Cured eggs?

S
Surejam
Alrighty... I have never tried using eggs to catch salmon or steelhead but I want to try. I know you can buy them at a lot of places but I also know that people cure their own and those probably work better than some of the storebought eggs.

SO........

Is there anyone that would either tell me what the best eggs are to use and where to get them? Or sell or trade me some of your home cured eggs (if you think yours are better than storebought ) which I would rather try.

Also, a little direction as to how to fish them properly.......:think:

Surejam

F
FishKiller23
Surejam said:
Alrighty... I have never tried using eggs to catch salmon or steelhead but I want to try. I know you can buy them at a lot of places but I also know that people cure their own and those probably work better than some of the storebought eggs.

SO........

Is there anyone that would either tell me what the best eggs are to use and where to get them? Or sell or trade me some of your home cured eggs (if you think yours are better than storebought ) which I would rather try.

Also, a little direction as to how to fish them properly.......:think:

Surejam

I cure most of my own eggs. Using procure and firecure. But I have tried Amerman eggs and I must say they are pretty good. Also I hear good things about Xtreme Northwest eggs.

I like to drift a small chunk of eggs under my corkie. Just tie your hook up using a baitloop and then throw on a corkie and put a small chunk of eggs in the baitloop. Or you could run them under a float.

Last edited:
C
carl hungis
FishKiller23 said:
I cure most of my own eggs. Using procure and firecure. But I have tried Amerman eggs and I must say they are pretty good. Also I hear good things about Xtreme Northwest eggs.

I like to drift a small chunk of eggs under my corkie. Just tie your hook up using a baitloop and then throw on a corkie and put a small chunk of eggs in the baitloop. Or you could run them under a float.

might also try ed rice at sunrise bait. give me a pm, I can give you a killer egg recipe that is super simple and lethal on steelies

B
BlackBass
I would give Eric a call at XtremeNW bait comp. You can google the name.He knows what hes talking about when it comes to cureing eggs:)

B
beaverfan
Ya he also had some adds in the sell section here, not sure if they're still up though.

M
Mike123
What ever you do, don't buy Guide's Choice eggs... They are basically catfish bait..

I've had really good success with Amerman's in the past.. though Joe's isn't in business anymore so not sure where you buy them.

If you want good eggs, catch and cure your own. For steelhead, use borax, sugar, salt, and knox gelatin... and bait dye if you prefer. I think natural colored eggs are best for steelhead.
I just cured me up some fresh winter steely eggs last night. :D:dance:
I also threw in a small amount of Orange sugar free Jello for a bit of color and "rubberyness."

F
FishKiller23
Mike123 said:
What ever you do, don't buy Guide's Choice eggs... They are basically catfish bait..

I've had really good success with Amerman's in the past.. though Joe's isn't in business anymore so not sure where you buy them.

If you want good eggs, catch and cure your own. For steelhead, use borax, sugar, salt, and knox gelatin... and bait dye if you prefer. I think natural colored eggs are best for steelhead.
I just cured me up some fresh winter steely eggs last night. :D:dance:
I also threw in a small amount of Orange sugar free Jello for a bit of color and "rubberyness."

+1

1 1/4 cups of borax
1/4 cup sugar
half box or more of jello

here is a good one. pretty much the same. Ive always been told steelhead arent huge fans of all the chemicals used in some of the store bought cures.

Last edited:
S
Surejam
Thanks for the info, I will have to check into getting some eggs, I think it might help in me catching a steelhead.

Surejam

T
Thuggin4Life
If you want to try to cure some go buy some guides choice eggs and practice.

Y
Yentz
Just double check and make sure the cures don't have Sodium Sulfite in them. From the recent ODFW testing, it appears to be the culprit in killing off smelts.

S
steelhead_stalkers
The test seems to be a bit controlled. I bet if we all pee in a tank full of smolts they would die too but people pee in the river all the time and I am sure that smolts are not dying because of it. We will see how that study ends but I think they should spend their money on other studies!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
You pee in the river?!

You pee in the river?!

steelhead_stalkers said:
The test seems to be a bit controlled. I bet if we all pee in a tank full of smolts they would die too but people pee in the river all the time and I am sure that smolts are not dying because of it. We will see how that study ends but I think they should spend their money on other studies!

EWWWwwwww! :rolleyes: That's just nasty...though I understand how it might happen by accident,like say reaching for a rod that has fallen into the river and slipping on slime followed by a total face plant in the cold water. Let's just assume water wasn't the only thing in my waders that morning...just saying. :confused: :lol: :lol:

T
Thuggin4Life
Yentz said:
Just double check and make sure the cures don't have Sodium Sulfite in them. From the recent ODFW testing, it appears to be the culprit in killing off smelts.

Is the smelt fishing anygood this time of year? just joking. just use some borax and sea salt. no need for the more fancy/expensive cure.

M
Mike123
Yentz said:

Whoa... whoa.. smelt, and smolt are two different species.. smolt are baby salmon and steelhead.. that's what they are doing the study on. ;)

S
Surejam
So while I was on the way home from work I bought some eggs ...but then I found out that they were the ones that people mentioned were not the best to use ! :doh: Lesson learned I guess....."read your emails before making decisions on bait you know nothing about ! :confused:

I may have to try and spice them up a bit with the sugar, borax and jello ( or what ever else I can use ) and use them this weekend. I still need to find someone that has some home cured eggs. Once I finally catch one with eggs I will definitly be curing my own.

Surejam

M
Mike123
Oh no... you bought guides choice didn't you!? Once and awhile if you can find a mentally handicapped steelhead, they will actually bite that "stuff." :lol:

S
Surejam
HA... I know .....I am a dumbshit ..... :lol:

I even thought about seeing if I could take them back... but then again, I have to think they are better than nothing.... Or are they?

So until I find something else, they will have to do.

M
Mike123
Yarn flies, EZ Eggs, Glo bugs, dipped in Salmon feast or Pautzke Nectar all will work better. :cool:

S
Surejam
I'll probably head out sometime in the next couple of days and try most if not all of those options as well.

Once I land one of these it will get easier... but for now I am throwing just about everything at them.

T
Thuggin4Life
Those guides choice in my opinion are under cured and fall apart on the 1st or 2nd cast. You should just try to cure them again.