Crawfish question

D
donjduck2
I hope I'm posting this question in the right spot if no my appology.I am wanting to catch some crawdads and was wondering if anyone knew of some good spots around the Cottage Grove/surrounding area or within 50 miles.I have tried several of the local rivers and creeks but the crawdads are rather small usually about 2"-4" long.I'm wanting some that run larger so it would be worth my while to catch them.Anyone know a good spot maybe even an area that i could do some camping at the same time.

F
Finneus Polebender
Some of the best crawdading around can be found in the Clay creek /whitacker creek and the Siuslaw river above mapleton . generally best towards mid august -late sept . Get ya some beef liver and let it sit out and spoil . Throw it in a bait cage find a narrow spot in the creek /river and hold it to the bottom using river rock . Get some 1/2 in mesh nets and go down stream 100yrds I usually strap a 5 gal bucket to my side through my belt . all ya gotta do is work your way to the bait netting them all the way there. Great fun slippin and slidin with the kids on a hot summer day ,and a tasty treat to boot ! Although you prob already know just grab the middle section of the tail give a half twist and pull to remove the poopshoot boil and enjoy . Been a while since Ive went after them so check the regs not sure if you need a license ,and dont know what bag limits are . Used to be no license required think limit was 100 each but I would recomend you check . Caught one in whitaker creek one year that measured almost 8 in. There are campgrounds at both whitaker and Clay creeks ,however I would do my crawdadin some where other than right at camp those stretches get picked on pretty hard ! good luck and let us know how ya do!

Last edited:
M
Markcanby
I love to Molalla dads they are like small lobsters!

R
rippin fish lips
Finneus Polebender said:
Some of the best crawdading around can be found in the Clay creek /whitacker creek and the Siuslaw river above mapleton . generally best towards mid august -late sept . Get ya some beef liver and let it sit out and spoil . Throw it in a bait cage find a narrow spot in the creek /river and hold it to the bottom using river rock . Get some 1/2 in mesh nets and go down stream 100yrds I usually strap a 5 gal bucket to my side through my belt . all ya gotta do is work your way to the bait netting them all the way there. Great fun slippin and slidin with the kids on a hot summer day ,and a tasty treat to boot ! Although you prob already know just grab the middle section of the tail give a half twist and pull to remove the poopshoot boil and enjoy . Been a while since Ive went after them so check the regs not sure if you need a license ,and dont know what bag limits are . Used to be no license required think limit was 100 each but I would recomend you check . Caught one in whitaker creek one year that measured almost 8 in. There are campgrounds at both whitaker and Clay creeks ,however I would do my crawdadin some where other than right at camp those stretches get picked on pretty hard ! good luck and let us know how ya do!

agreed!! massive amounts of crawdad there.

I
Ifishforfood
im not thinking this is your area, but if your ever in vernonia, go to the nehalem river for crawdads. they are not only huge, but abundant! also, you dont need a license for crawdads, but the limit is still 100 a day.

N
nwkiller
rippin fish lips said:
agreed!! massive amounts of crawdad there.

2x, also check out lake creek, ive seen it run red before

D
donjduck2
Thanks for the info guys it sure helps out.I'm hoping to go in about two weeks,I just have to see if my buddy has the time off and it will give me a little time to buy a couple traps to use.I plan on letting the traps set with a can of cheap tuna catfood and while they soak net a few more.I'll let you all know how it goes.