Dari hole on the Slaw?

R
rippin fish lips
Hitting the slaw tomorrow to get after some fall nooks. Would love some more info on the "dairy hole" never trolled there before.

We will be trolling spinners and herring, is there a best size of herring to use right now on the slaw?

Blue, green, or is it purple or red?

any help will be well apriciated!!!

thanks, Tanner.

Last edited:
P
plumb2fish
I would use med/large cut plugged sardines, I would also start at the dairy hole and work up stream... maybe even start higher than the dairy hole.

R
rippin fish lips
plumb2fish said:
I would use med/large cut plugged sardines, I would also start at the dairy hole and work up stream... maybe even start higher than the dairy hole.

ok and what about the florence area under the bridge? Anything happening there?
And we are using cut plugged herring, got some sardines to.

J
JeannaJigs
Pretty late in the season to fish below the 101 bridge but that doesn't mean there won't be fish down there. If it were me, I'd be putting in at Mapleton and working my way down. The dairy hole is just above cushman, across from the dairy...stinks like cow poo death...hence the name. It's just a big deep slot, honestly, never had much luck there, but have caught fish up near mapleton and below cushman.

J
JeannaJigs
and also, I'd recommend fishing slack tide with float and eggs or shrimp :) spinners too. I don't like using herring that far upriver but I know people do.

T
Thuggin4Life
All of the above and what i told you on the phone. As for herring get greens and maybe try a few blues. I would really consider trolling around tiernan.

R
rippin fish lips
Talked to a guy who siad coho were under the 101 bridge, just gotta work your way through the natives for the keeper coho, could we also just cast spinners at the dairy hole?

P
plumb2fish
if you put in at cushman, start trolling up hill as slow as possible to get a spin on your SARDINE. you could fish for years on the slaw and never get a clipped coho, they are a rare most likely stray fish. herring will work in a pinch but I would use sardines if I were you. with or without flasher 12-24" dropper to 4-6 oz of lead and 6' leader to mooching hooks. spin on herring should fit into a 3" imaginary circle. there are fish being caught on spinners, but if you have good bait why not use it? If you get upto davidson mill and the tide is still coming in switch to flat lined kwik fish wrapped with sardine flat lined behind the boat 40' or so.

R
rippin fish lips
ok thanks for the help guys! we are going to put in at old town so we can drop crab pots then go up to cushman and start trolling up river

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah what he said. getting a clipped coho on the slaw is like winning the lotto.

R
rippin fish lips
Thuggin4Life said:
Yeah what he said. getting a clipped coho on the slaw is like winning the lotto.

yeah i know that its all wild coho on this river which means its still barbless even when your targeting the nooks correct?
This guy i talked to today said he got 2 keeper coho off the slaw the other day.

J
JeannaJigs
rippin fish lips said:
yeah i know that its all wild coho on this river which means its still barbless even when your targeting the nooks correct?
This guy i talked to today said he got 2 keeper coho off the slaw the other day.

You can roll with barbs...but it comes down to how much damage you want to do to a native fish. I myself pinch them off. If you hook a nook and keep the tension on it, the hook isn't going anywhere. Barbless makes releasing a ho much easier, and you don't have to remove them from the water.

Also, wouldn't recommend targetting coho...OSP kinda frowns on that. Even if you're doing catch and release, seen 'em out there talking to folks. If you get one as a by catch that's another story.

Good luck wherever you end up!

R
rippin fish lips
JeannaJigs said:
You can roll with barbs...but it comes down to how much damage you want to do to a native fish. I myself pinch them off. If you hook a nook and keep the tension on it, the hook isn't going anywhere. Barbless makes releasing a ho much easier, and you don't have to remove them from the water.

Also, wouldn't recommend targetting coho...OSP kinda frowns on that. Even if you're doing catch and release, seen 'em out there talking to folks. If you get one as a by catch that's another story.

Good luck wherever you end up!

well we rolled barbless for the native coho in the river system, we were targeting nooks, report coming tomorrow.