Deschutes camping

B
bigsteel
headed over to the maupin area monday for a float trip,,,i was wondering if anyone knew of some camping areas nearby.....if anyone is gonna be in the area hit me up and well fish.........i can't wait first deschutes fly fishing

troutdude
troutdude
Go git 'em Biggie!!!

O
OnTheFly
There are many camping spots all along the river between Shears Falls and the locked gate. Where are you putting in at? Have fun shooting through Wapinitia, Box Car and Oak Springs. A better trip imo would be the two day float starting at Buck Hollow just below Shears to the mouth. No big rapids and no road access just prime fish habitat!

Irishrover
Irishrover
OnThe Fly is right bout those camp spots lots of them. My favorite was one of the first ones north on Maupin on the eastside of the river. I think it is called Oak Springs. Just be ready for the train coming by about 3am. O'boy was that loud!:shock:

B
bigsteel
all i know is were meeting him at henrys deli in maupin then follow him over to a launch..he said from8am to 8pm so im sure well cover quite a bit of water,,,but ill be staying an extra day or so to explore around....could you guys elaborate on this locked gate,,,is it on descutes river rd?u just park there and walk along the river?

B
beaverfan
troutdude said:
Go git 'em Biggie!!!

Biggie biggie biggie can't you see
sometimes your fly rod hypnotizes me
and I just love yo' castin' ways
I guess that's why they hooked and you so tired

B
bigsteel
beaverfan said:
Biggie biggie biggie can't you see
sometimes your fly rod hypnotizes me
and I just love yo' castin' ways
I guess that's why they hooked and you so tired
:lol::lol::lol: i love it

Irishrover
Irishrover
Up river from Maupin if you go up the road you will come to a "Locked Gate". It is actually a gate that goes across the road. The group that owns the property allow folks to walk and I believe bike up the road. If you are a member of the group that owns the property you'll have a key to the gate and be able to drive in.

When you cross the bridge over the Deschutes go to the right and take the lower road along the river. Go past the Oasis and follow the road up river. On the way back stop at the Oasis for a great cheese burger and a beer!

When you are out on the banks of the Deschutes watch out for poision oak! I've been unlucky a couple of times. There are spots near South Junction I won't fish any more because of that stuff.

You can also go down river from Maupin and find good water to fish. I wish I could tell you more about the "Locked Gate" The story is bouncing areound in my head right now. It just so far back in my head that it will take a while for it to come back to my memory.

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
thanks Irishrover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O
OnTheFly
Irishrover's memory is correct. It might be about 7 miles up stream from Maupin to the gate and the public can drive to it then walk in for miles and fish. Lucky are those who know someone with a key. It sounds like the stretch of water you'll be floating is the most rafted area on the river. In peak rafting season, floating and fishing this section would not be pleasurable unless you're sporting a water cannon simply for self defence. If you can find the spots, there are good places to fish on the west side opposite the road and away from the RR track. Irish is dead right about the 3am freight train....Thundering, roaring sound followed by, finger nails on a chauk board, screeching steel wheels. God awfull thing to hear from a tent at that time especially after a night of binge drinking.

Last edited:
M
Markcanby
:lol::lol::lol: That's the spot I chukar hunt in Nov an Dec. I have been planning on taking the family over there camping but maybe not now that I have heard about the train.:lol::lol:
Hey biggie as you go up the road along the river about 6 miles in there will be a huge bluff on your right (2000ft) we climbed that last year hunting.:confused::rolleyes::lol: Take a long look an tell me if you want to go hunting with us next year.:lol:

B
bigsteel
sounds like on foot ill be better off on the railroad bridge side......you gonna be over that way monday or tuesday onthefly

B
bigsteel
Markcanby said:
:lol::lol::lol: That's the spot I chukar hunt in Nov an Dec. I have been planning on taking the family over there camping but maybe not now that I have heard about the train.:lol::lol:
Hey biggie as you go up the road along the river about 6 miles in there will be a huge bluff on your right (2000ft) we climbed that last year hunting.:confused::rolleyes::lol: Take a long look an tell me if you want to go hunting with us next year.:lol:
ill go if i can get a gun that shoots 2000 feet:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

O
OnTheFly
hey mark, The train is all part of the adventure. Your kids'll love it. Besides, I think it builds character.:D

hey dave, chucker hunting with markcanby means you need to become a mountain goat on steroids.:shock: