Crooked and Deschutes rivers are high

Irishrover
Irishrover
Checked out the Crooked and the Deschuted river today. Both are high but at least the Deschutes has good color. The Crooked is mud brown. Think I'll be headed back toward the Sandy soon.

O
OnTheFly
Irishrover said:
Checked out the Crooked and the Deschuted river today. Both are high but at least the Deschutes has good color. The Crooked is mud brown. Think I'll be headed back toward the Sandy soon.
Thanks for the on site report. The Crooked is still at about 1K cfs. Needs to be around 400. Might have been fishable with a 6oz. BWO.:D

Irishrover
Irishrover
OnTheFly said:
Thanks for the on site report. The Crooked is still at about 1K cfs. Needs to be around 400. Might have been fishable with a 6oz. BWO.:D

6oz BWO would not do the trick. Now a 16oz Guinness would work just fine, maybe even a couple of them. There is about two inches of snow here now and it's still coming down. A wee bit colder than last year.

O
OnTheFly
Irishrover said:
6oz BWO would not do the trick. Now a 16oz Guinness would work just fine, maybe even a couple of them.
That's perfect! Now why didn't I think of that? lol

Last edited:
F
fredaevans
Ditto the Rogue River. About the only place 'fishable' is the top 1/3 mile below the hatchery.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I think many of the river are a little high. I hope the Sandy is in great shape come next Friday. I'm making a float trip with the spey rod. I just went back to the Crooked and it still looks ugly.

S
skunk
I chose the Metolius this weekend and it was putting out the fish :) Even with the snow.

F
FishFiddle
Was on the Met Sat. PM for a few hrs. trying the new Euo. nymphing technique I learned about at the expo. and had one nice take (think it is gonna take some practice). Beautiful water with the snow coming down off and on, but it was not too cold. Fished the Deschutes below Dillon Falls on Sunday with the 2 hander and it was pretty good clarity. First time on that stretch of water.

B
bigsteel
hey lonn how does the weather look over in prineville

Irishrover
Irishrover
Well looks like the Metolius and Upper Deschutes were the places to be. I'll have to look into this European Nymph casting. The upper Deschutes around Bend below Benham Fall can be a great winter fishing spot. I like the Deschutes because it is like having four rivers rolled into one. The upper a mid size river with pine trees, the mid river still a mid size river with juniper and sage, the lake sections of Lake Billy Chinook ans Simtustus, then the bid Deschutes from Pelton down to the mouth. It's a nice jewell to have.

F
FishFiddle
FYI-Euro Nymphing

FYI-Euro Nymphing

The Euro nymphing class was put on by the Doziers (husband-wife team) from Corvallis. They are associated with the Back Country Fly Shop in Corvallis. They covered the Short Line techniques (Polish and Czech) and also the long line technique (French and Spanish). I found it very informative and educational. They are doing the same class again on April 13 (Wed. evening) from 6-7:30 at the fly shop. They have a whole series of classes coming up and I plan on attending several. They have a website 'backcountryflyshop.com and I am sure they have more info about those classes if you are interested.

S
skunk
I don't know if it was you I met, but the guy I met that was using that tech. from the show was absolutely slaying them. Saw him catch 3 in a row, and came back later, he had another on. Just got some colored mono to give it a go myself.

E
eggs
Come on river levels.. 900 for crooked and 6300 for big d... both need to drop a bit.. I will settle for 600 and 5800..

Edit: it would be wise to watch out search results for "euro nymph videos" unless that's what you are into..

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Man I'm getting old! It took me five times reading that part of your post to get it. I though what's wrong with euro ?;)

"Edit: it would be wise to watch out search results for "euro nymph videos" unless that's what you are into.. " ,

E
eggs
All the reports from maupin are the fishing is great even in at the current river levels.. just have to adjust fishing spots..

F
FishFiddle
skunk said:
I don't know if it was you I met, but the guy I met that was using that tech. from the show was absolutely slaying them. Saw him catch 3 in a row, and came back later, he had another on. Just got some colored mono to give it a go myself.
Nope, not me by any stretch, but I appreciate the vote of confidence.

L
lilsalmon
I'm ready to hit the Crooked.....

E
eggs
big d down to 6100.. hope it keeps dropping! i have given up on the crooked until it stays low for a week, still running at 900

Reactions: OnTheFly
S
steelhead_slayer
depending on what part of the deschutes your looking at. below bend it is lower cause the canal opened monday. it'll be closed back up friday. and should rise again after that

Reactions: FishFiddle