Current state of fuel stabilizers?

G
GDBrown
I have read all the old threads about fuel issues and ethanol etc. Since I am recently back into using an outboard for propulsion I am wondering what the best additive is for dealing with ethanol in the street gas.:confused: I have read on the OSMB website about places to buy none-blended gas to avoid the ethanol altogether. I have read about several stabilizers which some claim do not solve the problems caused by ethanol. I understand the need for continued maintainence, draining the fuel from the motor before taking it out of the water when I'm not going back in for a week or so, etc.

So, What's the best additive and why?

GD

T
Thuggin4Life
Hey Gene I have never bought the stabilizer i just make sure to run the motor out of gas everytime even if i am launching again in the morning. From what i understand the ethonal only can hurt the seals if it sits so while the motor is running it is getting pushed by qwicker than it can do damage and by running the motor out of gas problem solved. i also tried the no ethonal gas once to see if it ran better and i noticed no diferrence. Also I tried the higher octane and noticed no difference. This was all on a 1990 2 stroke and haven't had any problems with the 87 or 99 two strokes i have had since just running them out every time. When I bought the 1990 clemens marina told me not to worry about ethonol and just run it out every time. I think all this extra stuff is just extra money. Now if your motor is from the 50's you might want non ethanol. But this is just my opinion and only have been ab outboard owner for a little longer than a year now.

F
fishnquest
I have used a 6hp merc, about a '99 or so for the last 2 years. I have never used a stabilizer. I have used all kinds of gas and I can't tell the difference either. I had good intentions to use a stabilizer, just never stopped to get it. I have not had a problem with the motor.

L
livin2fish
Hey if you want to use a stabilizer use stabil marine it is really great stuff, I use it all the time and never had a problem.

FISHON

S
SNDSLGR
Ok, here is my take. I built and designed 2 stroke motors for many years in the motorcycle world so I have seen the illl effects of everything from abuse, cheap oil, shiboigan fuel etc...

Finding non blended gas is painfull and costly and imo not a realistic day-in-day-out solution. Marine stabil not only works to nutralize the effects of ethonal it also is great for seals, keeping rust out of your tank, and keeping build up out of your carbs.... ohh, and its cheap and easy. (the way I like it)

I just sold my old boat and stabil was used on every tank, keep it with your oil and add a half ounze to 5 gallons of fuel for normal use... double that for storage time. The two gas tanks that went with the boat were 25 years old and did not have one spec of rust in them. BTW, a small bottle of stabil and a gallon of oil mixed at 50:1 will treat almost exactly the same amount of fuel so buy it togather.

On draining fuel from carbs... I dont approve of this thinking and imo it is a lazy mechanics answear that only causes more trouble (its a common mis-conseption in the motorcycle world also). Why you ask? When you drain a carb or run it dry you leave in your carb fuel residue that will rapidly dry out and leave behind a very thin layer of fuel varnish which quickly becomes flaky and loose. Next time you prime your carb guess where those flakes of crap are going? Right into your pilot jet for a long day of crappy idle and or not running.

My way for long or short storage is to leave fuel in the carb, just turn the motor off and leave it. Here is where your cheaply streated fuel is gonna help you out. It will keep everything from drying out and wont go bad for 6 months. If you drain it you have nothing to keep that varnish (corrosion) from building in the carb and you will have troubles... How many times have you heard "it wont run/or runs like crap--- I dont know why I drained the carb and everything"

Treat your fuel, dont drain the carb, ever!

Last edited by a moderator:
S
stream2.5
long term storage... 90 days or more drain tank and use in car the small oil quantity when diluted wont effect squat in your car

short storage just run the carb dry, ethanol isn't bad for anything unless your jetted on the ragged edge of lean with non oxygenated fuel... then the 10% ethanol will require about 3% more fuel by volume. thus could cause a over lean condition.

if you understand the propertys of ethanol there is zero risk for daily use, or even short term storage... where things go bad is storage beyond 90 days. it absorbs water, settles out of the gasoline base and the octain rating goesfrom 87-92 down to 82-85 and can cause engine damage. it takes 1% of water weight by volume to get the 10% ethanol to create an 11%mix that will ruineverything in an engine... and no ammount of fuel dryer, or filtering can catch it. if you ever see cloudy fuel... make it fire starter use only..

