"Dangerous Rapids" at McIver?

T
Teedub
I am thinking about running the Clackamas in a couple of weeks. I have read about the rapids below the upper McIver launch. How would they compare to say the Nestucca from bridge 6 down at 12 feet of water?
I am relatively new to white water but I have run the Nestucca 3 times with no problems (some of it in pitch dark). I have a one man cataraft with some older Sotar 10 foot floats or some brand new 9 foot Dave Scaddens. Running 6' Sawyer wooden oars.
I can justify the warnings on Steelhead Univ, but I was wondering how bad they really are?

M
metalmania
I've never personally gone through the minefield, but i've heard it's pretty rough especially if you've never done it before. I'm sure theres someone on here that can help you out though.

D
davep
minefield

minefield

The minefield is highly technical.....its one of the most prolific boat wreckers in the state....not worth the risk if you ask me...

I
I Grade
I will say that when i witnessed a boat capsize and get sucked down the minefield last month that the guys that came to rescue the people that went down the minefield WITHOUT a boat, came on pontoons... so if you can ride it high, I wouldnt see an issue unless its a low water day, but I dont think that is going to be an issue this week.

Safety 1st!

I Grade

C
cchinook
minefield

minefield

Please do not attempt this - Aug . is OK. - the Clack . has already claimed 3
- and it is not even summer !

T
Teedub
Lower McIver it is.

Lower McIver it is.

Thanks for the heads up.
I think I shall avoid the minefield for now. I would like to learn how to run it, but it sounds like I would be better to do that in late summer.

Can a person portage or line a cataraft around it.
I am thinking the Clack will be rather crowded that weekend with the festival and all, and that piece of water above the minefield and below the rapids would be less crowded.

Thanks again

TW Scannell
Sisters, Oregon

J
Jig'n
Teedub said:
Thanks for the heads up.
I think I shall avoid the minefield for now. I would like to learn how to run it, but it sounds like I would be better to do that in late summer.

Can a person portage or line a cataraft around it.
I am thinking the Clack will be rather crowded that weekend with the festival and all, and that piece of water above the minefield and below the rapids would be less crowded.

Thanks again

TW Scannell
Sisters, Oregon

I used to have an 8' Toon that I roped around both sections in question above. This was about 4 years ago though, things may have changed. The mine field is/was about an 1/8 mile or so long back then.

Jig'n

A
ArcticAmoeba
The last high water made the majority of the Clackamas into a trough. The gradual graidient of the banks are now pretty much gone, and portaging, or lining a craft is much more dificult here. It is dangerous, but entirely do-able. And the slot that appears in low water is pretty much the only route to hit, and you have a lot of stroking to do, to make it through safely. Some places are not as shallow as people think, and the hydraulic pressures created are amazing. I have watched more than a half dozen DB's get turned sideways, in what appeared to be "flats" and fill to the gunnels in 5-7 seconds. Dangerous, sure, but waht part of any river isn't? Scout it, and run it for the first time when the river drops below 2500 CFS.