Cutthroat trout

W

wrestlerstud32

where are some places to catch some cutties this time of year and going into the winter. and that is an hour to an hour and a half away from portland.
thanks

B

beaverfan

The only lake I can think of that has them and is still open is Lost Lake Clatsop County. I'm not sure if it's still open, but I think I remember it being open still. As far as streams they are all closed till next spring.

M

Markcanby

Dont forget about the mighty Mo Beaver. It has some nice cutties an is open year round. Once we get past this crazy rain an get to a more steady pattern I plan on get out in it with the fly rod. Oh if you dont know the Mo thats the Molalla River its not real far from Portland maybe 30min depending where you are.

N

No_Bad_Skunks

Try Aaron Mercer Reservoir, just east of Dallas OR. I was there, first week of November and did quite well.

Be aware, tho'.....Aaron Mercer is closed to motor vehicle entry except during November

S

solution7

Try Aaron Mercer Reservoir, just east of Dallas OR. I was there, first week of November and did quite well.

Be aware, tho'.....Aaron Mercer is closed to motor vehicle entry except during November

How big is that reservoir? Any bank angling access?

N

No_Bad_Skunks

How big is that reservoir? Any bank angling access?
About 75 acres...and bank angling is all there is; no boats allowed. ( This from a state patrolman I talked to. )

Finding a spot does involve some effort though. Aaron Mercer has steep banks that are very brushy in spots ( Think Harriet Lake. )

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
G

Growbug

I do believe that the Molalla River closes for twout on Oct 31st, but, if you don't mind hiking, there are a couple of small lakes up there.
I am going to be headed out on an expedition with fly rod soon to find out just how accessible a couple of them are.

Dont forget about the mighty Mo Beaver. It has some nice cutties an is open year round. Once we get past this crazy rain an get to a more steady pattern I plan on get out in it with the fly rod. Oh if you dont know the Mo thats the Molalla River its not real far from Portland maybe 30min depending where you are.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Unfriendly looking place...

Unfriendly looking place...

About 75 acres...and bank angling is all there is; no boats allowed. ( This from a state patrolman I talked to. )

Finding a spot does involve some effort though. Aaron Mercer has steep banks that are very brushy in spots ( Think Harriet Lake. )

Hmmm :think: I went out Martin and passed at least three signs saying "Gate Closed" "Private Property" "No Trespassing" "Violators Will Be Prosecuted"...you know,all the inviting stuff. :rolleyes: I dutifully ignored them all and kept at it til I saw the squatty lil green buildings. I did not venture down that road...I chickened out. :redface: :lol: In my defense,it sort of gave me the heebie-jeebies out there :protest: ,just not friendly looking at all.:naughty: Plus,I didn't have any gear with me. I wasn't even sure I was in the right spot. IF I can get Autofisher to go with me,I'll give it another try...maybe. :tongue:

Last edited:
M

masmith

Hmmm :think: I went out Martin and passed at least three signs saying "Gate Closed" "Private Property" "No Trespassing" "Violators Will Be Prosecuted"...you know,all the inviting stuff. :rolleyes: I dutifully ignored them all and kept at it til I saw the squatty lil green buildings. I did not venture down that road...I chickened out. :redface: :lol: In my defense,it sort of gave me the heebie-jeebies out there :protest: ,just not friendly looking at all.:naughty: Plus,I didn't have any gear with me. I wasn't even sure I was in the right spot. IF I can get Autofisher to go with me,I'll give it another try...maybe. :tongue:

I want to try it out, but want to confirm some directions because it sounds like it could be dangerous!

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wrestlerstud32

I do believe that the Molalla River closes for twout on Oct 31st, but, if you don't mind hiking, there are a couple of small lakes up there.
I am going to be headed out on an expedition with fly rod soon to find out just how accessible a couple of them are.

really?... i didn't realize that there are lakes around the mo. tell me if you have any luck with any of them.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

I want to try it out, but want to confirm some directions because it sounds like it could be dangerous!

:lol:

I shoulda known...:lol: Take 99 south to the highway 22 interchange and follow the signs to Dallas. Once in Dallas just follow Ellendale out to the gravel pit (Martin St Rd or whatever) just veer to the right and stay on the gravel road. Let me know where you end up and how you did. Be aware that as I was leaving there was a lil 4 wheeler coming in with a bunch of young guys. Within 10 minutes, I heard gunshots. Not saying it was them,but that looked like a great place for target practice. Just don't become a target.:naughty:

N

No_Bad_Skunks

Let's see if this will work

Last edited:
N

No_Bad_Skunks

Is that a pic of Mercer? If it is,I was sooo in the wrong spot. :doh: :redface: How far OFF the pavement do I have to go to get to that spot? I would love to find this water. Thanks. :D

Yes, that's Aaron Mercer

It's about 8 miles to the lake. The thing to remember is that when you turn off onto Martin, the road immediately forks, and isn't marked. Take the LEFT fork, not the right fork, and keep going past the gravel company.

One more thing: I was last there way back at the beginning of November. From what I heard the gate is supposed to be open all this month...but I also heard that yes, boats were allowed, ( Sheriff's Deputy ) then no, they weren't. ( State Trooper ) So I can't say for sure that the gate open now.

Last but not least, Aaron Mercer is the drinking water supply for the city of Dallas....so if you go, ( this is for everyone ) please keep it clean.

Last edited:
M

masmith

Yes, that's Aaron Mercer

It's about 8 miles to the lake. The thing to remember is that when you turn off onto Martin, the road immediately forks, and isn't marked. Take the LEFT fork, not the right fork, and keep going past the gravel company.

One more thing: I was last there way back at the beginning of November. From what I heard the gate is supposed to be open all this month...but I also heard that yes, boats were allowed, ( Sheriff's Deputy ) then no, they weren't. ( State Trooper ) So I can't say for sure that the gate open now.

Last but not least, Aaron Mercer is the drinking water supply for the city of Dallas....so if you go, ( this is for everyone ) please keep it clean.

Just if mac w and l would let us fish mcguirre! Bet there are hogs in there.

C

chris61182

Just if mac w and l would let us fish mcguirre! Bet there are hogs in there.

It sure would be nice for us, and a great source of revenue for them if they decided to turn McGuire and Haskins into parks like Washington County did with Hagg.

Top Bottom