Crooked River rainbows

B

bigsteel

just got back from campin on the crooked and what a gorgeous place to fish and relax...Lilsalmon wanted to learn to fly fish so i showed her a few basics,,,and off she was...2 rainbows back to back,,,her first time fly fishing,,,,i didn't get any hookups for a good hour..then 5oclock rolled around,,i was sittin by the river and u huge midge hatch just went off,,,10 to 20 fish jumpin one after the other after the other,,it was nonstop action from there on out.I have to say it was one of the most amazing hatches ive witnessed,,we continued slammin the rainbows for 3 or 4 hours,,one after the other.i can't tell you how many i missed due to crappy hookset..next morning started fishing around 7 a little higher up,and another midge hatch was rollin,,Lilsalmon hooked two more and i had 6 hookups.the flies of the day were adams parachute,peacock caddis,and midge patterns,,,,even caught one on an SS micro jig.ive got to say this river is a perfect example of how a river should be maintained.I can't wait to go back next month...for all of you wanting to do the fly fishing get together what do you think about fishin the crooked??Heres a few of the beuties we got.All caught and released

R

rainbowfisherman

I think ive fished at the spot in the fourth picture. Theres a big boulder right in the middle of the river right?

M

Markcanby

How busy are the campgrounds I am thinking of making a trip in a few weeks.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Bigsteel looks like you landed in a good spot. Nice fish. I'll be over there next week sometime.

Markcanby....I've never seen the camp grounds crowded. There are ten camp grounds in that area all with good river access. If you haven't been there before the best fishing is after mile post 12. My favorite spot is by mile post 17.

B

bigsteel

hey mark,,,,,we were the only ones camping at that campground,,,and there like 10 other campgrounds each had like 1 or 2 people camping....there all right on the river also which is what i like

L

lilsalmon

Thanks Bigsteel for taking care of the post.....note to self: pay phone bill before going to paradise so internet works when you get home..

What an awesome place that was...I also have some great scenery pics and will post them tonight....

I love flyfishin.....and that is a good place to be.....we chose the perfect spot to camp...wish we would have had tent poles....hehe...sorry Bigsteel, I couldn't resist. :lol:

The trout were small but all were released unharmed but it was quite the rush....:dance:

L

lilsalmon

The campgrounds are awesome....what I liked was there was NOT one No Trespassing sign or Keep out signs...the whole river is accessible and fishable. A local told us that when he first moved there that he thought the summers would be packed but was surprised that it wasn't real bad. Probably cuz the heat...he says everyone heads our direction....

We are going back next month...with tent poles....I can't wait.

troutdude

troutdude

Dear lost in Pardise...

Dear lost in Pardise...

Way to go youse guyz! Looks like you had a great time.

I love the Crooked River. First went there when I was about 12, and my kid sister outfished all of us. But, it was a blast and one of the neatest places to camp that I've ever seen!

Happy that you guys had fun!

T

Thuggin4Life

What a weekend you guys. Nice looking fish. We are all gonna look like twins with are growler gear if we all meet up sometime.

G

GraphiteZen

Nice man, I grew up in Prineville! Learned to fly fish on that very river. Good memories indeed and what an absolutely gorgeous stretch of river!

M

Motorcycle Fred

I'm glad you had a great time fishing.....My house is less then 20 minutes from the Crooked so I get to fish it a lot. For the past 15 years it has consistently been my number 1 river to fish in the winter months. I'm not a huge fan of the water in the summer mainly because I don't get along with the beer drinking "monofiliment masters" all that well. I'm not a fly fishing snob by any means....I just have witnessed too many beer drinking, cigarette smoking, trash dumping "meat fisherman" in my days.

troutdude

troutdude

I'm glad you had a great time fishing.....My house is less then 20 minutes from the Crooked so I get to fish it a lot. For the past 15 years it has consistently been my number 1 river to fish in the winter months. I'm not a huge fan of the water in the summer mainly because I don't get along with the beer drinking "monofiliment masters" all that well. I'm not a fly fishing snob by any means....I just have witnessed too many beer drinking, cigarette smoking, trash dumping "meat fisherman" in my days.

Ummm...I am not a beer drinker, nor a cigarette smoker. But, I certainly know some who are--and many are very nice peeps! In fact, several of them go out of there way to gather up other peeps trash and pack it out. And, we thank them for that.

