Deerhorn Rd?

J
Jish@61
I am thinking about driving down deerhorn road by Mckenzie river. Has anyone flyfished that part it looks like it goes along side of Mckenzie river for awhile. Is there any place where I can park and walk to the river? I just moved here from like 3000 miles away.

hobster
hobster
Yes, Deerhorn has plenty of pull offs and great river access. I have fished just about every hole on that road for many years. There are lots of private residences but lots of pull offs in between. Many holes have trees so no back casting but if you can roll cast you are good. Pm me if you want more info or just hit the pull offs, they are quite evident and no worries about crossing private property. Good luck!

J
Jish@61
BTW, what flie color and size would be good for thus time of year on the Mckenzie?

DOKF
DOKF
On streams, my go to default dry is always an elk hair caddis #14. BWO and PMD are also good choices. For nymphing I always start with a #14 BH Prince, then try BH Pheasant Tail or Hare's Ear. After that, eenie meenie minie moe from my fly box ... Make sure you have a good selection of nymphs and dries to choose from.

Other more experienced fishers may have more informed suggestions ...

J
Jish@61
Ok thanks I bought like 20 flies from caddis fly shop but can't remember the names of em ,lol, I just got to look em up. Thanks again.

hobster
hobster
You can just tell the guys at Caddis fly where you want to fish and they will hook you up with the right flies. The suggestions are above are all good, The royal wuff is also a winner, as are swinging swinging wet flies.

J
Jish@61
Never heard of swinging wet fly?

hobster
hobster
There are some wet flies on the website I posted above. Just cast out in front of you or a little upstream and they sink down and the fish usually hit it on the swing when it is rising.

DOKF
DOKF
So many options to choose from, so little time.

J
Jish@61
So what are the limits on Mckenzie?

hobster
hobster
Jish@61 said:
So what are the limits on Mckenzie?
No wild fish!! There are some beautiful native redsides but they should be carefully unhooked in the water and released. Only hatcheries can be kept, the McKenzie has different regulations in different stretches of the river so make sure to do your homework. It’s kind of a headache really.

hobster
hobster
@rogerdodger is on top of all the regs maybe he will chirp in.
My foot has been in a boot for two months, damn I miss fishing. As soon as it’s better maybe we can hook up somewhere on the McKenzie @Jish@61

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
check the Willamette Zone first and note that for Steams it is C&R only except as noted in exceptions.

Check the exceptions for McKenzie River and Tribs. and we see that 5 hatchery trout per day can be retained in open sections marked with a *, and that appears to include the Deerhorn road area.

Reactions: hobster
J
Jish@61
Ok thanks. How fo I tell from hatchery and wild?

hobster
hobster
The adipose fin is clipped on hatchery fish. If it has a fin throw it back in! You can lose your license and get in trouble for taking wild fish, and there aren’t enough left so be very careful not to do that.

J
Jish@61
I will be careful. I don't want to keep wild ones.

Reactions: hobster and rogerdodger