Culinary adventure

Fattie
Fattie
I am aware that everyone's tastes are different, but I'd like to hear everyone's favorite saltwater fish to eat! Specifically, I'm looking for surf, rock, or jetty fish, as I don't have a boat. I expect to hear lingcod a lot, but would like to see what else is up there.

Reactions: Admin
B
BrandonBeach
I would take a flounder (sole?) over any catchable saltwater fish. Greenlings are very tasty also......

For freshwater fish, yellow perch, if I can find any big enough, with crappie a close second.

IMHO

BB

Reactions: Fattie
plumbertom
plumbertom
I'll take almost any rock fish that's been properly cared for after catch but I have a definite preference for ling cod.

Fattie
Fattie
plumbertom said:
I'll take almost any rock fish that's been properly cared for after catch but I have a definite preference for ling cod.
Property cared for? Do you just mean bled?

Reactions: plumbertom
Irishrover
Irishrover
Bled and iced is the way to go. Petrale sole is an awesome fish for any culinar adventure, although not often caught from shore.

Fattie
Fattie
I've never bled a fish, as I was never taught about it. I've seen it in some videos though, and i plan on trying the practice. I have seen some cut into the fish for an artery, but i think I'll just go for the gills.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Take a sharp knife and cut behind the gill plate into the gills and the fish will bleed out. Ice the fish to keep the meat firm, especially if you are going to be fishing all day.

Fattie
Fattie
When you say that, you mean the knife cuts just the gills, right? Or are you cutting into the fishes flesh?

Admin
Admin
Fattie said:
When you say that, you mean the knife cuts just the gills, right? Or are you cutting into the fishes flesh?

plumbertom
plumbertom
Bled and kept cool. On ice if you can. I usually keep my rock fish in my live well alive until I'm on the way in then bleed them and let them soak in the cold water in the live well until I get to the cleaning station where I fillet them and put them on Ice in my cooler.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Bleed and ice your fish right away and you will tell the difference.

Fattie
Fattie
Thanks, very helpful. Now just to catch the beasts. I've had a bad few weeks.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Its not always convenient but I always try to put a bag or two of crushed ice in a cooler along with a couple frozen milk jugs filled with water. With bottom fish I just cut the gills and toss them in the cooler. With salmon and steelhead, I take the time to push as much blood out as possible.

And I have to say my favorite bottom fish is Cabezon. Overall my favorite ocean fish is Salmon. I did catch a blue fin once though...hard to beat that.

Fattie
Fattie
Thanks.. i haven't heard much about cabezon, so it's good to hear some praise.

D
DG1959
I don’t bleed if I can catch a limit fast.... therefor I bleed them.