Dear Mr. Steelhead, I hate you so much.

J
JeannaJigs
I hit up my most productive spot on the Siuslaw yesterday after I pulled all strings to get the gas money to go. They were jumping, like mad...everywhere I looked, all day yesterday. I was throwin' everything I had at them...nothing. I had two take downs on jigs, but wasn't able to hook up. Fail.

Frustration.

isabella
isabella
Hate is a strong word!Cut the fish some slack

Hate is a strong word!Cut the fish some slack

Well we fished the slaw on saturday caught a couple of downers and one nice sized brat. Try using a jig tipped with a small piece of night crawler or a small thumbnail gob of eggs. The fish are lethargic on the bite, but with this rain if it stays warm things should pick up. PS. if you have any small thill floats around 3 inches try those less drag on the take :naughty::think:down.

J
JeannaJigs
isabella said:
Well we fished the slaw on saturday caught a couple of downers and one nice sized brat. Try using a jig tipped with a small piece of night crawler or a small thumbnail gob of eggs. The fish are lethargic on the bite, but with this rain if it stays warm things should pick up. PS. if you have any small thill floats around 3 inches try those less drag on the take :naughty::think:down.
I used all of the above and then some. Yesterday they were pretty active, I haven't seen that much surface activity at all this year. Just wasn't my day.

isabella
isabella
Thats why they call it fishing not catching.

Thats why they call it fishing not catching.

Fish tend to get stirred up when a front sets up. We saw numerous fish jumping in the frog water, odd for a steelhead, More like salmon behavior This rain will stain the water enough to make them strike (can't think about what is going by) so don't get discouraged. May run into you on the river,:dance: good luck

S
SoylentGreen
pretty funny. thanks for sharing. stick with it, at least you know where they are.

B
BobberDown
have you tryed any micro jigs like a 1/32 OZ head very small with an 8 lb florocabon leader that is my go to on thelock jaw steelie of the willson and trask good luck dan

J
JeannaJigs
I haven't tried a 1/32 oz jig. I think it's a moot point now that the river has come up several feet and is the shade of chocolate milk...but in the future, I will have to try that. I've never seen 'em that small at the shop, will have to see what I can find

J
JeannaJigs
SoylentGreen said:
pretty funny. thanks for sharing. stick with it, at least you know where they are.
Yep. I do...and they're goin' downnnn.

B
BobberDown
well if you can't find any at the local shops or just want to see what some look like there are some on my web site most all my jigs have the 1/32 OZ optshoin good luck Dan

J
JeannaJigs
Thanks I'll have a look! I'm so observant I didn't even see the link before...I'll investigate though :)

L
luv2fish
i'd micro jigs and they work good....especially on summers ...i have some..red and black style.....

N
nw5785
if driving from eugene how far do u have to drive on 126 before u get to good fishing?

J
JeannaJigs
luv2fish said:
i'd micro jigs and they work good....especially on summers ...i have some..red and black style.....
I'm gonna try them for sure.

J
JeannaJigs
nw5785 said:
if driving from eugene how far do u have to drive on 126 before u get to good fishing?
if driving from eugene, it's about 35 miles to the siuslaw at the upper end. there's a road that says "whittaker creek" (it's on the left, they're currently tearing down trees and covering the ground with straw in preparation for bridgework), this is where they dump in the hatchery fish and where the fish trap is located. with the river high, the upper stretch is going to be good i think. I usually keep going though until I go past the rest area further down 126, there's a bridge "richardson road" if you cross the bridge, go left after the train tracks, it turns into stagecoach road. It's 12 miles of road along the river. Also though, a lot of people don't fish above whitaker creek, but there ARE hatchery fish above, as they dump a lot of hatchery fish also into letz creek. So there is less pressure above whitaker, and you might do good.

good luck

N
nw5785
Thanks i am going to have to try and make it up there if the weather seems decent ill try and go up sat or sunday

J
JeannaJigs
Should be getting into shape by saturday, it's forecasted to keep dropping until late sunday/early monday, but it's still going to be running higher than it has been in the last month. Should be pretty good. I have to work in Veneta on saturday, but only until noon, might head over there after work since it's only another 15-20 miles. Hopefully will kill some for the grill :) At this point, I'd settle for even a wild fish...just something, anything on the other end of that line would be sweet.

N
nw5785
yeah i hear that, i am ready to catch almost anything just to get back into it

N
ninja2010
me too...

N
nw5785
Yes, i got time to go up sunday. I was thinking of trying bobber fishing, wondering what kind of bobbers u guys use? have done my fair share of drift fishing with roe and need to learn something new... bobber and a jig or bobber and roe????? if not ill be out there running wild :)

B
BobberDown
I love west coast floats i have them on my web site cheaper than anywhere around and a lot of grate jigs to some good starter packages and some good sales on most of the jigs i also like the thrill turbo master fixed floats jigs roe pink worms theyal work well under a float
good luck Dan