Dairy creek.

Gunga
Gunga
Ive been fishing there once under the railroad bridge i caught one squaw and a weird looking bottemfeeder that looked like a fish you would buy out of a fish store. i was wondering if anybody else has fished it at all and what other species of fish are down there. i know the 2 i mentioned earlier and i know theres trout in there. but nothing else. so if anybody knows anything about it at all please tell me.:pray:

R
RunWithSasquatch
I heard there were some toad gold fish in there.

Gunga
Gunga
gold fish? or real carp lol. or are there realy gold fish in the creek lol.

W
waco
i heard of cutthroat in there!!!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Im just playing, but really, they're toads

W
waco
youngfishtyler said:
gold fish? or real carp lol. or are there realy gold fish in the creek lol.
carp!!!!

Gunga
Gunga
what would be the best set up for catching the cuts. would it just be rooster tail and other small spinners and jigs. i wanted to try a bobber and jig set up next time i get out there. i caught the squaw with a small white jig.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Yes, roosters would be a go to for cutts, I would also say that a jig would nab one

brandon4455
brandon4455
try using a 1/6oz or smaller roostertail in black,brown and rainbow if bait is allowed try a worm or a red bead pegged 2 inches above the hook

H
halibuthitman
if the carp and suckers are as thick in there as it sounds.. use a green bead this time of year-

Gunga
Gunga
thank you all for this info. i really appreciate it. and i have all if not most of the colors of roostertails that you just mentioned.

brandon4455
brandon4455
yup, and if you ever need some help with cutthroat feel free to shoot me a message.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Try a black bunny hair leech fished cross current in the rapids...

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Oh, and dry flies work great too...

29m0s5v.jpg

D
DirectDrive
Which Dairy Creek ?
The one in Washington County has and is being hurt by agricultural runoff yet it still fights back.
I believe that the cutts are the real McCoy (natives) and I could not kill one.
They would be fun to mess with, though.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
DirectDrive said:
Which Dairy Creek ?
The one in Washington County has and is being hurt by agricultural runoff yet it still fights back.
I believe that the cutts are the real McCoy (natives) and I could not kill one.
They would be fun to mess with, though.

The one in Washington County - and it's a no-kill fishery anyway, along with no bait. It really does fight back - and the native cutts in there are feisty for their size - it's one of my go-to small streams, along with Gales and a couple others I don't want to name (since fishing pressure on the small streams already is as high as they can probably safely handle)

The fish in Dairy Creek (Wa Co) aren't big - but they have spunk. There's a lot of non-native fishes in the creek - big carp, bullheads, smallies, largemouth, a host of panfishes, squawfish, and as Tyler (who is my nephew) posted - some aquarium fishes. It seems that at least one (probably more than one) person didn't want/couldn't keep their aquarium and they just dumped the fish into the creek. Have caught a few fish that really don't belong in that water.

Every winter the creek floods, and banks along some of the more developed sections erode, and it is sometimes late june before the water starts clearing up. This year, in September even after a long dry spell, the creek was still stained and fairly low visibility :( The fishing is a bit better when the water is clearer.

These little neighborhood creeks hold a special place for me - and I really wish more people appreciated the creeks and what they mean - instead of treating them like just another ditch to throw their nasties into.

D
DirectDrive
Sounds like you are a good steward.
Good luck to you.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I try to keep things cleaner than when I arrived - and I try to educate those I take to these spots about what they mean - not just to me - but to everyone as a whole, to the fish, to the trees, to everything. The little streams are the capillaries that, if they get destroyed, bring down the entire body. It's kind of rare for me to take anyone to most of these streams, because it doesn't take a lot of pressure to hurt the fisheries, and one careless slip of the tongue can cause a large swell in the number of users of a given spot.

Tyler (the OP) got introduced to this creek last summer, and he's young enough and impressionable enough still that he can really appreciate what these waters are. He had a lot of fun on our trip out there - and I know he's itching to get back there when it opens back up. This creek might just yield his first fly-caught fish too!

Gunga
Gunga
Why thank you uncle/cousin mark i appreciate that comment. oh and i like your OFF name to. its not everyday your uncle steals your nickname. me Tyler aka gunga. lol

N
NavyBTret
New to the forum but I grew up fishing Dairy creek every opening day. Can be some fantastic cutthroat fishing. Definitely rooster tails as mentioned above(dark brown was my personal favorite). Bigger cuts up to 18" come up the creek around the first week of May and seem to have a fondness for Flatfish. The one we had the most luck with is no longer available, Orange-pearl flourescent. The frog flatfish also worked well. I also imagine that any crawfish imitator would work extremely well.
Good luck.