M
mosd
ive leaned away from using stabil marine grade and started using this treatment i got from the marina i goto, its called Star Brite StarTron Gasoline Additive and is very expensive but you use half as much as you would with stabil, for instant, one ounce of stabil for every 5 gallons vs. with startron, 1 oz for every 16 gallons, and since my tank on the boat is a 32 gal, two oz's is all i need

G
GDBrown
I'll Try it

I'll Try it

mosd said:
ive leaned away from using stabil marine grade and started using this treatment i got from the marina i goto, its called Star Brite StarTron Gasoline Additive and is very expensive but you use half as much as you would with stabil, for instant, one ounce of stabil for every 5 gallons vs. with startron, 1 oz for every 16 gallons, and since my tank on the boat is a 32 gal, two oz's is all i need

I picked some of the StraTron at Wallmart the other day while the wife was shopping for the grandkids. I paid about $7 for 8 oz, is that cheaper than getting it at a marina? I'm intrigued by the notion of an Enzyme product that helps stabilize the alcohol. Either way I'll try the additive and keep fuel in the carb this year and see how I like it. I understand the problem of ethanol adhering to water and where is a boat not near water?:think: Only when it's in the garage!:rolleyes:

If I can get the trim on the windows today I'll take the boat to Hagg Lake this afternoon for a maiden voyage. I lost my boater ed card and had to call OSMB and have them e-mail me a replacement form. $8 for a new card!:naughty: I wish they would just e-mail the card and let me print it!

Thanks for all the input,
GD

M
mosd
GDBrown said:
I picked some of the StraTron at Wallmart the other day while the wife was shopping for the grandkids. I paid about $7 for 8 oz, is that cheaper than getting it at a marina? I'm intrigued by the notion of an Enzyme product that helps stabilize the alcohol. Either way I'll try the additive and keep fuel in the carb this year and see how I like it. I understand the problem of ethanol adhering to water and where is a boat not near water?:think: Only when it's in the garage!:rolleyes:

If I can get the trim on the windows today I'll take the boat to Hagg Lake this afternoon for a maiden voyage. I lost my boater ed card and had to call OSMB and have them e-mail me a replacement form. $8 for a new card!:naughty: I wish they would just e-mail the card and let me print it!

Thanks for all the input,
GD

dang, maybe i should shop at walmart more often. i paid i think 20 bucks for 16oz of the stuff at the marina..

B
Bullitt
I don't think any of the stabilizers do anything for phase seperation. The best thing to do is burn the fuel up and keep it fresh. Not always an easy thing to do I know.

It's really disappointing this garbage fuel is shoved down our throats. I've had issues with E(crap) and I'm glad my boat no longer uses it.

C
capblack
I have always used the stabil and i have never had a problem in my boats. most of it will probably do fine, but a mechanic had recommended sta bil to me, and ive used it ever since. Brian

I
igot_it
There are two problems with ehtanol. First it absorbs water. I have no idea if stabilizers will fix that or not. I use them....I don't know. The other problem with ethanol is the enhanced solvent properties of the alchohol. It will disolve gums and varnish from older motoers and put those things in the smallest hole it can find. Hopefully that is in your fule filter. It could also be your carb. Older motors seem to really not like it. My soloution is extra inline filter outside the engine.change your fule lines and fuel pump. Put a new carb kit in. Forget about it.

F
fishtales
The best one would be the one that also helps fuel consumption in my opinion.

sry I did not mean to submit the above response and i would rather not elaborate.

Last edited: