Cutting a 6'6" rod down to 4'6"????

X
xltom
I've been looking for a small rod that can throw bigger lures than 1/4 ounce. Every rod that I've looked at that is 4 1/2 or 5 ft is Ultra light and I've searched all over.. I have a 6'6" rod that I don't like and I'm thinking of trying to cut 2 feet off of it and throw on a new handle.

Has anyone here done any custom rod work? I need to find parts and could use some tips........Anyone?

WOOO HOOOOO!!! 100 posts!

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
1 of my favorite rods is a 1 peice 4 1/2 foot. sure makes catching the smaller fish fun.

X
xltom
I bought a 4'6" shimano sojourn(UL 1 piece) yesterday...I'm sure I'll have fun with it...BUT versatility is a problem..max lure weight is 3/16oz..I only carry 1 rod when on foot...also I like DIY projects.

I saw Tred Barta catch a marlin on six lb test a week or two ago.(might still be on "on demand")

I like catching small fish. Some people like the fight, some the kill. I like to see the fish and sometimes the little ones look the coolest. I breed african cichlids and keep a reef in my living room... Ever seen a 3inch pumpkin seed? Pretty fish!!!

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
did you hear if it was braid or mono or flouro either way that is insane braid is tuff stuff i couldnt ever break it it could tow a truck lol thats crazy though a marlin on 6lb test insane :shock::shock::shock:

X
xltom
I assumed it was mono but I'll try to check it out. They were using teasers to bring marlin in close, then pitching at them with bass reels...

Sorry it's not on "on demand" anymore..

He's got a world record for catching a big tuna on 6 too, not that I'm a fan....I can't relate to a guy that has a private plane and all that... I'd like to see him go cane-polling for cats

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
custom rod help...

custom rod help...

Hey XL,

Have you heard of Glenn Wicks Rods in Cottage Grove? Glenn made custom rods for many years, and his son now runs the shop. They apparently have a barn full of blanks and build to suit.

You can email them at: gwicksfishrods@juno.com.

BTW, I only found out about them last summer...even though I was born and raised in the valley (and have been here almost 50 years now). I stumbled onto on of their custom rods at a yard sale. And, boy did I SCORE...only $10 in near mint condition!!!:dance:

Good luck,

TD

Chromatose
Chromatose
There is a lot of things that go into a rod blank, much less the entire rod itself that I will leave out. Bottom line is, by the time you refit your guides and re-install a new reel seat and grip your best bet is to just go out and buy a rod that comes close to what your looking for. Time/$$$ better spent. This can be a DIY project, but even builders better than myself have issue with this type of venture. Good Luck & please post pictures of your project when you finish it. Rodbuilding.org :: rodboard might be a good place for you to ask some questions.

Troutski
Troutski
Second this...

Second this...

troutdude said:
Hey XL,

Have you heard of Glenn Wicks Rods in Cottage Grove? Glenn made custom rods for many years, and his son now runs the shop. They apparently have a barn full of blanks and build to suit.

You can email them at: gwicksfishrods@juno.com.

BTW, I only found out about them last summer...even though I was born and raised in the valley (and have been here almost 50 years now). I stumbled onto on of their custom rods at a yard sale. And, boy did I SCORE...only $10 in near mint condition!!!:dance:

Good luck,

TD

I second Glenn Wicks....I have a few of his rods and they will build or teach you how to do it yourself...excellent service.

Chuck

troutdude
troutdude
btw...

btw...

I forgot to mention, that from what I've heard...the prices at Glenn Wicks rod shop...are VERY reasonable too (as in "inexpensive").

FISH ON!

P.S. I agree with Chromotose. I'm not a builder, but I'm sure that you'd be better to just buy a blank that suits your needs and have a builder make it for you.

X
xltom
Thanks, I'll email G.Wicks for a quote later on today.....At the very least I'm sure they will have the parts I need......

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
No are you trying to destroy that white one piece berkley 6' 6"? You are going to want that this fall. Slightly small for tidewater but will work and great for coho. Also if you get into macinaw fishing you might want it.

troutdude
troutdude
xltom said:
Thanks, I'll email G.Wicks for a quote later on today.....At the very least I'm sure they will have the parts I need......

Hope it works out well for you. Good luck. TD

X
xltom
Thuggin'

That would be funny. A micro spinner on a berkley big game casting rod....Remember the green quantum rod I offered to let you use when we went trout fishing last weekend(you prefered your ugly stick)...It's a light action 6'6" quantum fusion...clearance at walmart $10...Most of my rods are 6'6".....it's what I grew up on

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Oh nice making your own ultra light with a bit more back bone. good luck.

X
xltom
I sent an email to the G.W. guy this morning....Hopefully they have internet down there in cottage grove(kidding)....

X
xltom
Chromotose,

no need to mess with the guides on this one except the one I have to remove. It'll be under the grip but I'll have to get it smooth to get a new grip/reel seat on properly.....

X
xltom
I'm getting a little excited. Chromotose gave me some pointers on cleaning up the rod to recieve a new handle process. It's going smoothly(almost done). G.W. (I called) says he'll sell me a reel seat for $5 and cork for a dollar an inch...I figure I'll use 6-8 inches..after glue I'm only looking at $15. Whether I like the rod once I'm done or not, this will be a fun project!! Thanks again Chromotose!!

S
stream2.5
wish i had his number handy, but Chuck Burley in bend OR bought all of Clarence Gilmore's rod building racks and supplies before Clarence died, Clarence did some of the most intreecate custom Gloomis rods there were... i have 5 and every one cost more than 500.00 when he built them.... id get ahold of chuck and see what he reccommends on your project..... if its graphite trimming it down will be your biggest issue as the graphite fibers shatter up the shaft as they break...

X
xltom
OK,
She's all chopped and clean and ready for a handle. I made it 4'8" so that the guides are the correct distance from the reel...I've always wanted a split grip so that's what I'm gonna do...I'll be picking up the parts tomorrow or saturday(he's in creswell not cottage grove by the way)....It really feels great even without a grip!!!

chop.jpg

Cutting was no problem and I sanded the cut so it won't fray...wish I would have worn gloves though....itchy hands!!!!!

The rod is IM6....Anyone know what that means???

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
xltom said:
I've been looking for a small rod that can throw bigger lures than 1/4 ounce. Every rod that I've looked at that is 4 1/2 or 5 ft is Ultra light and I've searched all over.. I have a 6'6" rod that I don't like and I'm thinking of trying to cut 2 feet off of it and throw on a new handle.

Has anyone here done any custom rod work? I need to find parts and could use some tips........Anyone?

WOOO HOOOOO!!! 100 posts!

My favorite pole consists of two separate rods. The bottom half is from a 5' ugly stik ultra lite and the top half is from an ABU Garcia steelhead rod. I've had this set up for at least 15 years and I've caught a lot of nice fish with this set up. It's not professional by any means but it's got the stiffness I need for casting larger lures yet it's still small enough to be considered ultra lite, to me anyway.