Cutthroat?

F
frontierhistorian
Anyone out there working the sea-run cutthroat? Recommendations for where to go? I've got a spinning reel setup and can fish from shore or by boat (if my friend with the boat cooperates!). I'm located in Newberg, so I'm looking for spots in Tillamook or Lincoln counties.

C_Run
C_Run
Pick your estuary and try tidewater. I had a great day in June casting spoons and my first ever fly caught trout. Keep moving until you find them.

I should have mentioned that I was in one of the counties you asked about. Also, (thanks for the tip, troutdude) I used a Borden Special fly. I caught two the first three hours and about 15 altogether once I located them in the last hour on the water.

• photo32532.jpg
Last edited:
Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Most excellent C_Run ! Yeah Bob Borden is legendary here in Orygone. There's a couple of old-timers that buy a couple of dozen of those Borden Specials; each time that they visit Two Rivers Fly Shop in Albany. When old-timers buy in bulk...you KNOW that they work!

Last year one of my neighbors caught many Bluebacks, with little brown Rooster Tails. He caught onto that trick, by pumping some stomachs. And found that they were gorging on small brown crawdad babies. So he "matched the hatch"; so to speak. Bright pink Rooster's also work well.

frontierhistorian the Bluebacks are, as C_Run pointed out, staging in the tidewater areas now. If they are open...try fishing the small trib's that flow into tidewater areas, and bays. Good luck!

C_Run
C_Run
That's where I bought my flies, Two Rivers. Funny about the brown rooster tail because the little spoons I use are brown, as well. I make them out of 1/2 inch copper tube that I beat and grind until they are a little smaller than a Dick Nite spoon. I had the same result last year. I figured they resembled some food source for the trout.

troutdude
troutdude
That's great. I've known Mitch (the shop's owner), for about 40 years. He, and his former business partner (God rest his soul), worked at Anderson's Sporting Goods back in the day. So I'm glad to see your local business support my friend.

When you have a minute C_Run ...could you post a pic or two, of your hammered spoons?

Incidentally one of Field & Streams 50 Best Lures of All Time, is the original Dardevle. And the reverse side (opposite of it's trademark red & white swirl striping), was made of copper! I look for them all of the time at thrift shops, flea markets, garage sales, craigslist, etc. But I have yet to find any.

troutdude
troutdude
[No message]

C_Run
C_Run
troutdude This one was killer. I have given some of them what I call a "Tomanesque" paint job, i.e. either a red or chartreuse diagonal bottom but plain also works great. I've lost all of them but will need to whip up a new batch for next year. They are not fancy. I just like to mess around in the shop in the winter.

troutdude
troutdude
Sweet! Thanks for sharing.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
I do well with the brown rooster tail with gold blade and also black vibrant with silver blade. They are in the coastal rivers pretty thick now.