Culling fish?

N
noladude
I don't remember seeing this in the regs, but can you cull trout in Oregon? This would assume that they are in a livewell and are not injured in any way.

C
capblack
sure, you can cull trout. you catch five, kill em, and grill em. thats how ya cull trout in oregon!!

B
Bad Tuna
Yes you can, unfortunately many put them on a stringer, then cull them.

M
Modest_Man
Am I missing something? To cull something means to remove it from a group based on specific criteria, usually by killing the ones selected to be culled. How does that not injure the fish?

C
colbypearson
Modest_Man said:
Am I missing something? To cull something means to remove it from a group based on specific criteria, usually by killing the ones selected to be culled. How does that not injure the fish?

its like bass terms in a bass tournament you typically get your best 5 fish of the day and you can cull out a smaller fish for a larger fish like an upgrade, but all the fish must be alive you can't cull a dead fish, unfortunately trout die a lot easier and i couldnt see it bieng that effective

B
Bad Tuna
Up grading is the term I use, but some also call it culling. Personally I just have a minimum size in my mind, anything smaller just gets released.

M
Modest_Man
Ahhh ok. I was thinking along the lines of selective breeding where you cull the ones you don't want (by killing).

C
ChezJfrey
I don't think you can once you reach the daily limit...prior to that, I assume it's OK if the fish are healthy.

From the regs: "Continuing to angle for the same type of fish after taking and retaining a catch or possession limit."

W
wozniasm
From the Regs:
General Restrictions Page 10:
The following activities are unlawful:
14 Continuing to angle for the same type of fish after taking and retaining a catch or possession limit. Exceptions are provided for in bass
fishing tournament regulations and while anglers are providing assistance to a disabled angler (see page 7). Anglers may continue to
angle for sturgeon provided all subsequent fish are released.

N
noladude
Thanks, wozniasm. Hadn't thought about that angle of it. Of course, all of this is dreaming on my part, I have to catch the D@#*n things first ;-)