Deschutes on Thursday

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Taking Tyler and my wife over the mountain on Thursday, but it's been years since I've fished the D much. I don't really remember where the decent public-access points are, nor which sections are better to fish this part of the year (upper, mid, or lower river).

We'll be after trout - not steelies. Wild redbands are cool, and it'd be a bonus to get into some brownies.

This will be Tyler's first trip fishing a serious trout river with a fly rod. I don't think my wife will be fishing much, if at all. This is a sort of memorial trip for her late brother (he died a year ago, the day before my B-day.)

The Deschutes was his favorite river to fish, but he didn't talk about it much, so I don't know where he fished regularly. The maps we found in his truck didn't have specific spots circled, but just about everything literature-wise and map wise was about the D.

I've wanted to make the trip over there and fish the flies I got from him (and I was hoping to fish one of his rods, but that won't happen unless his ex. finally decides what she's going with his fly rods by Wednesday) on his fav. river.

It'd also be a neat way to properly break in my new 6 weight.

Anyone familiar with the river, I'd appreciate tips on where to look for the public water. I really don't want to get stuck fishing at the Warm Springs boat ramp all day, if I can help it.

Thanks guys (and gals).

S
steelhead_slayer
The last road going South out of Maupin follows the river for a ways, and has a lot of access and campsites. I've caught a lot of trout there but no browns yet.

J
john montana
access on the d is great. tons of places to fish. i shot you a pm...

F
FlyBum
The better trout water on the Lower D would be Mecca Flats area. There will be a few steelhead but not in any major numbers yet. Right now that would be away from a majority of the crowds of the lower too. However, there are no browns there just Bull Trout, which people mistake for browns. If you would like to fish for brown trout the Middle D would be more what you are looking for. The best chance at some really nice bows would be at Mecca. There is a trail that if you like to you could hike all the way down to Trout Creek. The amount of available water in this location is astonishing. You can usually get a chance to fish where you would like at some point of the day even if it is crowded. Make sure you bring some cased caddis, pheasant tails, octos, stones stones stones. The best shot at catching a fish will be fishing nymphs, but by all means if you see some risers in the back eddies or where ever, be ready with that dry fly.

T
Tribal16
+1 on mecca flats. The road is a gravel bumpy road. Right next to the out of business gas station. NW Mecca Rd. You can drive down to a campsite and park there. There is a trail heading up along side the river for a ways with access to the river.

P.s Watch out for snakes!

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I'm always on guard for snakes, even in places that people claim there are none (I've had rattler encounters up by Butte Creek, but the people who claim to be in teh know say there are no snakes there. They're full of it.). I'll be taking a walking stick to deal with said legless, fanged critters. Hopefully the weather will be cool enough that the snakes will be sluggish.

L
lilsalmon
Its all good....trout creek, harpham flats, mecca.....I love that river and can't wait to go again. Tell your wife (sorry I don't remember her name, its the age thing...29 sucks) that she must fish....remember Shady Cove?

O
OnTheFly
Mecca is a good one or any water between there and Trout Creek. I think the fish get bigger in that area than by Maupin. #10 beadhead Prince Nymphs work well with an indicator.

T
Trout
Mecca is a great place with a lot of access - some great nymphing water. Upstream from the parking area is where I caught my 20 inch redside. A number 8 black stone (weighted) and a number 10 or 12 beadhead Prince nymph tied about 1ft behind the stone (I just tie Prince to the bend of the hook on the stone). This works great in some of the faster water sections. Gotta get those bugs to the bottom ASAP and use a floating indicator. Black or green hares ears work fine but I would also go with beadheads there as well ---- so on a #10 hares ear you might run a #16 copper john or flashback pheasant tail on a 1ft trailing setup as above.

The road South of Maupin can be good too - but Mecca and Trout Creek seem quieter and the wide open desert views are great. Now that said ... if your wife is not fishing there ain't any shade to be had at the Mecca parking area unless you want to hike a 1/2 mile or so down stream. South of Maupin has more trees and greenery.

Have a great time

H
halibuthitman
I was on the lower river below the res today, But steel fishin, and all I can say is the salmon and steel fishing is unbelievable right now.. good luck up above with the trouts..

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I'll probably be bringing the 8 weight, and for sure my switch rod (but it's a light switch rod...) - in case I get the bug to nymph for steel. I'd be happy as a pig in shipoop though just getting a bunch of bends in the 6 weight from the red bands, especially if they've got a little size to them.

You swinging intruders for the big fishees, or traditional wets?

B
bigsteel
tons of access on the lower river,just follow the access road