Deep Creek

K
Kais
i can't seem to find anything on deep creek, its trib of the clackams river. if anyone knows about it. what are the fishing regs, types of fish (steelhead, salmon, trout?).
any info willl help
thanks;);););)

B
beaverfan
If it's not in the reg book in the willamette zone then since it is a stream it is closed to fishing for salmon/steelhead. You seem to typically want to fish these tiny little streams with few if any fish, fish a little bigger water you might like the result. Deep Creek is also prime Coho spawning ground I would think twice before fishing there, walking in the wrong areas or using barbed hooks could really have an impact on the small native population of fish. It would be much wiser to just go the extra couple of miles to Eagle Creek and fish something with a good run of hatchery fish.

K
Kais
Ya i am interested in these little creeks because i don't know as much so i just like to get to know them. thanks for the info

T
tnffishman
a lot of EC coho head up it on accident, as well as it's own lil nate run. Illegal to fish for them though I think

N
nativefish
That creek gets native winter steelhead too, small number but they go up there.

K
Kais
So it is illigeal to fish for salmon and steelhead on the creek? cause i can't find anything about it anyhwere.
thanks

N
nativefish
I know that there is a lot of private property around the creek. So that would be illegal, however if you obey the retention laws such as not keeping native fish i believe you can fish there. I looked for information as well and couldnt find any. I do know fishing in the clackamas near the mouth of deep creek is a pretty classic spot to fish and people have been doing it for years.

H
halibuthitman
Kais said:
So it is illigeal to fish for salmon and steelhead on the creek? cause i can't find anything about it anyhwere.
thanks
no... you cannot fish steelhead or salmon in a stream or creek if not listed by fish and game, if it is not mentioned ( like as in the term, and all tributaries ) then the stream or river is closed to any sport fishing even catch and release fishing.

S
SmallStreams
Here's a lesson on how to read the regulations...

For Willamette Zone, check page 48 of the regulations, the big box where it says "Regulations for this zone:". "Species" are listed in the left column, so go down to Salmon/Steelhead. Heading over to the rightmost column, titled "Season". The season says "Closed in all waters unless noted by species under Special Regulations."

Page 49 has the start of the big table saying "Special Regulations for this zone:". The water bodies are listed alphabetically. If you do not find the water body listed, then it is closed for salmon/steelhead angling.