Crawdads in Central Oregon

oriahma

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows what the best places to go catch crawdads in Central Oregon are...where NOT to go is helpful too. Looking to use traps, and also go out in shallow water and let the kids grab 'em.

(Crawdad, crawdads, crayfish, crawfish)

R

R&M Boatsaleslady

Well not sure about Central oregon butt!!!!!! Molalla has HUGE crawfish! ") This is the smallest one we cought Deeder thought if she had the smallest one to hold for the first time she might not get pinched and well she didn't but she sure had a good time with them.... DEEDERS FIRST CRAWFISH....Deeder crawfishing.jpg

Ok, my boys have been crawdad huntin’ while I use spinners for steelhead. They have much better success than I have.

They have insisted we bring their meager catches home to boil them for a little taste. They love them. I love crawfish jambalaya and have a great recipe. I thought it might be fun for the boys to target crawfish. Where is the hole you describe? Do you set traps or use a line? I guess I just looking for some free guidance how to help my boys get a pot load of crawfish.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

CPLLEWIS

Depending on where you are in Central Oregon, Bend proper have some great places on the Deschutes. Also Prineville Res. and Ochoco Res. are good for traps. PM me if you need some specific locations.

troutmasta

I bet most creeks in the forest, start flippin rocks! I LOVE catchin crawdads! I catch em at pretty much every body of water I can think of.

skyhammer

When fishing at Wickiup, I throw some traps out by the dam.
When at Paulina, I throw traps out between the Lodge and the red slide.

TTFishon

When fishing at Wickiup, I throw some traps out by the dam.
When at Paulina, I throw traps out between the Lodge and the red slide.
This last October I had a trap out in the Davis Arm for 2 days using the guts from a large rainbow and the only thing I caught were sticklebacks. lol

dtikey

haystack out in the grasslands inbetween prineville and madras used to always hold lots of big crawdadsoff the rock wall from the boat ramp to the dam.Dont know if still does as this was 8 or so years ago.I know they used to also have a big crawdad feast out thier every year becuse there was so many.

troutmasta

do you guys have your crawdads swim in milk so they are encouraged to discharge thier waste before you cook em? thats how we did it when i was a kid.