Deschutes birthday bash

F
FilthyUrbanite
With my birthday looming in late april I was thinking of crossing the big one off my list and going to the lower D for the first time. I am not new to fishing by any means but my flyfishing experience has been limited to warmwater species in Washington and gorgeous searuns on the Alsea. I was planning on taking a friend with me and camping out along the river and just wading and fishing. Any tips or pointers for this month? I was looking to go around the 27th and staying until early may at the latest.

Reactions: Echskech
DOKF
DOKF
Have fun, and enjoy the beautiful waters. Maybe catch some fish?

Check the reports from the local Deschutes fly shops for up to date info

Reactions: Diehard
S
Socaaron
I'd start looking at the local fly shop fishing reports. Depending on weather the "World Famous" salmon fly hatch could start popping off around then. Very weather based but if it warms up and stays warm it could happen. They hatch has started earlier then historical these last few years. If that is the case the Maupin area is your best bet for access to gear and beer. Either of the shops in town could point you in the right direction and give you some tips. Just be prepared for a larger number of people than usual. Finding camping isn't too difficult but you'll see a lot of people working the river

Reactions: Diehard
S
Socaaron
Was just looking at the fly shop reports myself and noticed that the Canyon shop is now closed and operates as a guided trip only outfit. Apparently John closed the retail portion of the shop last year FYI

Echskech
Echskech
Sounds like the March browns are your best bet for top water action. Size 6-10 stonefly nymphs could also do some real work down deep. I was out in central Oregon week before last and sz-14 black hares ear were the mvp fly all weekend.
The stones are starting to roll šŸ˜Ž.

https://deschutesangler.com/blogs/fishing-report