Cutts on the Mo...

A
ArcticAmoeba
Went for a float this afternoon on the Molalla. Hit the regular trout drifts, and go into a bunch of really great looking, feisty Cuttthroat. All came out of the water a half dozen times or more, and were all kinds of upset today. Relaxing day to float the local stream, and C&R'd about a dozen trout each on the last couple floats, so they are waking up it appears. I need to do this kind of fishin more often. No stress, and easy as pie!:lol:;)

DSC00038-1.jpg

DSC00039-1.jpg

F
FishSchooler
Pretty little fishies. How far is the molalla away from LO, its in Canby right? If it's raftable and closer than hagg and theres that much fish, that would be much better.

Neeever mind! Only 14min/22miles away to molalla state park! Any good bank spots/is it C&R only?
Since I can't find my tag, trootin is my oonly option pretty much.

Thank'salot

Last edited:
A
ArcticAmoeba
Molalla River State Park is actually on the Willamette. We floated an upper section today, but you can put in at Good's Bridge, and float to the Canby pond boat ramp. Or farther down to Knights Bridge. Good's Bridge is just the bridge that goes over the Molalla on Ivy st. You park off to the right after you cross, and walk doen the hill and down the trail to the river. Kights Bridge is just that, Knights Bridge Road, where it crosses the river. There is a park on the East side of the road, on the south bank of the river. Get a new tag through tthe mail, or go into a Fred Meyer and tell them to issue a new one. We targeted Trout today, but hooked a couple Steelhead that broke me off, so a tag is a must out there right now.

F
FishSchooler
oh... thats strange. Right after the bridge, is there a parking lot/trails where people wont think you are crazy walking around with a box, net, and a 7 foot stick and is it C&R?

Wait, how do you get one through the mail/is it free?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks a lot again :)

Last edited:
J
joemomma
Wow, that brings back some memories, grew up on the mighty Mo, wearing cutoffs and a casting away for cutts! Gunna have to get the toon out and go for it! Thanks for the report!

A
ArcticAmoeba
FishSchooler - There is no parking lot on Ivy St., after Good's Bridge crosses the Molalla. You just pull off and park when the bike lane widens up, and there is a short trail that leads down a hill, and then shoots you off, back towords the river. Right now the trout fishery is C&R, but shortly the Steelhead, and Chinook will be in and open for retention. You can easily get a new liscense made up, just go to Fred Meyer, or some sporting goods place that issues them. It is easier than the mail.

Joe - I love the Mighty Mo! I used to skip high school, and put on Chinook clinics in town in the afternoon. Crazy kids! But it is a great river, with a variety of species, and the pontoons are the perfect tool right now. Especially if you have an anchor. Get out there man!

F
FishSchooler
I meant the knights bridge or whatever... me=unclear at night. :rolleyes::lol:

A
ArcticAmoeba
There is a park off of Knight's Bridge Rd., where it crosses the Molalla. Look it up on Google Earth, and the parking lot is on the East side of Knights Bridge Road. You would end up on the South bank if you walked to the river from the lot.

F
FishSchooler
Did you make that spinner?
That looks like, if I am not mistaken, a vibrax blade. I think I'm getting better at this spinner stuff.:D
I still need to make a trip to BC

A
ArcticAmoeba
I did. The blades are actually Bear Valleys. One's tip is painted to match the pink, 'n white bell. But the 50/50, stacked brass unit is a killer almost everywhere.

A
adambomb
good day on the river

good day on the river

I fished upstream from goods bridge from 2 to bout 6 this afternoon, and caught a little bit of everything. The smallmouth really put up a great fight!! The cutts seem to be giving up halfway in and almost swimming up to me. And i think the other fish pictured is a pike minnow? i'm not sure but i caught two of them. even the snakes were landing fish;)

Last edited by a moderator:
F
FishSchooler
Ah, a snake eating a fish just as big as it! :shock: Never seen snakes (besides guarders) or fish getting eaten like that...

F
Fishtopher
Thats frickin awesome man! Never seen that before!

Bass Man
Bass Man
Your correct

Your correct

Yep that's a pike minnow. Fun to catch! Congrats on the trout and bass:clap: As for the snake, never seen that before!