Denied! ramp closures on the Willamette

OREGON FISHING FORUM

bass

Most Featured
I loaded up the truck with the kayak and all my gear last night ready to hit the upper Willie for a smallmouth fest.

I got up at 4:45am and thought to myself "I should just double check to make sure the ramp is open". My first choice was Willamette park in West Linn. As of Thursday the 9th all West Linn park boat ramps are closed. Dang.

No problem, I will just go to Roger's landing in Newberg. Check the website and All Yamhill County parks are closed to the public. Dang.

Maybe George Rogers (even though I did not want to fish the lower river). All parking areas to Lake Oswego parks are closed.

I know Hagg is still open and some ramps in the lower river but I figure those are just going to be that much more crowded. Sadly I unloaded my kayak and gear and now I am sitting here typing this message instead of kicking bass.

Oh well, I think I am going to have to be OFF the water for a bit. Looking at the data I have to think that things will open up for the 4th of July if not sooner. Maybe I will replace the line on all my reels.

jamisonace

Most Featured
In Douglas County the parks are closed but the ramps remain open. In other words, the only part of the park that is accessible is the ramp. I actually had to drive to the ramp and read the sign to see it.

They had originally closed the ramps too but within less than 24 hours of the closure, the commissioners decided to leave the ramps open.

bass

Most Featured
I saw that the core of engineers had re-opened some of the ramps that they had originally closed. Similar to your situation. Park is closed but the ramp is open. West Linn went 180 degrees from that. Boat ramp is closed but the walking paths in the park are open.

I will call and check on Rogers landing for sure but the website just says that all parks are closed to the public so I am not hopeful.

EOBOY

@bass I was thinking of you this morning and figured you were trying to figure a way to get out. Thought I detected a bit of frustration in you post on the pike minnows. I belong to the OFC (last few months till july not renewing) our ponds are open, might have to hit one soon. Would love to hit the Willy to get "some".

bass

Most Featured
@EOBOY, I was not trying to be difficult in the Pikieminnow post, but I did not want anyone to do what I did and get loaded up to go fish someplace only to find out that it was closed - even worse if they made the drive.

I am now of the mind that this will be over in a while and I will just have to fish extra hard when things return to normal :) I did hit Hagg last weekend with @portlandrain. I will write up that report later today. The bite at Hagg was pretty decent but I think I will avoid it for now. With the nice weather and the closures everything that is open will be getting crowded.

I thought today was going to be my last trip for a while but that turned out to be wishful thinking.

I loaded up the truck with the kayak and all my gear last night ready to hit the upper Willie for a smallmouth fest.

I got up at 4:45am and thought to myself "I should just double check to make sure the ramp is open". My first choice was Willamette park in West Linn. As of Thursday the 9th all West Linn park boat ramps are closed. Dang.

No problem, I will just go to Roger's landing in Newberg. Check the website and All Yamhill County parks are closed to the public. Dang.

Maybe George Rogers (even though I did not want to fish the lower river). All parking areas to Lake Oswego parks are closed.

I know Hagg is still open and some ramps in the lower river but I figure those are just going to be that much more crowded. Sadly I unloaded my kayak and gear and now I am sitting here typing this message instead of kicking bass.

Oh well, I think I am going to have to be OFF the water for a bit. Looking at the data I have to think that things will open up for the 4th of July if not sooner. Maybe I will replace the line on all my reels.
Thanks for posting this! I was thinking of trying to launch from Roger's Landing, but guess not. You just saved me $50 on a fishing license. I already decided not to fish for salmon this year, but was thinking of bass fishing. Not gonna waste the $$$. I can see Kate Brown closing fishing down any day now.

bass

Most Featured
I think that at least all the ramps will close soon. Fishermen are bad enough but once pleasure boaters start showing up en masse as well there is no way that social distancing will be possible at the ramps.

As an FYI, I did call Yamhill parks and rec and they confirmed that all the ramps are closed for now.

Last edited:
I think that at least all the ramps will close soon. Fishermen are bad enough but once pleasure boaters start showing up en masse as well there is no way that social distancing will be possible at the ramps.

As an FYI, I did call Yamhill parks and rec and they confirmed that all the ramps are closed for now.
No doubt, Wednesday was already really busy on the lower river.
Thanks for the heads up on the closures, that's a real bummer.

bass

Most Featured
I spent this past weekend upgrading my crate and camera mount. I think next on the list will be a teardown, re-lube and line change on all of my reels. The fish better watch out once this is all over. I will be a mean, lean fishing machine, pure death on the water :)

Top Bottom