deformed fish?

R
R6anton
I caught about 5 trout on friday that looked like they were hemmorraging (sp) right under their skin and ones gums looked swollen and almost melted looking then a couple other had these big red bumps on their eyes. It looked real gross and it seemed like they were all recent hatchery 8-10" amazingly they were strong and healthy then I caught another that looked like one of the blood spots blew up and it looked like a bite mark or something.

anyone else?

PS.... second time I've been out to Hagg this year and had a boat drag our line come on give bankers a little room :naughty:

T
Throbbit _Shane
R6anton said:
I caught about 5 trout on friday that looked like they were hemmorraging (sp) right under their skin and ones gums looked swollen and almost melted looking then a couple other had these big red bumps on their eyes. It looked real gross and it seemed like they were all recent hatchery 8-10" amazingly they were strong and healthy then I caught another that looked like one of the blood spots blew up and it looked like a bite mark or something.

anyone else?

PS.... second time I've been out to Hagg this year and had a boat drag our line come on give bankers a little room :naughty:

You should of took a picture of the fish.

R
R6anton
yeah forgot it... someone else posted they caught a couple of the same fish in the "Hagg Sat" thread. Caught them in complete seperate areas also one by the damn the rest by ramp A

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah some pictures would help. I have never seen this before. As for the boats I would bring a good sized piece of lead or grab a nearby rock and hity there boat if they ever did that to me without a care in the world.

R
R6anton
Thuggin4Life said:
Yeah some pictures would help. I have never seen this before. As for the boats I would bring a good sized piece of lead or grab a nearby rock and hity there boat if they ever did that to me without a care in the world.

yeah Im all for relaxing when Im out fishing and pretty laid back so probably not going to risk injuring someone, but it is frustrating

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah but still you could just ding there boat and they would stay back from then on. Maybe I just get to mad to quick when it comes to other aholes on the water when I try to respect everyone. So were theres blood things only on the hatchery fish?

B
beaverfan
I bet it's that mold or whatever that they pick up in the hatchery. Hagg lake is known for having fish with sores. Another lake that gets a lot of em is Timothy.

D
dinghy
seems to be skin related.I skinned a couple like that for the smoker and the meat looks fine.

D
Denduran87
Ill be up at Hagg tomorrow, not sure on the time, but ill post some pics if i catch them with the sores. The wife and I went last Thursday and caught 9, 2 had those sores but i cooked them up already. Little bit scary that others are catching them 2. I thought I just grabbed em too hard because I didn't notice it until I was cleaning them. The meat looked fine though. As for the boaters i like to give them a wake up call with my second rod and cast about 10 feet from there boat, if they don't head out ill go closer( depending on what reaction i get from them from the first cast is where ill cast the second lol)

O
Outdoor_Myers
I had people do that to me on the mississippi I actually had an incident of a flying weighted line with a 1oz hit a boater once...

D
Denduran87
well we went up Thursday and caught 25 fish and about half of them had the sores. ill get pics soon as i get batteries for the camera it died on us while we were out.

S
slimyguts
Takin the kid out there on Sat. Any hints as to where / what you doin? Stockers are great for the kid, then when he gets bored of them, daddy gets to chase some lunkers!

Troutski
Troutski
Focus everyone....this thread is about deformed fish. Hijacking a thread on this site will cost you two homemade lures, and a free trip to the person that had there thread hijacked.;)
Back to the original thread; I was a ODFW volunteer for quite a few years during my youth...once while working at a hatchery I noticed quite a few deformed Trout and asked the Fish guy and his reply was: "even in humans once in a while you get someone that has some sort of deformity, when you produce hundreds of thousands of fish per season you will undoubtedly have a few". Normally in the wild these fish would have probably not made it to a catchable size.
I wouldn't let it bother you...the fish are fine to eat, even better to release - for someone else to catch.

Chuck

D
Denduran87
a few is bit of an understatement there have been quite a few! Also when i was cleaning them most of the ones with deformities had wierd brown stuff on the inside of them throughout the organs. I will not be keeping these the next time i go thats for sure!

R
R6anton
Denduran87 said:
a few is bit of an understatement there have been quite a few! Also when i was cleaning them most of the ones with deformities had wierd brown stuff on the inside of them throughout the organs. I will not be keeping these the next time i go thats for sure!

Same here and they were caught from different areas, I think I used the term deformed incorrectly its more like huge bloody sores and they eventually hemorrage.

B
bassman503
Caught a trout at blue lake with a third fin under its belly :D it was tasty though.

J
JeannaJigs
Did they have nasty spots like this one? This is a planter from the leaburg hatchery, caught in Carmen Reservoir last summer. I was told it's a parasitic growth.

Last edited by a moderator:
J
JeannaJigs
Ya I didn't eat that nasty thing lol but didn't let it go either...My dad will eat just about anything....

Guess it's pretty common with hatchery fish, though that was the first and only one I've caught that was gross like that...it otherwise was a vibrant beautifully colored fish with spectacular spotting

B
bassman503
The one I caught was just an extra fin sticking out, no spots or anything.

G
gottafish
I am seeing the same problems with the trout I have caught. Two of us fished last weekend and half of our catch looked really bad. They have some sort of disease and look too ugly to eat. I took photos and contacted ODFW, but no reponse so far. Has anyone else here contacted ODFW about this? If so, what response did you get?