Depot Bay questions

T
the_intimidator03
I will be booking a trip for bottom fish and crabbing with depot bay tradewinds charter... love that place.... now the question is.... what about fishing off the rocks, or clamming in the area even down to newport. I hear about the south jetty, and the fingers (which i see on google earth altho they dont look like much)
Where is this whale outlook place as well? ive seen several references to it for cabby's, lings, bass, greenling. me want to know me want feesh :-D
thanks in advanced everyone

O
Oregonchris
the_intimidator03 said:
I will be booking a trip for bottom fish and crabbing with depot bay tradewinds charter... love that place.... now the question is.... what about fishing off the rocks, or clamming in the area even down to newport. I hear about the south jetty, and the fingers (which i see on google earth altho they dont look like much)
Where is this whale outlook place as well? ive seen several references to it for cabby's, lings, bass, greenling. me want to know me want feesh :-D
thanks in advanced everyone
:D
You are off to a great start!!!!!!:D:lol::D:lol: Go to the rocks and fish...if you could chumt hat would help.

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
well for the charter i may have a chummer... my mother lol. i got some 1 1/2 oz and 1 oz jig heads and i think 6 inch curly tail jigs. other than that i need more supplies...

T
The Nothing
you can get easly get out on the rocks in Depoe Bay, or go a few minutes north an try Boiler Bay too

T
the_intimidator03
ok... i figure ill nab some sand shrimps or squid, and bring my 1 oz and 1 1/2 oz jigs with curly tails and give it a whirl... about clams in around newport-depot? my mom is intrested in clams

T
the_intimidator03
alright i got a 2 or 3 weeks probably to figure all this stuff out :-D im antsy tho

C
Chief Jim
the_intimidator03 said:
alright i got a 2 or 3 weeks probably to figure all this stuff out :-D im antsy tho

You can fish underneath the bridge at Depoe Bay, ut the bigger cabezon and lings are caught off the rocks at the mouth of the channel and to the left toward the Spouting Horn. You can also try Boiler Bay and Fishing Rock (to the north of the Surf Rider Motel. Take the first left after the motel and follow the road to the park.) Caution: Be sure of your footing and watch the tides in all of these places.
The best clamming that I have found is at Garibaldi and Newport. At Newport there are several places, under the bridge, behind the Aquarium and next to the OSU parking lot. Take the time to go into the ODF office (on the way to the public pier) and pick up their pamphlets on surf fishing and clamming. Some good info and its free! Again be careful on the mud flats. Stuff looks fairly solid, but you can mire down well above your ankles very suddenly and you can become very stuck. I did just that a few weeks back and might still be there if I hadn't gotten some help. BTW, if you happen to fall down in the mud flat, don't expect even your mother to take you in. This stuff doesn't smell like red roses!
Hope this helps.
Chief Jim

T
the_intimidator03
lol my mother would have no choice LOL thank you for the good info