Decent evening for trout

F
FisherSteve
Went out to Hagg last night with my girls and wife... Typically this time of year being a bank fisherman I would hike in to hard to reach areas in creek arms and shoot for pan fish but my girls aren't much for hiking. We decided to hit the pier at boat ramp C and I seriously thought it would just be some time to soak up the sun and enjoy some scenery. Almost immediately after getting my daughter's Hanna Montanna fishing pole in the water it got hit hard. I had my two poles in the water, one with chartreuse power bait (dough) and the other bobber and worm (threaded). My daughters was baited with two yellow power eggs and wouldnt you know that was the trick, hers was also the shallowist pole (casting off the left side of the pier if you are facing the end of it). The first hit we did not land so reeled it in and cast out again and within about three minutes BAM fish on! A nice 11" fat rainbow! Needless to say I rigged up the other poles the same way as my daughter's pole and while doing so, she got another hit and she was landing her next fish, the water level is lower than the pier but still rather high for this time of year. It was a bigger fish than the one before and when she was lifting it over the side of the pier it snapped the line! Bummer :-( Anyhow, after that the bite was off and we left about 7pm - got there at 5:45pm - can't complain, all in all a surprise because I didn't think the trout would be that shallow this time of year so GO GET 'EM!

S
Spydeyrch
Nicely done. Sounds like you and your girls had a quick time there. A good fun time but a quick one none-the-less. :D :clap:

-Spydey

J
jabs67
Sounds like a good time for sure. :clap:

H
Hendo30
Thanks for the report and sharing, I hadnt seen a post on the Hagg thread for a bit and was begining to wonder if they just drained the lake..lol. Thanks again.

C
cowboysfan
I love to hear of kids catching fish, nice job!

F
FisherSteve
Yeah, like I said - I was pretty surprised to land some trout late July off the pier but they are there! My oldest daughter was finally excited about fishing!!!! Hopefully more to come.....

bass
bass
Great job FisherSteve! For fishing at Hagg, what time do you have to be off the lake? After reading your post I am thinking that going on a work day evening may be a fun idea. If I get them interested I may be pinging some folks here for some hike in panfish spots.

B
bernduffy
I've had the sheriff shoo me out at 9pm, but some times I've stayed later.

bass
bass
bernduffy said:
I've had the sheriff shoo me out at 9pm, but some times I've stayed later.

Thanks, that is helpful. Things have gotten busy at work and at home so an evening Hagg trip with the family is starting to look doubtful.