Creek chub for bait?

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Can you use creek chub for bait....just wondering if anybody knows or has ever tried it?

troutdude
troutdude
I highly recommend that you read the reg book, before you do...just to be sure that you won't break any laws. They can't be live for sure. And I think that they have to be fished in the same body of water where they were caught. But, don't take my word for it...read the regs for yourself.

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Thanks for the feed back. The were caught from the mouth of a creek were it dumps into the columbia so I am guessing that would be considered the same body of water. Also I am not placeing them alive back into the water so I should be ok. I have looked in the Reg book and have found nothing about it. Thanks again.....

PS I hate that there is no spell check on here....LOL

troutdude
troutdude
SturgeonSurgeon said:
PS I hate that there is no spell check on here....LOL

Me too sometimes...LOL!

You're welcome and good luck.

I
Ifishforfood
i bet those chubs would work really good since their natural to the river. tip: fillet one side off the chub, then remove and use for the following. hook at the tail end , half hitch to the top then wrap stretchy thread all around the thing. next, give the fish a good amount of scent of your choice (shrimp,anise, crawdad or herring smelly jelly), and you should do well with that!

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Thanks for the tip but I want to make sure I understand you right. Fillet half the fish and then use the fillet on the hook and not the other half of the fish with the head on it? I have never tried to do that. I've always just used whole fish, but I will give it a shot for sure. Thanks a lot....

Reactions: bigsteel
I
Ifishforfood
sorry i didn't verify! no, fillet both sides and use each fillet. you can just discard the spine and head when doen filleting. good luck.....

Reactions: SturgeonSurgeon
S
SturgeonSurgeon
Thanks so much for the info. Its nice when people actually respond on here and share there tips....for that my good sir I will give you a rep point....

P
paulages
Are you talking plunking rigging here? If from a boat, why wouldn't you just rig like you would with a whole herring?