Crooked River trip

B
bigsteel
so we got to the crooked river early friday and started fishing,,,caught three fish from the get go,,,then it was dead for the day til the sun started to set and i casted out my stimulator and started to strip it in cause i thought i had moss on it,,,,,i started peeling it off and it wasn't moss it was a BAT and it started squealing and flying around hooked on my fly,,,,,,so i had eggs come over and get it off....i dont do bats......a guy from odfw stopped by doing a fish survey and informed us thta the state record whitefish was almost caught right above us the day before,,,,he was a half ounce off the record cause he only kept the fish in ice if he would have used water the fish would have maintained more weight......caught several redbands and a few whitefish,,,the river is really choked out with weeds so its so going,,,but it was a great trip:):):)

B
bigsteel
:d:d:):d:d

J
JeannaJigs
Haha bat assassin! I wouldn't touch that thing either. I haven't been to the crooked in a long time. Maybe next year I'll be able to make a trip over there.

F
Finneus Polebender
Odd place for a bat ,would have been cautious around that one!Cool pics and report though!

L
lilsalmon
I didn't catch a thing for 2 days...thats cause I was dry fly fishing almost the whole time because I was tired of pulling moss OFF my nymphs...Then Sunday morning just before we left I put a nymph on (like Dave was saying the whole trip) and got that nice whitefish.....lost that skunky smell finally. :D

M
metalfisher76
Getting around guys!! That`s awesome!!!!!!

F
fisherwilly
Looks like a great trip. I love that section of river. Maybe I need to be on a state record quest. Too bad the ODFW doesn't have a master angler program to reward giant fish caught that aren't state records, but are nice fish.

O
OnTheFly
I believe in Jefferson, Crook, and Deschutes counties that it is C&R only for bats between July 30th to October 1st. After that you can bag up to 300 and there's no size limit. Black wooly Buggers, Stimulators, and #4 Golden Stones work best.

E
eggs
I didn't touch the ****ing bat!!

Hahahaa awesome trip..great river even if I only got a fet small redbands.. nextweekend??? Olallie/horseshoe!

L
lilsalmon
eggs said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And it wasn't a tea party!!!!!!!!

T
Thuggin4Life
Sweet! Nince fish and a great trip!

A
autofisher
Nice fish guys. One of these days I'm going to have to steal Dave's fly box. So I have a chance at hooking fish on the fly.

G
GDBrown
Bats on the fly.....

Bats on the fly.....

eggs said:

Hahahaa awesome trip..great river even if I only got a fet small redbands.. nextweekend??? Olallie/horseshoe!

It's a good thing too.:mad: I read an article a few weeks ago that said if you catch one while fly fishing reel it in so it can't touch anything but the rod tip, then let it grab hold of a tree trunk or something similar then cut the tippet about ten inches from the bat. Do not try to take the fly out of the bat like I did. :rolleyes:My bad!:rolleyes: The author said the rabies virus can be on anything the bat touched so wash the rod tip and replace the tippet and leader if you even think it touched them. It also said that ultraviolet light kills the virus so put any gloves (like mine) or other objects in the sun to kills the virus. There is no cure for rabies if you wait too long, it is always fatal!:( If you get bit or scratched by a bat kill it and retain it for testing and go straight to ER!:shock:

Be Safe, quit fishing when the bats come out....

GD

L
lilsalmon
GDBrown said:
It's a good thing too.:mad: I read an article a few weeks ago that said if you catch one while fly fishing reel it in so it can't touch anything but the rod tip, then let it grab hold of a tree trunk or something similar then cut the tippet about ten inches from the bat. Do not try to take the fly out of the bat like I did. :rolleyes:My bad!:rolleyes: The author said the rabies virus can be on anything the bat touched so wash the rod tip and replace the tippet and leader if you even think it touched them. It also said that ultraviolet light kills the virus so put any gloves (like mine) or other objects in the sun to kills the virus. There is no cure for rabies if you wait too long, it is always fatal!:( If you get bit or scratched by a bat kill it and retain it for testing and go straight to ER!:shock:

Be Safe, quit fishing when the bats come out....

GD

ARE YOU SERIOUS????? It was my rod that caught it and the fly that was supposedly pulled out of the bat is in my dry fly box as I type.....What are the signs of rabies cause my eyes look really red and I have foamy stuff running down my chin....geez....thats disgusting...

G
GDBrown
lilsalmon said:
ARE YOU SERIOUS????? It was my rod that caught it and the fly that was supposedly pulled out of the bat is in my dry fly box as I type.....What are the signs of rabies cause my eyes look really red and I have foamy stuff running down my chin....geez....thats disgusting...

I'm not sure if I remember what to look for after infection....... Well, It's been nice knowin' ya!!!! LOL

Remember the Ultraviolet light kills the bug. Just put the stuff out in the sun!!

L
lilsalmon
hmmmmmm.....will have to worry when I find myself hanging from the ceiling in the garage...hehe

O
OnTheFly
lilsalmon said:
ARE YOU SERIOUS????? .....What are the signs of rabies cause my eyes look really red and I have foamy stuff running down my chin....geez....thats disgusting...

Might just be that you got up too early the day after a strenuous fishing trip and didn't quite wipe all the toothpaste off your face.:think::lol:

L
lilsalmon
OnTheFly said:
Might just be that you got up too early the day after a strenuous fishing trip and didn't quite wipe all the toothpaste off your face.:think::lol:

That must be it.....whew....

E
eggs
I have been biting and freaking out pissed off and raged ever since Sunday!

Did I touch the bat??? NO "I didn't touch the ****ing bat!"

L
lilsalmon
eggs said:
I have been biting and freaking out pissed off and raged ever since Sunday!

Did I touch the bat??? NO "I didn't touch the ****ing bat!"

I'm wondering what you pulled out of the bat if my fly was still on my line??? hmmmm someone elses fly? hehe....