Crawfishin' ?

P
pinstriper
OK, so I've never done this, either. And since they have a crawfish festival every summer in Tualatin, I cleverly deduce that there must be crawfish in the Tualatin River in the summer. I mean, it only stands to reason.

And I think I've walked by crawfish traps in BiMart.

Is this the kind of thing like crabbing where I could, for instance, paddle out on the Tualatin in my kayak (once I get a kayak), drop a crawfish trap or two (once I get a crawfish trap or two) mark them with floats or something, then come back a few hours later and pull up a bunch of tasty crawfish ?

B
Big3d
I think they ship the crawdads in now, but yes thwy are plentiful in the tualatin, question is to eat 'em or not, smell their environment then decide...

S
Smokey McFisher
I would check the regs book on water quality for what river you want to eat them from. There is a section in the reg book about how bad each area is or how clean it is. I know when I want crayfish I go up to Detroit and hit the rivers up. Always had a good haul there.

As far as traps go, i used one once, watched how well it worked in shallow waters; problem was once you get a ok sized one in there, they fend the rest off the opening. Also they can climb out of the traps as I saw many times, not sure if you can mod a trap to put a stop to this or not. I just turn over rocks for a while, or sometimes tie bait to a string and a rock so they can't take it and do it that way. Good hunting.

S
Snagglehook
I've been meaning to check out spots along the Clackamas this season in the Gladstone area. I know they are plentiful upriver: last year when bank fishing at the North Fork Res got slow, we dropped a trap and a bunch of crayfish started coming out to explore the bait (a chicken nugget). We ended up catching most of them by hand and with aquarium nets 'cause we got impatient waiting for them to find the entrances to the trap :D.

I've seen some old threads talking about Johnson Creek being a good spot back in the day. Anyone know if that's still the case?

Finally, while traps are productive, getting them by hand is so much more fun! Here's a nice video on how to make a crawdad spear.

G
grampa ron
I read somewhere, that crawdads don't absorb any pollution.

O
OnTheDrop
The Clack is plentiful, Mark.

P
pinstriper
Snagglehook said:
We ended up catching most of them by hand and with aquarium nets 'cause we got impatient waiting for them to find the entrances to the trap :D.

[snip]

Finally, while traps are productive, getting them by hand is so much more fun! Here's a nice video on how to make a crawdad spear.

That sounds like an awful lot of bending down for an old fat man.

S
Snagglehook
pinstriper said:

I see your point,...and raise you a solution! Waders in belly-deep water with a makeshift water window* and crawdad spear. ;)

Now as to toxins and pollutants, a few sources seem to indicate that they accumulate mostly in the fat and soft tissue, and minimally in the muscles. So if you just eat the tails and avoid the contents of the head you should be fine.

*I've been meaning to make one myself by gluing a sheet of plexiglass to a foam frame so it floats.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Benson Lake east of Troutdale used to be a treasure trove for crawfishin'.

W
wils
Please dont drop them out in a lake. They become instant "boating hazards". Toss your trap in about 10 or 20 feet from shore and tie your SINKING rope to a tree or rock on shore. Leave it over-night. You should get enough for bait but I dont know about a full human-sized meal....

D
DrTheopolis
Pretty sure they still do commercial crawdad harvest on the Tualatin (pretty sure I saw the buoys out last year). Tualatin, Timothy Lake, and the Willy are the main commercial crayfish spots, IIRC.

Wils makes a good point, and the same goes for crabtraps in the bay/ocean -- use weighted rope, or alternately, I've seen people attach alligator clips to weights then put them a few feet down the rope. Having a bunch of rope suspended just below the surface is indeed a boating hazard (I'm not sure, but I believe in Washington, law dictates you MUST use weighted rope when crabbing).

G
grampa ron
They have them at the fish store here. They come from Lake Billy Chinook.

