Dahl Park and Meldrum Bar... bankies 0... boats a couple few..

M
mikeee2362
Met up with Steelies&Silvers(Alex) and Chrisohm(Chris) today at Meldrum Bar for a little plunking action...alas the action was all from the boats:sad:. We gave it our all for several hours with Alex scoring the only rung bell, but no hook-up.
We were parked in the middle of the bar and we witnessed one other bell ringer just down stream from us, but again, when the guy set the hook...there was nobody home. There was, however, one boat in particular that was having all the fun for the rest of us, as we saw them net at least 4 fish right out in front of us amongst all the other boats(and there were plenty of them). I hope It was a bunch of fellow OFFers and they give us a report, cuz I want to know what the heck kind of voodoo they had on the end of their lines.
Chris and I went down to Dahl for a last minute stab at getting one after I talked to another Bankie fishing that area. He had actually hooked up and had fish(plural 2 in fact) close to the bank before coming unbuttoned just minutes before I arrived there. I left after an hour when the rain started, empty handed. Chris stayed to tuff out the rain, and just texted me saying he moved to Dahl only to get a better seat at watching the boats net fish right out in front of him.

* Note to self....get a boat.

Glad to meet you Chris, and great seeing you again Alex,it was fun fishing and swapping stories together, it made the plunk a whole lot more fun!! We'll have to plan another trip soon!!

:peace:

C
chrisohm
You guys are really nice, mellow gentleman. We need to fish again soon! You have me itching for walleye now...FYI.

P.S. I really want to know about that other boat myself. Every drift through was producing them fish and they had 4-6 other boats around them each time.

I
igquick
The bites could be from those pikeminnows around that area. During these warmer days, there are probably thousands. They like to nibble on crap you throw out there, then strike the crap out of the bait

S
Socaaron
igquick said:
The bites could be from those pikeminnows around that area. During these warmer days, there are probably thousands. They like to nibble on crap you throw out there, then strike the crap out of the bait
With the weight and bait they were throwing I highly doubt a pikeminnow would warrant a "bell ringer" also pretty sure Mikee was using a spin glow set-up, probably unbaited.. my two cents

C
chrisohm
Igquick is right but they were targeting the eggs people were plunking with and backbouncing from boats. I think a few were also going after sandshrimp. So many angry anglers were hooking pikeminnow then smacking the fish against the boat and letting them float downstream. I used a couple prawns but mostly I had some yarn with s&g's and a scent chamber spreader my friend gave to me when he visited Oregon Tackle a few weeks back. Those scent chambers are rad as long as you use the gel scents or the thick stinky stuff. Might try again but I'm itching to throw hardware around the Clack or Sandy.

M
mikeee2362
Socaaron said:
With the weight and bait they were throwing I highly doubt a pikeminnow would warrant a "bell ringer" also pretty sure Mikee was using a spin glow set-up, probably unbaited.. my two cents

That I was, but Alex had a prawn on his at the time, pretty sure it was a worthy hit.

S
Silvers&Steelies
It was good to meet up and fish. I was still surprised not a single one was taken on the bank all morning. At least some boats got them and know the fish are around. My hit was pretty solid and the prawn was gone and even had a trailing hook setup it just didn't stick.