Crawdad's Near Corvallis?

M
mhjorth
Hey everyone!

I discovered this site earlier today while searching around on the net and have been reading for hours. Love the info located on here so I decided to join.

I'm curious if anyone knows of any spots to throw in a crawdad trap or two around the Corvallis/Albany area? I'd like to be able to travel to some of the usual spots such as Timothy lake but with gas prices how they are currently, I just can't afford it :(

Anyways, any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome

Welcome

Welcome to OFF,mhjorth! I can't help you with your hunt for the crawdads,but there are several members from your area that should be able to set you on the right trail. Happy hunting!
Barb

J
JTLunker
I know the Willamette has craws, but Im not sure if the water is cleaner downthere than up here. Also there are a ton of warm water ponds and lakes down there that will probally have some craw. Im sure someone from your area will either confirm or deny this.

Troutski
Troutski
Res....

Res....

I know the local res. all have dads in them, the hard part is knowing where to toss the traps. I would try around the boat launches and camp grounds, even though Oregon Fishing Regs. are very clear about where to clean your catch. Most anglers clean there catch at the ramp or there camp grounds. So I would try there first. I used to use bacon as bait...worked very well. Just my opinion.

Chuck

M
mhjorth
Thanks a lot for the welcome and the info!

Definitely gives me something to try out when I'm not busy searching for a job :cool:

If anyone wants to do some fishing around Corvallis area, just let me know. I may not know the spots, but I'm definitely down to go and try whatever. I'm still an amateur in the grand scheme of things but I just like to get out there... :)

C
chris61182
I'd probably avoid eating craws out of the Willamette. They're probably mostly ok, but given the mercury warnings I'd definitely avoid giving them to the wife and kids.

Though there should be plenty of other great places around. I'm always seeing empty shells when ever I'm at Green Peter so that might be worth checking, and the Alsea River is definitely well populated as well.

I'm sure with a little exploring you'll soon be telling us all about where to find them in the mid-valley.

H
Hawk
I hear thar are many big'un crawdaddies in Lake Billy Chinook............................:D:D:D...............:cool:

O
Osprey
The Alsea river is full of dads!!! I used to go over and catch them by the hundreds...MMMMMMMMM Good Eatin'!!!:cool:

M
mhjorth
Thanks for the info guys! Been too busy the last couple of weeks with other things, including a failed fishing trip to Newport :p

I am thinking this week may be a good one to go out again, considering the temp and the fact that we don't have AC in our place.. :)

Anyone from Corvallis area interested?

M
MOONCRICKET
I just found this site on google while looking for crawdad spots in Benton county. Last weekend I tried putting in a few traps in the North Fork of the Santiam, but came up empty handed. I used tuna as bait... maybe they don't like tuna? I am going to try some chicken bones next. Basically, what we had left over from a bucket of KFC.

Do you need a license to catch them here in Oregon? From what I have heard, you don't need one. If anyone knows differently, speak up though, I will be checking back.

Also, some of the crawdads I ate here last year had a different coloration to them than what I remember seeing in Louisiana. Are they a different species? The ones down south look more tawny in color (not like Tawny Kitaen's hair color, ironically, enough). When you eat the ones here, do you "suck the brains" like down south or not?

I think I am going to give the creek near Crescent Valley High school in Corvallis a try today. I remember seeing crawdads there a few years back. Wish me luck!

M
MOONCRICKET
Just an update... I left my crawdad trap overnight on the creek by Crescent Valley High school and got about 9 crawdads, but most of them were tiny... too small to eat. 2 of them were good sized. All of them were very dark, almost black in color.

After I boiled them for about 20 minutes, they had not really even changed to red, except in a few areas. I normally would boil crawdads for about 10 minutes , and by that time they would be bright red. I wonder why these ones didn't change color. I've attached some before and after pics of my afternoon appetizer.

Last edited by a moderator:
H
Hawk
Crawdads adapt (color) to the environment they live in, so they kin hide from predators....................:shock:.........................:rolleyes:................................:D

C
chris61182
So I guess the question is, how'd they taste?

Also if you're spending much time up by Crescent Valley, I'd take a small spinning rod and spinner with next time. I've seen a few fish in there in the past, so it might be worth your time.

M
MOONCRICKET
They tasted pretty good actually.

The water where I put the traps is only about 2 feet at the deepest. I'm sure Jackson creek gets a little bit deeper in other spots, but I'm not sure where.

I think Mary's creek is the next spot I will try .. I will be sure to let you guys know how it goes!

L
lizardman
I grew up in Albany; graduated high school at West Albany in 1988.

anywhere on the Calipooia (spelling?) is good, also go to 1st street in Albany and go to Perrywinkle creek as there were always many crawdads there. I never used a trap but always came home with a bucketful by tying bacon on fishing line and letting the craws grab the bacon (they won't let go if you bring it in slow and steady).

Also any of the little creeks or streams around there used to be good. Also yellowbottom/Quartz creek area just east of Sweet Home was good. Anywhere on the Santiam was good (some places were better than others).

Dave

B
brysageek
DADS in the Smith River

DADS in the Smith River

if you end up in the are of upper Vincent Creek area there are plenty of dad and I think that the travel would not be to bad at all! I think that the Poodle Road area can provide a 'Back door' to the Smith River area I have seen lots of dads in this area as well as Camp creek I pulled about 70 out in an hour out of camp creek!