Crooked River Fishing

F
freeflyin
My buddies and I are going to fish the Crooked River and I'm wondering if anyone has any info on it? I've been asking around quite a bit and have gathered quite a bit of info but this forum usually does pretty well generating good info so I thought I would ask. Let me know. Thanks,
Troy

Irishrover
Irishrover
Not sure which part of the Crooked River you are headed to but the ten mile section below Bowman Dam is great fly water. Just take Hwy 27 south from Prineville. That area is all BLM land so there is lots of river access. There are camp grounds to pull into and pull outs along the road with access to the river. I fished up there in September and the dry fly fishing was good. I fished up around mile post 17 (my favorite spot). I stared out usuing nymps like I usually do up there but the bottom was so covered in moss that it made it impossible to be on the bottom with your nymph and not get caught up in the moss. For nymphs I use orange scudds, pheaseant tail, and prince nymphs. For dries I use BWO, Adams, and a black flie that I tie in an adams pattern. If you have never been in that canyon the scenery will blow your socks off. One other thing the water is usually turbid, don't let that bother you the fish are use to it. Have a great trip and be sure to lets us know how you did.;)

Last edited:
F
freeflyin

Crooked River camping​

Hey Irish,
I was wondering if you know of any campsites near mile markers 15-17, I've heard a lot of good things about the fishing by those mile markers? And, this may be a stupid question but what end of 27 do they start the mile markers? Thought I would ask. Thanks for any insight.
Troy

Irishrover
Irishrover
There are several up in that area. Big Bend, Upper Bison Butte, Post Pile and Cobble Rock. They are all good and the mile markers start at the Prinville end of the hwy.

F
fishtales
Good luck. it has been a couple years but here are two tackle shops located in Prineville.

The Fly Fisher's Place 541-549-3474.

Fin & Feather Fly Shop 541- 447-8691

Chamber of Commerce 541-447-6304.

Chimney Rock is ussually where I will fish. There is a good hole right there. Also you can walk down stream about a hundred yards and cross if the water is low enough. Once you get on the other side you can continue down stream aways. Good luck! :)

F
freeflyin
Thanks fellas.....I appreciate all of the info. I just got back from the river and it was awesome. I caught about 80 fish in the 2.5 days I fished. I caught a white fish that I could have sworn was a log until it started moving. I really thought I was going to have to break it off of my 4 wt. Lots of fish in that river, that's for sure. If anyone ever decides to go there I used a flashback pheasant tail and a yellow scud with a strike indicator. I hope yall get a chance to get there some time soon, the water level is money right now.

Troy

Z
ZeeBorn
I have done well there with olive bead head caddices and pink or orange glow bugs. Also if the river is slow fishing just pop up to the rez and cast minnow imitations off the dam with a sinking line and a slow retrieve. I've got a few nice trout doing that plus bass and crappie.
-Nate

F
freeflyin
Crooked River fishing report

rainbowfisherman said:
I might fish there next week..any current reports??

When I went at the end of November I used flashback pheasant tail and yellow or brown scud combo with and indicator that was set at 1.5 times the water depth. If you're aren't hitting the bottom every few casts you aren't getting the flies down far enough. I guarantee 30 fish days if you fish this river with a very good dead drift. Don't try to cast too far and high-stick it as good as you can. When you see the indicator submerge set the hook downstream. My buddy missed about 20 fish because he was trying to set the hook straight up, it was freekin hilarious. Anyhow, have a blast, I know I did.
Troy

J
jacob

Crooked River Fishing​

The Crooked River originates high in the Ochoco Mountains. It cuts through the rugged high desert of Central Oregon to its confluence with the Deschutes River north of Bend Oregon.Rainbow Trout are the dominant species though at times it may seem that the only fish in the river are White Fish. Rainbows average 8 to 10 inches though you will likely hook a few 14 to 18 inchers. What's great about the Crooked River is a constant water temperature and consistent insect hatches.

Crooked River Fishing

Reactions: Admin
M
Motorcycle Fred
I fished the Crooked the past two weekends and did fairly well. The water is pretty clear right now and the air temps have been in the upper 50's. No rising fish and no hatches yet....but if you work an orange tied down elk hair caddis you'll more then likely pull in a mixed bag of white fish and rainbows. Most of my fish were taken right below the riffles on the return strip.....use short and quick 1" strips and the fish will go ballistic trying to eat your fly.

Last edited:
M
Motorcycle Fred
I just got back from fishing the Crooked River for a couple hours this afternoon and I landed 18 rainbows with the largest being 15" and probably lost double that amount while fighting them... They were sucking up my cream colored compara-duns like candy.......

Crooked River fishing

Crooked River fishing report

B
bigsteel
hey fred how does the weather and roads look over that way,,, was thinkin of hittin the crooked for a couple days starting tomorrow♦

M
Motorcycle Fred
bigsteel said:
hey fred how does the weather and roads look over that way,,, was thinkin of hittin the crooked for a couple days starting tomorrow♦

The pass probably has a little snow on top but over here the roads are clear and clean. No ice or snow to be found anywhere. Tomorrow the temps should be in the 60's and all I can say is that the evening hatch on the Crooked will be an event not to miss.

B
bigsteel
sound like i need to get my butt over there...thanks fred

M
Motorcycle Fred
bigsteel said:
sound like i need to get my butt over there...thanks fred

I just looked at the road camera on the Santiam pass and the road looks clean and clear.
Say hello if you see me on the water....I'll be in a red dodge mini-van or a red dodge truck...

M
Motorcycle Fred
I just got back from the Crooked again! I lost count at how many I caught and released......but know for sure that my 4th cast resulted in a big (16") fat rainbow!!! The water was so-so for most of the day but at 5pm somebody told them fish's to start eating anything on the water! For the next 2 hours it was non-stop hook and release action.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I plan to be over there the middle of next week. I need to do a few thing at my Culver place and then head to the Crooked. Have you caught any of those taged fish yet. I cracked up they posted notices that if you caught one get the number off the tag and release the fish. Then let them know what the number is. So last fall I caught a taged fish. I'm in the river not wearing classes and all I can see on the squirming fish is a blue tag with what looks like some black dots and that fish wasn't about to stick around and tell me what his numbers were.

M
Motorcycle Fred
Irishrover said:
I plan to be over there the middle of next week. I need to do a few thing at my Culver place and then head to the Crooked. Have you caught any of those taged fish yet. I cracked up they posted notices that if you caught one get the number off the tag and release the fish. Then let them know what the number is. So last fall I caught a taged fish. I'm in the river not wearing classes and all I can see on the squirming fish is a blue tag with what looks like some black dots and that fish wasn't about to stick around and tell me what his numbers were.

I didn't even know about the tagged fish. So I have to carry my reading glasses, cell phone, paper and pen now it looks like :) I haven't seen any posted notices yet about them...

Irishrover
Irishrover
Maybe they are finished with the study. I'll check next week.

Last edited:
M
Motorcycle Fred
Here is my little friend from yesterday morning.....
He hammered my tungsten bead head (gold) all black pheasant tail nymph....

fredfish003.jpg