Deer Horn boat ramp

R
rippin fish lips
Yesterday was my first time seein that ramp and fishing the water at that ramp. water looks awesome and it looks like it's a steelhead hole with lots of bank access during the summer. think ima fish the heck out of it this year.... Man am i STOKED!!

Troutski
Troutski
Get ready to SMILE..

Get ready to SMILE..

You have no idea how much fun you are about to hookup with... That area is famous for lunker fish, Steel and Trout alike...What pound test do you usually run ?
Tight Lines...

Chuck

J
JeannaJigs
Ohhh yeah. Lots of good steelhead water near there :)

R
rippin fish lips
Troutski said:
You have no idea how much fun you are about to hookup with... That area is famous for lunker fish, Steel and Trout alike...What pound test do you usually run ?
Tight Lines...

Chuck

I run 6 pound test!! it's the best!! and now that you just said that... looks like its going to be my playground this summer! I HAVE STARTED MY MISSION! :p

R
rippin fish lips
JeannaJigs said:
Ohhh yeah. Lots of good steelhead water near there :)

Thats what i like to read! lol ahhhh man im so STOKED!

B
bran_man
Deerhorn is a good spot!!! always quite a few cars there! I'll probably see you guys out there, this season, I'm out for blood!

R
rippin fish lips
bran_man said:
Deerhorn is a good spot!!! always quite a few cars there! I'll probably see you guys out there, this season, I'm out for blood!

Dude bro! I'm down to hook up and fish wit ya!! I'm sure ill see you out there! I will be fishing as much as i can this summer.

S
specialk0082
can't wait till it gets nice enough to take the toon over there

Troutski
Troutski
Drag system

Drag system

rippin fish[F[SIZE="4" said:
ONT="Comic Sans MS"][/SIZE] lips;178888]I run 6 pound test!! it's the best!! and now that you just said that... looks like its going to be my playground this summer! I HAVE STARTED MY MISSION! :p

I also run 6# on that water, I use to live over looking the 9th green at Deer-horn GC. Each day coming home from work I would stop and try another new spot, a great stretch of water. You ever try Spoons.... I sure love fishing them in that area. Redside's, Rainbows..I caught my first Bulltrout on that section of water.
Tight lines and be safe on the rivers.

Chuck

R
rippin fish lips
Troutski said:
I also run 6# on that water, I use to live over looking the 9th green at Deer-horn GC. Each day coming home from work I would stop and try another new spot, a great stretch of water. You ever try Spoons.... I sure love fishing them in that area. Redside's, Rainbows..I caught my first Bulltrout on that section of water.
Tight lines and be safe on the rivers.

Chuck

i prefer spoons over anything!! i start all my fishing trips with a spoon, then start going through the gear.

S
SantiamDrifter
rippin fish lips said:
i prefer spoons over anything!! i start all my fishing trips with a spoon, then start going through the gear.

You might want to try flipping those around. Spoons are a high impact bait. They create a lot of flash and sound wave's. They really target the aggressive fish, that’s why they hit hardware so violently. But when you run that through a drift what you’re doing is forcing the fish to either strike, or move away from it.

Take a boulder patch in the summer. The fish are gunna be holding behind those boulders, using the choppy water as cover. Fish also like these spots because the food comes to them. A small bug gets washed out from under a rock and tumbles down the river. The fish holding in the calm water behind a boulder quickly moves out into the faster water, grabs the bug, and then pulls back behind the rock.

But if you run a spoon through that water, the fish is either gunna strike it or move away. Taking with it any chance you have of hooking him. Instead what you should start doing is start out with your smallest profile baits. Then proceed to bigger and more impactful baits like your spoon. That way you can run a jig through the run without having to worry about the fish spooking. If the fish doesn’t take your small profile bait then hit him hard with a high impact bait. If he doesn’t strike or moves away then, well he wasn’t gunna bite anything.

R
rippin fish lips
SantiamDrifter said:
You might want to try flipping those around. Spoons are a high impact bait. They create a lot of flash and sound wave's. They really target the aggressive fish, that’s why they hit hardware so violently. But when you run that through a drift what you’re doing is forcing the fish to either strike, or move away from it.

Take a boulder patch in the summer. The fish are gunna be holding behind those boulders, using the choppy water as cover. Fish also like these spots because the food comes to them. A small bug gets washed out from under a rock and tumbles down the river. The fish holding in the calm water behind a boulder quickly moves out into the faster water, grabs the bug, and then pulls back behind the rock.

But if you run a spoon through that water, the fish is either gunna strike it or move away. Taking with it any chance you have of hooking him. Instead what you should start doing is start out with your smallest profile baits. Then proceed to bigger and more impactful baits like your spoon. That way you can run a jig through the run without having to worry about the fish spooking. If the fish doesn’t take your small profile bait then hit him hard with a high impact bait. If he doesn’t strike or moves away then, well he wasn’t gunna bite anything.

yeah i always start small and work my way up to the bigger size if fish arent biting. if fish are biting the big "bait" i fish small and change my tactics up. Changing/narrowing down your tactics will lead to success, its part of the game.

R
rippin fish lips
Been terrying into the trout everytime i go there... been seeing a lot of steely/salmon carcases there as i figure they are coming from the ppl in drift boats further up stream that are cleaning them there... but has there been any steelie action goin on there?

D
DYJ
I hooked a monster 18.5 inch trout about 10 days ago. As I was fighting this thing and it was jumping all over the place in the fast current I see a moster steely start jumper 15 feet out in the river from where I was wading.... the guide boat fishing the same hole from just above had hooked a nice fish and it went in the boat. They pulled anchor and floated down after that. I know when they floated in two rods where set up with divers and shrimp and the other looked like it was set up for back bouncing eggs into the hole. This is a hole that I fish from my coworkers property about 2 miles below Taylors landing. I assume that is where you are talkin about when you say deerhorn boat ramp?

R
rippin fish lips
DYJ said:
I hooked a monster 18.5 inch trout about 10 days ago. As I was fighting this thing and it was jumping all over the place in the fast current I see a moster steely start jumper 15 feet out in the river from where I was wading.... the guide boat fishing the same hole from just above had hooked a nice fish and it went in the boat. They pulled anchor and floated down after that. I know when they floated in two rods where set up with divers and shrimp and the other looked like it was set up for back bouncing eggs into the hole. This is a hole that I fish from my coworkers property about 2 miles below Taylors landing. I assume that is where you are talkin about when you say deerhorn boat ramp?

No im talkin about dearhorn boat ramp. there is some nice steel/trout water there, im still tryin to get my 1rst steel this year tho! It's been hard this year having to change it up each time and fish new spots when i go after them!