Cutting up the Alsea

M
michigan_transplant
Went down after some Sea run Cuts this morning. Wasn't disappointed. Got this on my very first cast :shock: Thought it was gonna be one of those days. Didn't get another one for 3 hours. Got a couple nice resident cuts that hadn't been out to the big ocean. Gotta love catching these things, they basically rip the pole out of your hands when they hit. I'll be going back tomorrow cause I have labor day off!!!! :dance:?:dance::):D. Gotta love working at a bank. I'll let you guys know how I do tomorrow.

M
Mike123
Damn that thing is nice! You got any measurements? From the pic it just looks like the size of an 8lb steelhead! haha.
This in tide water or up river? See any salmon?

M
michigan_transplant
It was 17 inches. It was above tide water. Up by Scott Creek if you know where that is. About 10 miles down from 5 rivers.

troutdude
troutdude
Way to go MT. I love bluebacks from the Alsea!

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice looking fish!

F
Finneus Polebender
Nice one!!!

M
Mike123
michigan_transplant said:
It was 17 inches. It was above tide water. Up by Scott Creek if you know where that is. About 10 miles down from 5 rivers.

Cool! Thanks for the info!

M
michigan_transplant
Went back today with no luck. Had some small ones but nothing of note. We need some rain to push those guys up!!!

troutdude
troutdude
Yup. Trolling in tidewater would be the ticket right now.

M
michigan_transplant
troutdude you seem to be the expert on these areas. what time of year do the Bluebacks start showing up in full force and how far up the Alsea do they go??

troutdude
troutdude
Expert? LOL

I simply grew up in nearby Philomath, so just had the advantage of being in the Alsea's back yard. My dad was also raised in the area; as were several other family peeps "back in the day". I even had a great-great uncle, that homesteaded in Lobster Valley (a few miles south of the town of Alsea).

The Blueback (sea-run cutts) will run somewhat in unison w/ the 'nook and coho runs. When there is enough rain, the 'nook run peaks in late September/early October. The silvers and bluebacks are not far behind.

When peeps are bobber fishing tidewater for nooks (at this time); I'll sometimes troll for bluebacks, as they are not getting a lot of angling pressure. The usual flasher sets (Ford Fenders, Beer Cans, etc) work fine. Tag on about 24" of leader w/ a nightcrawler and Voila! Fish on!

You can also have lots of success right now above tidewater, while the water is low and clear. I prefer bobber n' worms or spinners. Or, a bobber and black woolly bugger w/ my spin rod. I have also caught some on single salmon eggs, drifting w/ little weight.

However, there is a highly effective fly pattern. I have not tried it, but I have heard nothing but good reports. It is called the Borden Special. It was developed by Bob Borden of Monmouth. Bob now lives in Monroe, and his shop is only about 30 minutes south of Corvallis. Here is his website:

And here is a Caddis Fly Shop video on how to the Borden Special:

Borden’s Special: Sea Run Cutthroat Fly Pattern

I would not expect many of the bluebacks, to go too much further upstream that the hatcheries. They are a stocked fish. But, on occasion, one might be found higher up.

Enjoy.

TD

P.S. I really think that we should ban together and get the spellchecker software peeps to "recognize" the word "blueback"...LOL.

M
michigan_transplant
The troller with the worm was the setup I was using. I switched over to spinners at times when I was sick of the little cuts stealing my worms.

We should stay in contact and rendezvous for some fishing sometime. I think I could learn a lot from a multi generation Oregonian like yourself.

M
Mike123
Nice info TroutDude!

A
alseaalumaweld
there also called havrest trout as then come in when it time to harvest i think the runs allready geting over my self and good fishing down low has pasted. starts in june last i knew ther where never a stocked fish.

troutdude
troutdude
Mike123 said:
Nice info TroutDude!

Thanks Mike! Just trying to get MT into some cutts.

troutdude
troutdude
I have two books: Fishing in Oregon and Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon. One simply says "Fall" for bluebacks; the other one says they come in beginning in July and the fishery is still good into October. So, I'd say that they are now well into the river proper.

Perhaps the book is incorrect (or is old information), about the bluebacks being stocked. I did not / have not called ODFW to confirm that detail. Maybe they are no longer stocked. I don't know. Just "going by the book".

S
SmallStreams
What I've read in the fisheries literature says that cutthroats in Oregon have not been a hatchery product since the mid-80s.

troutdude
troutdude
That certainly could be the case.

I think I'd still refer to them, as hatchery fish though...since they were planted at one time and not a native specie.