Deschutes chrome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B
bigsteel
So me and lilsalmon figured we hit the deschutes one more time for the year and the weather was great 70+ both days and no rain..we were just going after trout so i had my 5wt with 5 and 3x tippet mis matched on my funky leader..we pulled a few trout early but it was kind of slow so we swithed over to nymphing and it paid off:dance::dance: i hit this nice seam with my nymph rig,,gold ribbed hares ear and a morrish super pupa as my point fly..and the second time through the slot,,WHAM hammer down....this fish spooled me right off the bat cause i had my drag set to nothing(fun for trout) and he ran straight for the middle of the river,,so as i start reeling in the dang guy ran again straight down from me,,,so i had to bush wack for a little ways til i could get a better landing area on him.Lilsalmon was my netter and she was awesome,,she could see the fish and looks at me and says I DONT THINK THIS FISH WILL FIT DAVE.so she scooped him up and got him in there.the whole time im thinkin this thing is a huge whitefish cause it didn't jump just sheer power under the water,,so when she brought him over i about had a heart attack!!!!!!!!!!this beautiful 26 inch deschutes steelhead is now my prized fish for the year,,,the fight and the whole scenario will be etched in my mind forever now..

I am still on cloud 9 from the catch,,as you know i am an avid trout fishermen and not really a true steelheader,but this was just amazing...

All in all a great deschutes trip,,which it always is,,but this fish has made a lifelong memory for me:):)

• october22,2010 5.jpg
  • october22,2010 7.jpg
  • october22,2010 6.jpg
Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Great post, nice pictures, good job Dave!

H
halibuthitman
careful... its moments like this that create obsessive steelheaders! awsome fish but I hope you still have an even better fish for your fish of the year!!!

F
fishingfreak
Awesome Story! Great pics! Definetely some darn good memories! Congrats to the both of you for the catching and netting!

FF

B
BobbiDollPDX
Sounds like that was a lot of fun to catch. Great fish!

B
bigsteel
theres an even funnier part to this story,,ill let lilsalmon tell you guys

A
autofisher
You're a beast!!! Not a bad consolation prize for losing at FF that week.

O
OnTheFly
Wow Dave! That picture puts it all in perspective after seeing it for the first time from the one you sent me on the cell phone Saturday. A New Zealander would have said to you 'Good on you mate'!

L
lilsalmon
Okay, so I am being forced :D to tell this story...what Dave forgot to mention we had just been to the hatchery and walked the railroad tracks for a bit. When we were leaving we stopped at this pond at the hatchery where they had these HUGE fish and we were like, Wouldn't it be awesome to catch one like that here on the Deschutes....hehe.

The fight in that fish was awesome and soooo unexpected...it was way cool. Good job Dave!!!! We worked the bank up and down for a bit and about an hour later ended up back at the same spot....being that I was nymphing also cuz they wanted nothing to do with dry flies.....I get into a snag.....grrrr. Thinking that I am going to loose my whole line I pull and there is this flash.....no way!!!!! Fish on......Guess what....same fish...what are the odds of that. There were telltale signs but yeah...same fish. He didn't fight near as hard this time but we got a couple of pics and gently put him back in the water........:D

B
bigdog
Nice work out there you to. Oh and Dave you need to work on the cam skills there man :lol:

O
OnTheFly
lol. Fish is think'n.... 'Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on Me!'

F
flux
A Deschutes steelhead on a 5 wt rod?! I can only imagine how awesome that would be. I look forward to the day I catch my first one!

kirkster
kirkster
lilsalmon said:
Okay, so I am being forced :D to tell this story...what Dave forgot to mention we had just been to the hatchery and walked the railroad tracks for a bit. When we were leaving we stopped at this pond at the hatchery where they had these HUGE fish and we were like, Wouldn't it be awesome to catch one like that here on the Deschutes....hehe.

The fight in that fish was awesome and soooo unexpected...it was way cool. Good job Dave!!!! We worked the bank up and down for a bit and about an hour later ended up back at the same spot....being that I was nymphing also cuz they wanted nothing to do with dry flies.....I get into a snag.....grrrr. Thinking that I am going to loose my whole line I pull and there is this flash.....no way!!!!! Fish on......Guess what....same fish...what are the odds of that. There were telltale signs but yeah...same fish. He didn't fight near as hard this time but we got a couple of pics and gently put him back in the water........:D

Awesome story, I could only imagine the story that fish is telling right now.

T
TTFishon
Great job guys! Nice looking fish!

S
skunk
That's the beauty of fishing, always the unexpected that carries us through till the next time. Way to go!

M
Mike123
Awesome guys!! Those are some beeuuuteee's!!! :)

R
Reed
What a gr8 way to top off the season! Congrats!

F
fisherwilly
WOW! Great job on getting some chrome. At least you both got a steelhead, even if it was the same one. Did you guys catch any "trout"? I was thinking about going down there and fishing sometime soon.

troutdude
troutdude
The Dynamic Duo strikes yet again. GO TEAM!

And now we also know that they are also confirmed members of "Angler's Anxiety Anonymous"!

J
JeannaJigs
Lol nice job on gettin' the same fish, that's crazy. That guy was hungry lol.