Dead salmon in the Willamette

S
Snagglehook
I've heard from a handful of customers who spotted some dead salmon at Sellwood Park this weekend, and yesterday while skateboarding along the bike path behind Johns Landing, I spotted a salmon drifting belly up along the bank.

I guess the Willy will be especially fragrant this summer :sad:

Is it just as bad above the falls, or do they find some relief once past the fish ladders?

troutdude
troutdude
It's sad to see it. The die-off, is due to low water and warmer temps. It's probably happening, all across the state.

S
Steelheader4Life
Snagglehook said:
I've heard from a handful of customers who spotted some dead salmon at Sellwood Park this weekend, and yesterday while skateboarding along the bike path behind Johns Landing, I spotted a salmon drifting belly up along the bank.

Is it just as bad above the falls, or do they find some relief once past the fish ladders?

Once they get above the falls they are considered safe! It happens every year...this year is just a little worse.

O
OnTheDrop
You should see the Clackamas..Bad news.

S
sapo
are just salmon dying in the clack or steelhead too?

P
Pni_fisherdude
From what we saw it was just salmon dying on the clackamas. Not a pretty sight

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

hobster
hobster
Steelhead will die too it happened late last summer around here. This year will be much worse, i haven't been out but once for steelhead and it was depressing. Bad news from everyone i talked to and the numbers are horrible. I hear salmon numbers are good but they aren't biting due to low hot water. Trout fishing has sucked too, I don't think ill be fishing too much this summer :sad:

P
Pni_fisherdude
Surprisingly the only bite we got today was from a salmon. But ya it sucks no matter how you look at it. A fish of that size dead or swimming around like a zombie just sucks.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

S
SailCat
As troutdude stated and as The Guide's Forecast said last week, the ODFW has confirmed in a recent news release that high temperatures are "most likely the cause of spring Chinook salmon deaths in the Willamette River and some of its tributaries, according to fish biologists from the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife."

F
FishOn420
Snagglehook said:

I have already counted about 10 dead salmon that I have seen alone. Some floating in the river while others are dead off shore. The water levels are crazy low this year and the water is especially hot. Such a damn shame to see so many dead salmon. I spotted some near the floating restaurant and a lot on elk rock island.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Hey guys,

First post here. I think this is happening state wide. Water is like bath water everywhere I have fished this year, and for any species. I just talked to a salmon fishing buddy of mine that is afraid they are going to close the Nehalem. This is being discussed to potentially protect what run may survive the heat. Water levels are brutally low and He is thinking the only way to get a fish may be in the ocean. I don't have boat enough to cross the bar. I fear that this could very well be the case and we won't have fishable situation for quite a while. Looking to go fishing in the morning, but it may be trout fishing in North Fork Resevoir and trolling deep to get down to colder water. can't wait for september........ or wait..... October?.......

Chris

hobster
hobster
Welcome MrGrumpFish, i like your avatar :D Yeah, usually October. I work outside and am not looking forward to this summer, way too hot already and the 10 day forecast has this area up to 104 degrees next weekend after a week in the mid 90's. I hope they are wrong.
I would not be suprised if all or almost all of our rivers will be closed to salmomid fishing by the end of the summer the way its going to protect what few will try to make it.

B
billfisher
check out wunderground forcast for july and august. That will scare you!

S
SailCat
From tonight's TGF: "Regarding hot weather fishing in the Willamette River and its tributaries, Bill Monroe suggested in his June 26th Oregonian article, "Why don't we just lay off fishing for them in warm water?" Not a bad suggestion, considering the evidence of mortality recently. Dead salmon, steelhead and even sturgeon are being seen. With water temperatures over 70 degrees, the stress of being caught, even when carefully released, can cause the demise our quarry. Suggested alternatives include those fish which prefer warm water: bass and panfish. Targeting them does the fish no harm (unless you include taking some home for dinner which is not a popular option in the case of the Willamette but that's another issue and a personal decision)."