Creeks opening early...

M

Modest_Man

Anyone fish the Abiqua above the falls, Butte creek above the falls, or silver creek above the falls? They open for trout Saturday (April 23rd), but I've only fished lower. I've got this nice 4wt I'd like to try out, and it would be nice to get out a month before the rest of the rivers and creeks open for trout.

I'm just looking for access points, otherwise I'm off to adventure this weekend and see what I can find.

C

chris61182

I have no input as far as access goes, but I did want to say thank you for making me take a look at the map in the regs again. I knew about the little luckiamute opening early above fall city, but I hadn't previously been aware of the others.

troutdude

troutdude

Hey MM, I just found a thread that you started last Fall. Haven't you been up there before, on Abiqua?

M

Modest_Man

Yeah, below the falls quite a bit. It only opens early ABOVE the falls. I think I have one access point to hit the Abiqua above the falls but I'm not 100% sure. I'm looking for others, and for info on Butte Creek (above the falls) and Silver Creek (above the res), which I have never fished.

It took me I think 4 trips to actually find Abiqua falls, so I'm hoping to get some more info a cut down the driving and hiking into incorrect areas. For example, unless I hit Butte Creek falls and see it with my own eyes, and then make it above it I'd pretty much have no idea if I was in a legal fishing area or not just by exploring.

I should really get a GPS and start documenting the stretches I've gone over so far...

Last edited:
G

GungasUncle

Modest Man - Butte Creek is one of my favorite little streams in the valley - and I fish it above the falls (the only stretch I know that's easy/public access below the falls is at the park in Scotts Mills). Just take Crooked Finger all the way up into the gravel portion, and take the last cut off to the left before you hit the locked gate. That'll take you down the hill to the little parking area to hike to the falls - I like fishing the plunge pools of the falls - the lower falls pool is a real bear to get to, but the upper falls plunge pool is easy cheesy - and lots of feisty little cutties and bows to play with. To be safe, you can just stick to fishing above the upper fall this early. Drive a little ways past the parking lot for the falls, you'll come to a campground you can park in the pull out for and walk the 100 yards to the river, or cross the bridge and park and hike down at the bridge. You can also follow the forest roads up and access the stream along the way.

Wading the creek is pretty easy in most places, but there are a few runs that are quite deep, and I've had water up to my nipples (I'm 6'4") when crossing one stretch in the spring. There's good fishing throughout the whole stream's length, really - but I'll cache that with the fact that the fish are not big - 6" is average, 10" is big, and a 12" fish is a real pig on that creek. Biggest I ever got was a 15" rainbow - I was shocked as all get out to find him there. He even took a dry fly (I think it was an elk hair caddis, or maybe a stimulator).

I've never gear-fished that stream before, for me, Butte Creek = Fly Fishing, but I'm sure you could do very, very well with small spinners up there. I have two go-to setups up there - dry & dropper with a big bushy dry, like an EHC, Stimulator, a Hopper, or something like a #10 Yellow or Royal Humpy, and I fish a small soft hackle wet, or small nymph under it - something like a caddis larvae, bead head hare's ear, or micro bugger. The dropper is never bigger than a size 12. I usually stick with a 3' tippet between the dry and the dropper.

My other go to rig up there is a #12 Woolly Bugger in black, unweighted, but pressed wet so it sinks on impact. Swim it through the heads of the pools and in pocket water, and you'll be surprised at where you get fish, and how large they can be.

I'm planning a few trips up to Butte this season - if you ever find yourself with a Wednesday or Thursday off - I'd be happy to show you around up there :)

M

Modest_Man

Thank you for the very informative post. I've only fished with spinners before (usually get 10-20 6-12" trout on the Abiqua with them), this is my first fly pole and I've yet to give it a cast. I get Wed and Thursday's off all the time, I'd love a tour. The first day off I get after this Saturday I'll be up that way, it's probably going to be during the week (I'll know for certain tomorrow).

I go the same way to fish the upper Abiqua, but instead of going way back and left I go right at the ORV area and head a couple miles down some sketchy gravel roads to a couple pullouts I found where you can then hike into the creek/falls. Maybe we can do Butte one day and Abiqua another.

I usually end up just bushwacking/hiking/wading 3-4 miles up stream looking for new water, so I'm always game for an adventure.

C

capblack

sounds like yer dialed in now for abiqua and butte creek. as far as silver creek goes, its all private and hard to access above the res, except for the silver falls area. the only other thing you could do is put your tune in at silverton res, row up to the mouth, and wade the upper creek from there. good luck up there, wherever you go. if you go up beyond butte falls, there is butte lakes as well, you take the left turn at the bottom of the hill to rhody lake.

