Crippled fly rod

brandon4455
brandon4455
well, i guess i should have expected this for only paying 69.99 for this outfit, i was threading my line through the guides there was the normal amount of pressure that is always on the rod nothing heavy it's barely bendng at all and i hear a SNAP! next thing you know my mom is yellin at my for cussing my head off . i filed some exchange papers and im sending it off tomorrow..i wont get a replacement for about 3 weeks because cabelas is slow with returns look slike ill be mostly gear fishing when i get out :( so dont be a dumb arse like myself and make sure your rod is flat on a surface instead of above you when youi are pulling line out.. but hey i wont mind gear fishing for a bit :p

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
congratulations... you,ve broke your first flyrod! look forward to many more.. car doors, kids in drift boats, dogs, camper doors, airlines, native tree takedowns on your back cast, but probably never just on a fish... sorry to hear about your rod Brandon

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
congratulations... you,ve broke your first flyrod! look forward to many more.. car doors, kids in drift boats, dogs, camper doors, airlines, native tree takedowns on your back cast, but probably never just on a fish... sorry to hear about your rod Brandon

ha car door was tthe most for me in the past, and as muich as im pissed about it im still excited to test those spoons out ;)

H
halibuthitman
good timing I guess!

brandon4455
brandon4455
yup, ill be throwing them on the nestucca and salmon see what i come up with ill just admire the flies until i can use them

B
bigsteel
well now youve done it,it wont be the last time bud..i snapped 2 last year,thank god i take care of the old fiberglass rod

A
Amberjack
halibuthitman said:

You forgot ceiling fans ..LOL

brandon4455
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
well now youve done it,it wont be the last time bud..i snapped 2 last year,thank god i take care of the old fiberglass rod

i hate being a clutz..but theres no way that rod is suppose to snap with barely any pressure on it, good thing there is a 90 day warranty ill keep it in the case my grandma got me for xmas until i get to the river.. just to be safe. and LOL at amberjack

H
halibuthitman
brandon4455 said:
i hate being a clutz..but theres no way that rod is suppose to snap with barely any pressure on it, good thing there is a 90 day warranty ill keep it in the case my grandma got me for xmas until i get to the river.. just to be safe. and LOL at amberjack
well you have obviously never owned a g loomis, sage, or Thomas&Thomas... they practicaly come with their tips broke off.. its a very sad fact about qaulity rods...ultra sensative tips, cannot tolarate any pressure placed directly on them-

brandon4455
brandon4455
well that must **** people off when they pay over $200 for a rod and it snaps within a week.. i think when i get better ill stick with rods like st.croix or TFO they all have decent prices and wont make your blood pressure shoot through the roof if ya break it

H
halibuthitman
you cannot bend any rod the wrong way... no matter how much it cost.

S
Spydeyrch
Hey brandon,

Have you thought about getting an Echo Solo? they have some nice rods. It is only $30 more then your current rod, they come with a carrying case, and have a lifetime no questions asked warranty. I was talking to one of the local fly shop guys and he said that some guy came in with his rod broken in 9 places and Echo took it in and repaired/replaced it no questions. They are local, just here in Vancouver, WA, so turn around is pretty quick. Also, the owner is very adamant about they fact that his rods don't break. He claims that they won't break under normal conditions and even under some extreme ones. You should check out their testing videos on youtube. Crazy stuff!!! They threw like a 12lb weight on a 3wt rod and it didn't break until it was at the 90 degree mark!!!!!!!

Check them out, you might be surprised!

-Spydey

P.S. Sorry to hear about your rod.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks spydey ill look into that

B
bigsteel
a fly rod tip will break if you fart in its direction,,at least your learning quick ehhhh?? last year i slipped and put all my weight on the cork handle and it snapped that rod in pieces......solution=rip the bottom half off shove the reel down the front of your waders and pull out a nice 17 inch rainbow because you didint give up,,

H
halibuthitman
bigsteel said:
a fly rod tip will break if you fart in its direction,,at least your learning quick ehhhh?? last year i slipped and put all my weight on the cork handle and it snapped that rod in pieces......solution=rip the bottom half off shove the reel down the front of your waders and pull out a nice 17 inch rainbow because you didint give up,,
sweet.... its a darn good thing it wasn't a 15# char or Brown... a good run could have resulted in some... well... uh.... abnormal swelling

B
bigsteel
halibuthitman said:
sweet.... its a darn good thing it wasn't a 15# char or Brown... a good run could have resulted in some... well... uh.... abnormal swelling

heheheh,,that rod was flexing a bit but i wasn't about to go home.had to edit my post,,i just now figured out what your saying,,,,,hehehehehehehehhehehehehheheheh its early man

L
lilsalmon
bigsteel said:

I was there for that one....he looked funny with stuff hangin out of his waders....:lol: but like he said..he never gave up and hiked way up the river and kept on fishin....

brandon4455
brandon4455
great story dave, :lol: im sure there will be some more funny moments in the future trips mike told me about your troubles mr "biffsteel" LOL. it's a bit of a setback but oh well, i can sit here and dream like always :p until my new rod arrives and i wet that fly line on the coool winter water waiting for lazy mr steelhead to take that nymph :cool:

Last edited:
M
markasd
I too learned the hard way - 5wt Redington, just feeding the line through and pulled a knot against the tip eye and snap! Did'nt take much force either. It happens!

mark