EOBOY
EOBOY
pinstriper said:

Pin if you have grandkids just show them how to catch one and you won't have to catch another one:thumb:

P
pinstriper
Pretty sure there's no powerboating on the Tualatin to be a hazard to.

I have no kids or grandkids that I know of.

M
monkeyminion
In the Lower Nehalem river up in the coast range (google Spruce Run Campground) about 1n hour west of PDX, that place is crawling with crawdads. My wife and I went camping there earlier this year and while I didn't see a single fish, I caught a fair few crawdads on boloney and a stick.

H
Hawk
Sometimes in the summer I like to go out at night to a nearby pond, creek, or river to do a little fishing & catch some crawdads. I put a piece of night crawler on a fair sized hook, using a short rod. I can see them with my light. They grab the worm, I yank them to the shore....:D...lots of Fun....I usually use a 12volt light attached to a deep cycle battery, or I use a led light attached to my ball cap.

Other times I've done pretty good using a trap. I know a guy who used to get many crawdads out of Lake Billy Chinook. I'm not sure it's allowed anymore there.

C
coyo7e
pinstriper said:
The way I grew up crayfishing involved a stick, and a little net (usually made of some cheese cloth, needle and string, and a looped coathanger lashed or taped to a stick,) and I'd just wade around looking, see a cray, put the net a foot or two behind them and then poke the other stick down near their head - boom right into the net. No bending required - except elbows.. And this ain't "spear them one at a time" level either, this is "figure out how to tie a large bucket to yourself while keeping both hands free, and don't empty it until it weighs you down." You can get more than one into your net at a time with a little practise, and with the cheapo coathanger nets, you can just bend them to fit the type of rocks and such you're working with - need a pointy-ended net to get into that crevice and seal off all escape? Piece of cake, 3 seconds' of work for a 10 year-old! :D

Many buckets full from coastal streams and the Umpqua.. Did it in the stream that runs out through Yachats a few years back, when my family owned a place by that T intersection just over the bridge a few miles upstream where Spring Drive stops (one side cuts north up a gravel/dirt road, the other cuts south toward cape perpetuaand eventually comes out on 101 or 34, iirc).. We filled 3 5-gallon buckets full within 75 yards of that bridge, for our family reunion.. Took a few hours and a few people, but nothing like the work involved in trying to use a snake-pinning stick on crayfish underwater, while figuring out the diffraction! ;)

My folks sold the house since then so feel free to go up there and try for them crayfish, I've thrown a few traps in and gotten enough to top a single serving of pasta or something similar, but it seems like you kinda need to check your traps regularly, or they self-limit at very small numbers.
Hawk said:
Sometimes in the summer I like to go out at night to a nearby pond, creek, or river to do a little fishing & catch some crawdads. I put a piece of night crawler on a fair sized hook, using a short rod. I can see them with my light. They grab the worm, I yank them to the shore....:D...lots of Fun....I usually use a 12volt light attached to a deep cycle battery, or I use a led light attached to my ball cap.

Other times I've done pretty good using a trap. I know a guy who used to get many crawdads out of Lake Billy Chinook. I'm not sure it's allowed anymore there.
When I was very little we used to do this in muddy sloughs during daylight hours, at a place that belonged to some relatives of mine down in So Cal (I think near Bakersfield, I was VERY young, definitely near the desert).. We'd take a fishing rod with line and a big swivel (or just a paperclip on a stick with string or line) and a piece of turkey skin or chicken skin.. Drop it down to the bottom, wait a half a minute, pull it back up slowly and evenly - and crayfish on the end almost every time, no need to see them once you get a rhythmn and/or half a feel for them nipping the bait while you're hovering just off the bottom. :D

Last edited:
C
Critter
I've always had poor success with traps. The most productive method I've found is this: Get a kid's minnow/frog net and a coffee can. Punch holes in the can to allow water flow through it. Find a crawdad, put the can behind it, and chase it into the can with the net. On Bear Creek, I used to limit out within a couple hours.