S

skunk

Gungasuncle has it dialed. Its much easier to find the falls on butte creek than abiqua. If I remember there's an outhouse at the parking area of the access to the trail that leads to the butte creek falls. Its basically right off the rd. Few spots to park, then follow the trail down to the falls, if you don't want to hike all the way to the falls, then back up to the upper creek, hang more of a right off the parking area and hit the creek before the falls. They are nice, but its a hike back to fishable areas.

M

Modest_Man

I'll be going out Wed for sure, and maybe Monday if anyone wants to FISH.

M

Modest_Man

Ok, going out tomorrow depending on weather. Wed is now a float on the Santiam.

M

Modest_Man

Look what I found today-
IMG_0190.jpg

It took way longer than it should have, the turn off (left) is right at mile 2 of the gravel road, and I ended up about 6 miles till I hit a gate and then took the left before it, to a dead end littered with thousands of shells, shell boxes, propane cans, clay target boxes, and pretty much anything you can shoot holes in. Certain people have no respect for the outdoors these days.

IMG_0187.jpg
If you hit this you're 4 miles to far.

IMG_0188.jpg
Douche-bags.

I guess there used to be a sign when you turned left to the campground but the sign is all gone except the end of the word "creek". If you go up look for the mileage spray painted on the trees in blue and white, you take a left right at mile 2.

Temperature was cold, 37 degrees and there was plenty of snow higher up.

IMG_0189.jpg
Foggy, rainy and cold.

I didn't fish long (took much longer finding the area than I'd planned) as I had work this afternoon. Tried out the fly rod for the first time ever. Hooked some trees, some rocks, my own line, and my back once. No fish though, didn't find any good holes in the mile or so I hiked. Water was pretty high and fast and very COLD.

IMG_0192.jpg
New gear.

Legal trout fishing!
IMG_0191.jpg

B

Bad Tuna

Ah, Butte Creek that's a fun little stream, and there's miles to fish above the falls. I used to live on the Abiqua, that's a fun little stream too.

M

Modest_Man

Modest_Man said:
I didn't fish long (took much longer finding the area than I'd planned) as I had work this afternoon. Tried out the fly rod for the first time ever. Hooked some trees, some rocks, my own line, and my back once. No fish though, didn't find any good holes in the mile or so I hiked. Water was pretty high and fast and very COLD.

;)

B

BigShayne

sorry my add allowed me to see your pics and not read... ;-)

M

mgman6000

Sounds good to me it's only 18 miles from my house I looked up the park and it says it doesn't open until May first ,can you fish the creek before that I see it opened for fishing last saturday but is it accessible to a 65 year old?

G

GungasUncle

Hey Modest Man - how about a trip in say, 2 weeks to Butte Crk? This week is no-go for me, and next Wednesday is my wife's birthday, so that's out. Thursday I promised an afternoon of carping to my nephew. Wednesday or Thursday the 11th or 12th would work fine for me. I'll show you some of my fav spots up there and we'll see if we can't get you some flyrod fish!

And the shotshells are typical up there, especially the pullout about a mile or two before the parking area for the falls. Most of that area up there used to be open to target shooting - but there's tons of "No Shooting" signs up now, thanks to jackasses who shoot up signs, leave behind their empties, and leave piles of beer cans and bottles. It's a damn shame, because I used to love making a weekend camping/fishing/shooting trip up there.

And mgman6000 - I guess it all depends, access wise, as to how spry said 65 year old feels? The hike to the upper falls is pretty easy - and the stream above the falls has some nice easy-access portions to it, and you can hike/wade up or down stream about as far as you want, without a lot of climbing to do. There are a couple areas where you've got to either crawl under or over some large timber that's downed across the stream, or climb up the banks by some small rapids, but at least the first few miles above the falls is fairly easy. I'm not in the best of shape, and I don't pant too terribly much up there.

There's also Rhody lake, and some other lakes, if you can find them :) Easy walks around their banks, or put a small boat/toon/tube on and have the lake all to yourself. Drive up access and camping at Rhody.

G

GungasUncle

The wife & I forgot about a birthday party for my nephew we're supposed to attend on the 12th - we could still fish that day, but it'd be an early morning through early afternoon gig most likely - or, we could fish Thursday the 13th and have a more relaxed paced day, start early, fish later in the day, and see more water. Or we can hook up any wed/thurs after that - except the first week of June. I'm working those wed/thurs because I'm taking that first Friday-Sunday off for the get together down on the Santiam :)