Czech/French nymphing the Metolius?

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Ok... I am going to toss it out there that I am a bass angler who picked up a fly fishing habit whilst living in a trout-centric state.

I prefer to nymph, and got my "western style" nymphing together pretty well, albeit with a few eccentricities such as preferring not to use a float.

I understand you can't use weight on the leader on the "fly fishing only" sections, which is crap, but what are people doing to get down? I don't want to fish dries, I don't want to fish streamers. I enjoy spot-and-stalk fishing to individual trout with weighted nymphs. Are many people using Euro methods? If so, are there any tips specific to the Met'?

I can figure all the particulars out on my own, but a little advice would shorten the learning curve and (perhaps) save a bit of gas money.

Besides, talking about fly fishing is fun, right? :lol: Patterns, rigs, that sort of thing.

SS

M
Modest_Man
I do it the AMERICAN way. Cram as much weight onto a stonefly nymph as possible (we are talking wrapped shank in lead and 3+ tungsten beads) and use two smaller nymphs below it.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
No indicator allowed though, right? Are you leading it quite a bit, dragging it down stream? Those mongo flies kill my sense of feel when I am detecting strikes by touch...

M
Modest_Man
I just looked in the 2016 regulations and there is no mention of no split shot anymore in the Metolius regulations, just fyi. You can always fish below the 99 bridge and use whatever you want. If I recall there was never any mention about not using indicators, but it looks like I tossed my 2015 booklet so can't check.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Cool. I don't kill trout, so I never needed to know what the regs were till I moved to this land o' regs. I always used Mojo Mud instead of shot, and I found the French method with the long leaders and slinky indicators worked very well for me.