Deschutes in Bend 4/19

jamisonace
jamisonace
I picked up 8 or 9 fish tonight in Bend. I have a deep run that I like to fish near the hotel where I stay. Two years ago I caught a 7lb brown on a size 14 hares ear. Tonight the hares ear was popular again but I had to get it deep so I put on a big weighted stone fly. Both flies worked but the smaller fly got more fish. The biggest fish were whitefish again but I ended up with 5 trout too. At one point I broke off the hares ear so I put on a bhpt and got two quick strikes. The second was something big that I couldn't get off the bottom but it slipped off pretty quick. Pretty much any nymph in the size 12-16 is working. Sorry no pics...again but I'll get some before the week is up.

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
That's nice to know. I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot more time in the Bend area now that my Uncle has moved there. Three things he likes doing: flyfishing, duck hunting, and spending 4 months out of the year in his condo on Kauai. And he's retired. Sickening isn't it.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
That's not sickening if he makes room for you to visit in Kauai! I always look forward to working up here a few weeks each year. I like it more when I can be here during the Salmon Fly hatch but it's good this time of year too.

T
Thuggin4Life
Way to go man sounds really fun out there.

O
OnTheFly
How much south of Bend do you live?

Irishrover
Irishrover
I made it back ove here to Culver. Can't wait to hit the river C U there.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
I live in Springfield but my job brings me over here on occasion.
OnTheFly said:
How much south of Bend do you live?

O
OnTheFly
Irishrover said:
I made it back ove here to Culver. Can't wait to hit the river C U there.

I'll expect a report.;)

M
michigan_transplant
any chance you could tell me where this is on the Deschutes. I am headed over to Bend this weekend.

Irishrover
Irishrover
michigan_transplant said:
any chance you could tell me where this is on the Deschutes. I am headed over to Bend this weekend.
Sure no problem. It is located in Deschutes County west of the town of Terrebonne. Terrebonne is north of Redmond which is noth of Bend. From hwy 97 in Terrebonne go west on Lower Bridge Rd. Just stay on the that road and you will come to the bridge. Just before you get to the bridge you will see a parking lot off to the left with large old polar trees. That's the spot. You can walk up the trail a bit and fish or head to the bridge and go down stream. What you might not want to do is what I did my first time there, and that is head straight for the river. There are some trails through the tule reeds to the river they are a muddy boot sucking mess of a way to get to the river. Check it out on Google earth and you'll have any idea of where it is at. Good Luck

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
OnTheFly said:
I'll expect a report.;)
You'll get one I hope it's a good one. It's been raining a lot over here today hope that doesn't mess the river up.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I posted some pics to the original post. Tonight was slow but it was pouring and the river was on the rise. I managed one nice sized whitefish and snapped a photo for Barb. I also added some pics of the river from my room. I don't know what kind of bird that is in the picture but they are all over out here. Hopefully tomorrow will bring more fish and more pics.

Reactions: n8r1