Dear Army Corps Of Engineers:

J
JeannaJigs
Why are you conspiring against me (and all fisher peeps of the Santiam and Willamette)opening the flood gates?!! YOU KNEW I HAD PLANS TO FISH TOMORROW! You wait until there's actually fish in the river, and blow it out. What's your malfunction?

Sincerely,

Jigs.

B
beaverfan
It's because they know just how good you are! They are worried that if you go out there with prime conditions you will simply hook too many fish and they will not get a big enough return back to the hatchery. I'm sorry Jeanna your just too damn good!

J
JeannaJigs
But, I C&R!!! Okay, that's a lie, if it's missing a fin it dies, but...but....THE CINCO DE MAYO FISH! They were supposed to be bleedin' all over my boat. :( I had grand plans.

S
Santiam338
And all this time I thought it was me they were against.BUT IT IS YOU!!! This graph corrosponds exactly to the time that you stated that you were going to fish the South..

Hmmm??

Proof beyond doubt..

LOL

ssfo3_hg.png

Reactions: JeannaJigs
L
lilsalmon
I will give em a call Jeanna and set them straight...how dare they screw up your fishing day

J
JeannaJigs
Santiam338 said:
And all this time I thought it was me they were against.BUT IT IS YOU!!! This graph corrosponds exactly to the time that you stated that you were going to fish the South..

Hmmm??

Proof beyond doubt..

LOL

ssfo3_hg.png

Proof beyond doubt, for sure. If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd say they're watching my posts!!!

I must not post about future trips. EVER AGAIN. They must not be aware of my plans!

They totally screwed my day tomorrow. I will stay at home and mope like a kid that got denied christmas.

J
JeannaJigs
Give 'em hell!!!

lilsalmon said:
I will give em a call Jeanna and set them straight...how dare they screw up your fishing day

T
tomriker
maybe you should go bass fishing jeanna :) the bite is on right now!

J
JeannaJigs
Lol I saw pictures of fish from your place when I was out seein' my pup just a while ago. I'm thinking about it but I just want to float the dang river :( (and kill some fish while doing so)

T
Troutier Bassier
JeannaJigs said:
Why are you conspiring against me (and all fisher peeps of the Santiam and Willamette)opening the flood gates?!! YOU KNEW I HAD PLANS TO FISH TOMORROW! You wait until there's actually fish in the river, and blow it out. What's your malfunction?

Sincerely,

Jigs.

Water only got like 2 feet higher.

J
JeannaJigs
And it was already high. The santiam has to drop before I'm floating it. I remember it high last year and thought I was gonna die. Like legit die. It's the only time I've really been scared on the sticks.

G
GDBrown
And if that's not bad enough, yesterday they announce that the Columbia would reopen on Sunday for Springers again and look what the river prediction is now.

hydroPlot.png

First they let the commercial guys back on the water for something like 15 hours to catch 1800 fish left in their quota. 200 boats with not limit per boat. How many do you think they got in 15 hours? Then they blow out the river just when they are about to let the sport fishers back on the water. And you know that when the Columbia goes up like that the Willamette will to even if it is not coming from down the valley. I agree with you Jeanna, it is a conspiracy. Will you just quit thinking about fishing for a while!

Last edited:
C
Combat Chuck
When the S. Santiam changes by feet its a huge change unlike some rivers. I tend to use the cfs. I usually look for 2500cfs and its now almost triple and thats not much of a 'ft' difference.

J
JeannaJigs
Combat Chuck said:
When the S. Santiam changes by feet its a huge change unlike some rivers. I tend to use the cfs. I usually look for 2500cfs and its now almost triple and thats not much of a 'ft' difference.

Exactly. The output from foster can create an intense change in cfs. The first time I floated from Wiley cr to pleasant valley, i found Out AFTER that it was around 14,000...scared the crap outta me and made me ALWAYS check the cfs flow before I go anywhere. I don't care about the feet, it's the sheer force of the flow that makes it sketch. You don't pay attention to that stuff as much as a bank angler but the first time you don't and you take your driftboat out...it's no good.

R
RunWithSasquatch
14k is a ton of water for any system, wow haha.

J
JeannaJigs
Haha I KNOW. had I checked that crap before I left home, I wouldn't have left lol. There was another boat and these old guys had the most concerned look I've ever seen on another anglers face. At first I thought I was getting the "that dumb girl doesn't know what she's doing" face...then I came around the bend and saw a massive wall of water LOL. guy up front was scrambling to put on a life vest and all I could do was hold on to my oars. White knuckle ninja death grips. Narrowly made it through the wave and dropped anchor immediately after to stop shaking LOL and then I lost my anchor. Sigh. It was an adventure. One I don't care to ever repeat.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Yep, river flow webpages are a boaters best friend, im not sure how they did it before the internet around... maybe a few more white knuckles.

J
JeannaJigs
White knuckles lead to premature arthritis. Explains a lot about some of the crotchety old timers and their sore hands lol.

I now have every single flow chart that matters to me bookmarked on my phone lol. I don't enjoy white knuckles.

S
Santiam338
JeannaJigs said:
White knuckles lead to premature arthritis. Explains a lot about some of the crotchety old timers and their sore hands lol.

I now have every single flow chart that matters to me bookmarked on my phone lol. I don't enjoy white knuckles.

Its the unknown that is scary..I am sure coming around the island and seeing all that water was very intimidating..I have floated everything there is to float on the Siletz except for the Moonshine drift..I am not scared of the water,just scared of not knowing what to do when I get to the bad spot...The "unknown"..:shock:

One of these days I will go with someone that knows the proper way to get through and it will cease to be scary,until then there is 20 other miles of river to fish..;)

The S turn is not difficult once you know how...In high water I go left between the overhanging limbs and the rock,straight through the big rollors..They are not as bad as they look,just keep the boat straight;)..Once through the rollors I drop off the break and completely miss the S turn..I go around it...

In low water you can't get off the break without hanging up,so I go right around the S turn...Once I drop into the boil I turn the boat around backwards and row out of it..By turning the boat around I can get power to the oars and get out of the boil...If you don't turn the boat around sometimes it is a struggle to get out...The water keeps trying to push you back upriver..

I actually prefer the S turn when it is high..I have a strong dislike for boils and can miss it completely.

Once you have went through there a few times in high water it is a piece of cake..Its not knowing where to go that can scare the crap out of ya...;)

Last edited: