Delta Ponds

W
willfishforfood
I went out to Delta Ponds for the first time since... maybe May or June. They are doing a lot of work out there to create more bank access, its great. I fished the north side of the first pond on the left as you drive away from north. The water was somewhat cloudy and very weedy as usual. I hooked into a tiny LM and an 8 inch smallie, not bad for a spur of the moment couple hours on a Sunday. There are tons of tiny LM in the shallows and weeds as well as perch and carp (BIG carp). I caught the LM on a blue fox spinner and the smallie on a topwater chug bug. I heard it before I felt the strike because I was watching a blue heron off in the distance, got the heart beating a little faster.:D

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Almost missed you

Almost missed you

Hey,Willfishforfood,how in the heck did I miss your post? :think: I try to read them all before I retire for the evening. Sure glad I spotted yours. Delta Ponds? I can only guess those are down in the Eugene area? I would love to hook up with a BIG bass, and don't really give a hoot if it has a big mouth or a small one. ;) I have caught a few on the Santiam out of Jefferson, but they were fairly small (12"-14"). I was fishing for steel and was psyched for a big fight and darn near ripped their lips off. :shock: Wouldn't you know, when I decide I'm going to target them, they are nowhere to be found. That's ok, I'll find them sooner or later. :naughty: :D
Good luck to you down there. Be safe.
Barb

R
RIVERFISHER
i fish a lot at delta and not only are there little bass but big bass... i have caught some 8 pounders out of delta and i dont like wat they are doin for the bank access stuff.. they really ruined a lot of good spots that big bass were at...but wat can u do they think its makin it better....i know that they did mess up a lot of spots and since they did that i havnt been gettin into many lunkers this lastyear....

Troutski
Troutski
Have you ever put a toon or tube on the ponds ? Will change your whole perception of the place. There are a plethora of 10#+ fish in them...

R
RIVERFISHER
i use a 8 foot livingston or my friends 12 foot jon boat and fish all over the ponds... even down the canal next to the delta freeway area...theres a lot of bass in those also...

Troutski
Troutski
A very good hidden fishery indeed. Not many anglers capitalize on this close in bonanza. I still remember my first experience in a float tube, first time I rubbed up against a tree or kick a stump...you hold your breath and hope its not some sort of predator... I mean I knew it wasn't anything but my brain insisted it was...you know who won that battle.
Great ponds all of them, ever tried the Wildish ponds near Mount Pisga...another hidden jewel, doable from shore or toon....

Chuck

R
RIVERFISHER
yes i have floated in to the wildish ponds on the pontoons from the river .....i have seen huge bass in those but havnt really gotten to many...i usually have a few bass lures but mostly only have cooler of beer my mini trout rod and 1 or 2 lures( yellow and black or just white) and am nailin trout.....well im glad ro see another basser in here and cannot wait till possibly meet some out at delta or other ponds around.....creswell is awsome and has some giant bass in there... i have been intop some bass that have ran through 12 pound p line...... i havnt ever broke of 12 pound p line with a steelhead even...and i wont float tube or pontoon in delta for fear of gettin gobbled up bye a pond creature....lol...

R
RIVERFISHER
man i drive bye delta ponds everyday in my work truck just wishin it was summer... altho i might try it out saturday for some bass.. i been seeing lots a boils as i drive bye and i know it might be the carp but what if it isn't....i have caught bass out of there in winter but very rarely has that happened.....being a bass fishermnan at heart i gotta go lol waters been callin my name.. so saturday is bass day and sunday will be alsea day:)

F
flippinbaits
good luck hope u pull out a ten pounder :clap:

Troutski
Troutski
Winter Bassin....

Winter Bassin....

You know you have a better than average chance of pulling out a Hog, the pressure is all most nil...slow retrieve and patients are the rule. Tight lines and good luck.

Chuck

R
RIVERFISHER
ya i know.. i got of work early today and am thinkin bout goin out....i drove bye there tody and seen the water boilin again....well hopefully the wife givews the ok to go:p if not ill prab go anyways..........

W
willfishforfood
winter bass

winter bass

I would love to hear how any attempts go this time of year. The bass may be hard to find and likely very inactive. Chances are very good that the movement you're seeing is from carp, they always seem active.

R
RIVERFISHER
well got back from delta.. was there for about 4 hours seen a lot of carp....i did manage to make a bass mad and he hit a topwater worm...( the secret worm that is)....didn't get to set hook tho but seen him.. he was prab a 2.5 maybe 3 pounder... got a few other bites slow retrievin my worm and makin it work... tried a few trick worms also and got one really good strike... for the most part tho yes a lot of the movement was carp but never know tho...i did get the one up to the top.....

C
chris61182
If they're still willing to hit topwater they're probably still somewhat active, I'd say the odds are in your favor. Keep it up, I want to see some December bass! :)

Troutski
Troutski
Good on you...

Good on you...

RIVERFISHER said:
well got back from delta.. was there for about 4 hours seen a lot of carp....i did manage to make a bass mad and he hit a topwater worm...( the secret worm that is)....didn't get to set hook tho but seen him.. he was prab a 2.5 maybe 3 pounder... got a few other bites slow retrievin my worm and makin it work... tried a few trick worms also and got one really good strike... for the most part tho yes a lot of the movement was carp but never know tho...i did get the one up to the top.....

Right on, nice to hear someone is getting some action. Nothing will get the blood pumping quicker than a targeted fish munching on your presentation....Winter fishing - sweet.

Chuck

R
RIVERFISHER
ya it was nice.... i wouldnt quite call them active but sorta... i think its all the weird weather we been havin can't make up there mind....

O
oregonkayakangler
Anyone fish for bass here? I know that it is almost all dry right now...not sure if it is from the construction or river level.

I have been wanting to kayak fish out there for bass and was wondering if it is worth the time...as well as a good place to launch from.

F
Finneus Polebender
Use to be great still fish there all the work has disrupted the eco system big time ! so much change could not really tell ya where to launch, but with all the work they have basically opened the whole place up ! May want to get it while you can have heard rumors of a total shut down of fishing there ! my sons were there about 3 weeks ago did good one day then nadda the second trip. Pretty sure they will do their best to ruin a great bass fishery ,theyve got off to a good start so far by eliminating most of the good shore cover . Guess I got lucky and found my private digs just in time.

O
oregonkayakangler
I figured it may not be worth it due to all the construction, water level, and...all that noise!

Guess I will head to my secret spot tomorrow instead.

F
Finneus Polebender
Good luck to ya there are fish at delta the one good trip the boys caught 5 over 3lbs , second trip they caught about a half dozen all 2lbs and under. The bass bite has really slowed but still gettin a few here and there. Think the best fishin has been the later afternoons and into evening on the warmer days , seems like the mornin bite has been almost non existent for the last couple weeks!