Crayfish,crawdad, mudbug or whatever...need some help

C
CFishRun
I'm in the process of finding a good crawfish holes close to Portland but as of yet (Clackamas) nothing I've tried produced.(Night long soke 6 crayfish). Also a good friend of mine said it was illegal to leave the trap out all night. Really? Why?

If you have info on this topic let me know because I'm in need of a mudbug boil something fierce.

Which reminds me I've got to thaw some salmon bones for tonight's trapping session.

H
Hawk
I read somewhere Nestucca has crawdads.

Timothy Lake has Crawdads...:D

Lots of folks leave traps out all night.

sometimes they git stolen so try to disguise with branch's, etc

Best of Luck Bro...:D

M
Markcanby
The Molalla is the best Bug water I have seen in the state. As for a spot I would try to hit some of the holes just above the Canby Pond Park. Just make sure you get it hide well or wait tell all the swimming is well over.

A
autofisher
I agree

I agree

I know it's not real real close to Portland, but Timothy Lake from what I know has always had some of the best crawdad around. They even boast about it in some of the fishing books that I have read. No matter where you go, hide your gear as best as you can, or stick real close to it. Sneaky hands are everywhere, and they love to take things that aren't theres.

kirkster
kirkster
Abernathy creek

Abernathy creek

The abernathy creek Is awesome for C dads. a lot of it is on private land but if you hed up Redland road there are a couple bridges at the beginning of redland rd. Ive let traps soak overnite ( which is not illeagal) Hell you dont even have to have a fishing licence to fish for crawdads. Anyhow an overnite soak with a shad bait traps were full up to the cones. And dont be afraid to ask permision on some of the private land I have several private spots on the abernathy. But I always tell the land owner when I put traps in and I always give them a time that I will return to pick them up. And one thing I will add its getting almost to late in the year as far as colder weather coming to start getting into it your hottest summer months are the best.

kirkster
kirkster
kirkster said:
The abernathy creek Is awesome for C dads. a lot of it is on private land but if you hed up Redland road there are a couple bridges at the beginning of redland rd. Ive let traps soak overnite ( which is not illeagal) Hell you dont even have to have a fishing licence to fish for crawdads. Anyhow an overnite soak with a shad bait traps were full up to the cones. And dont be afraid to ask permision on some of the private land I have several private spots on the abernathy. But I always tell the land owner when I put traps in and I always give them a time that I will return to pick them up. And one thing I will add its getting almost to late in the year as far as colder weather coming to start getting into it your hottest summer months are the best.

One way to keep your gear from getting stolen is fish two traps tied together about ten feet apart and when its time to retrieve toss a 3-way tied to a line and snag the line between the two traps. This wont work in all waters but in the abernathy it works great.

G
GDBrown
Bait for C-dads?

Bait for C-dads?

What's your favorite bait? I've always used canned tuna & only wait an hour during mid-day. Usually get a dozen or more in Dairy Creek west of Hillsboro. I think there are C-days in most of Oregon's fresh waters.

GD

H
Hawk
On a warm summer evening i've used rod, line, hook with a piece of nightcrawler & a flashlight...caught close to 200 just havin' fun's in a rocky area.

:lol::lol::lol:

kirkster
kirkster
GDBrown said:
What's your favorite bait? I've always used canned tuna & only wait an hour during mid-day. Usually get a dozen or more in Dairy Creek west of Hillsboro. I think there are C-days in most of Oregon's fresh waters.

GD

By far my favorite bait is shad. Its very oily and the skin is very tough so it takes the crawdads awhile to break through the skin and also the oily scent takes along time to dispurse giving you several hours of scent trail. I also use shad in all my crab traps and the results are awesome.

kirkster
kirkster
Just FYI

Just FYI

Hawk said:
On a warm summer evening i've used rod, line, hook with a piece of nightcrawler & a flashlight...caught close to 200 just havin' fun's in a rocky area.

:lol::lol::lol:

Hey hawk, Im not trying to get up in your buisness so please dont take offense. I just want to let you know that the legal methods fishing for crawdads is By hand,baited lines,net ,rings and traps (No hooks allowed) and I pretty sure the daily limit is 100. So be careful.

kirkster
kirkster
By the way

By the way

kirkster said:
By far my favorite bait is shad. Its very oily and the skin is very tough so it takes the crawdads awhile to break through the skin and also the oily scent takes along time to dispurse giving you several hours of scent trail. I also use shad in all my crab traps and the results are awesome.

By the way how are you doing GDbrown? Have you fished the OFF hole since I seen you there last. Sure had a great time hope to see you again on the river one of these days.

G
GDBrown
Not been back to OFF Hole

Not been back to OFF Hole

kirkster said:
By the way how are you doing GDbrown? Have you fished the OFF hole since I seen you there last. Sure had a great time hope to see you again on the river one of these days.

I've been playing with my little drift boat on "Lost Lake" in the coast range. I went up there after they put 300 Trophy trout in the lake. I tried a couple days on the Clack, Sandy & at the Cedar Creek bridge all with no luck. This next week I'm replacing all the windows in my house! I hope by then it will have rained some and brought more fish in. I'm still up for having you help me learn to drift the Clack.

GD

C
CFishRun
Thanks to all for the prompt replies. It seems as though it is getting down to the end of the season. Next year though I am going to let it rip on these tasty nuggets.

Also I catch a lot of squawfish in the Willy does any one have any info on this? Is it a favorable bait? It's oily, tough and seems to have its own distinct smell.

Any way good look to all mudbuggers and keep the links rolling because it's all good info.

* I have had limited success with salmon bones on the clack. Just for FYI purposes.

H
Hawk
Any oily fish should be good bait.

Salmon carcass is good.

Terry used to catch many crawdads...:D