However, I do understand your feelings about trash dumpers! The few morons that ruin it for the rest of us. I am a sixth generation Oregonian, and not much makes me angry--except for the frickin' bas*ard** that pollute our fishing environment like they do.

Perhaps they would make good fish bait?

L

lilsalmon

I agree with Fred and TD....I do smoke but like most know the butts go in my pocket...and I don't drink beer. Where we camped there was a ton of butts...I picked up a few but got to looking around and thought that I would be down on the ground forever...I did remove a little gas cylinder with a bullet hole in it from the river and a plastic bag and wad of line. All in all I thought the banks were good compared to this side of the mountains....but I didn't fish the whole river....yet.....hehe

I always say I would like to witness just one person littering our banks, whether it be river or lake or pond...I am a very nice person but that could bring out the very nasty side of me.

Anyway, Motorcycle Fred, we really enjoyed "your" river and definitely will be back.

Last edited:
troutdude

troutdude

Wow. Those pics bring back wonderful memories. You sure picked a nice time to go!

Fred, I am jealous. You have it GOOD my friend!!!

M

Motorcycle Fred

Where we camped there was a ton of butts...I picked up a few but got to looking around and thought that I would be down on the ground forever...I did remove a little gas cylinder with a bullet hole in it from the river and a plastic bag and wad of line. All in all I thought the banks were good compared to this side of the mountains....but I didn't fish the whole river....yet.....hehe

I always say I would like to witness just one person littering our banks, whether it be river or lake or pond...I am a very nice person but that could bring out the very nasty side of me.

Anyway, Motorcycle Fred, we really enjoyed "your" river and definitely will be back.

Its "your" river also....wooohooooooo

Maybe someday there will be a $.25 cent deposit on butts? I bet that would make a lot of places cleaner?

M

metalfisher76

You had to see some flack coming? You can`t stereotype and not have people notice. I don`t smoke but I use mono on a fly rod!!! And I keep fish for meat. I must be a douche bag "mono master, meat fisherman". Bit since I don`t litter I`ll take it as compliment!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

M

Motorcycle Fred

You had to see some flack coming? You can`t stereotype and not have people notice. I don`t smoke but I use mono on a fly rod!!! And I keep fish for meat. I must be a douche bag "mono master, meat fisherman". Bit since I don`t litter I`ll take it as compliment!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I didn't stereotype anybody.......you know the type I'm talking about anyways....."mono masters" and "meat fisherman" is my way of describing the people who have no respect for the water. I once witnessed a guy who had caught about a dozen 6 1/2" brook trout on the upper headwaters of the Deschutes with worms and had gutted every last one of them as I walked by.....his worm containers and pre-snelled hook packages littering the bank where he hiked into.....It's all good.....I just choose to hike into more remote locations during the "season" so as to avoid those who don't have the same philosophy as I do....those kinds of people need easy access to the beds of their trucks loaded with ice chests and cases of cheap beer and a loud stereo.....Usually all it takes is a short hike to leave the rest of the world behind anyways.....

M

metalfisher76

I didn't stereotype anybody.......you know the type I'm talking about anyways....."mono masters" and "meat fisherman" is my way of describing the people who have no respect for the water. I once witnessed a guy who had caught about a dozen 6 1/2" brook trout on the upper headwaters of the Deschutes with worms and had gutted every last one of them as I walked by.....his worm containers and pre-snelled hook packages littering the bank where he hiked into.....It's all good.....I just choose to hike into more remote locations during the "season" so as to avoid those who don't have the same philosophy as I do....those kinds of people need easy access to the beds of their trucks loaded with ice chests and cases of cheap beer and a loud stereo.....Usually all it takes is a short hike to leave the rest of the world behind anyways.....

Dear sir, "meat fisherman" and "mono masters" is stereotyping, um period
Her`s what I found by googling the word:
~ oversimplified conception: an oversimplified standardized image of a person or group~
of course I know the type yer talkin about. But I don`t lump them in with people who enjoy a cigarette, a cold Heineken (man I`m thirsty), OR loud music:shock: I`m goin to a metal show saturday. Probly just a long haired punk huh? jk, but some would think you think that way just from your post, I guarantee it. Have a wonderful day sir!:D

Top Bottom