Deschutes help - stat!

M
Modest_Man
Float this weekend got changed to the Deschutes from the John Day. We leave tomorrow, I have like 10 hours to prepare fishing gear. :confused:

So, we're floating from Trout Creek down to I don't know where (4 days). The regs say no fishing from a floating device, so I can't float and fish. If any campsites are on the reservation (I have no idea if they are) I need to buy a reservation permit (ugh, $42 for two people for three days)...From my book it looks like all the campsites are off the reservation.

What sort of flies should I bring for targeting trout on the Deschutes for 4 days with a 4wt? Having never caught a fish with a fly pole before...

I doubt chinook are going to be that far up yet, and it's kind of early for summer steelhead.

Anyone know of a fly shop on the way from the Portland/Salem area to Warm Springs? There is one outside of Sandy right? I'm going to need different flies...

Last edited:
S
steelhead_slayer
i wouldnt worry about the tribal permit. there are good camping sites all along the river. if your nymphing try stone flies and prince nymphs. and if your fishing dry flies go with the stimulator

Last edited:
N
n8r1
Hopefully you get this in time. There is a fly shop called "The Fly Shop" right in Warm Springs that can hook you up with the right flies and anything else you need.

O
OnTheFly
I've done this srtretch of river several times. It is a two day float straight down or four day if you're fishing, to the Sandy Beach down stream from Maupin. If you're fishing at the same time then I'm assuming your take out will be in Maupin. Rapids will be White Horse, Buckskin Mary, Wapinitia, Box Car, and Oak Springs. You will miss Oak Springs if you take out in Maupin. You have to be completely out of the boat to fish. Use salmon flies, princes, gold rib hares stimulators, and any thing else others can tell you. Camping can be done on the east shore otherwise the Indians may have a problem with you on the west side. You will need boaters permit for each day 8 bucks/day and you can get them online and print them. Bring plenty of water as there is none until you get to Maupin. One more thing , read your regs! Chinook and bull trout are off limits! There's always a chance for a steelhead but I'd wait for the fall. Good luck and watch for snakes.:)

Jim

Last edited:
M
Modest_Man
Roger-niner. Thanks guys. Back to finishing up packing.

I found the Riffle Fly Shop in Madras, but nothing actually in Warm Springs?

Last edited:
Reactions: lilsalmon
N
n8r1
Modest_Man said:
Roger-niner. Thanks guys. Back to finishing up packing.

I found the Riffle Fly Shop in Madras, but nothing actually in Warm Springs?

Unless it's closed in the past 14 days, it should be there. I was just in there on 5/6. Coming from Portland on 26, the shop is on the left hand side as you start up the grade toward Madras. It's on the far end of Warm Springs. It's set back 50 yards or so from the highway but there's signage that you can't miss.

L
lilsalmon
I believe the fly shop in Warm Springs just opened not too long ago.....have a good time...we will be there on the 27th

M
Modest_Man
Ah, ok. Maybe that's why I can't find anything on the internet about it. We'll be there tomorrow - Tuesday. This is a rafting trip, I'm just bringing my fishing stuff along for when we make camp.

O
OnTheFly
I prefer the fly fishing shop in Welches but that's just me.
Trout Creek to the mouth will take 4 days and you'll have to pull out at sandy Beach and launch again below Shears Falls at Buckhollow.