Crawdad info needed: What to do after they're caught?

C
CLW7
I need to know some things about what to do after catching the crawdads. We caught a bunch last year but they all died over night. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

When transporting them home in a big bin, does there need to be a lot of water in there or just a little bit, and should there be rocks?

Do we need to eat them the same day we catch them or can we keep them alive in a bin for a day or two?

If we can keep them a couple days before eatting them, what do we do to keep them alive?

When we are ready to eat them what is the process of cooking them? I read this in one of the posts: "just grab the middle section of the tail give a half twist and pull to remove the poopshoot boil and enjoy". Do you really need to do that while they are alive before you put them in the boiling water?

T
Thuggin4Life
I would assume that you would traet them just like crabs for transportation and cooking.

C
CLW7
I don't know anything about transporting and cooking crabs either. I've never caught them.

T
The Nothing
Keep them cool and damp. Sawdust soaked in the water they came from, or non-clorinated water, will work for a day or two. A layer of ice on top could help out if you have a long drive. You're still going to get some casualties though. Eating as soon as they're out of the water, of course, the the most ideal way to go

As for cooking, there are a ton of ways to go. I prefer boiling whole while still alive. Lil Old Bay seasoning in the water, or, better yet, Nantucket Shellfish Boil and you're set.

H
Hawk
I fill up most of the way a 5 gallon plastic bucket, with cold water from where they live.
Many times i will use an air pump i got from WallyWorld (uses 2-D batteries).

Or you could use a 120 volt aquarium pump, if'n you have a generator.

They get more oxygen if you use more buckets, less crawdads each one.

:lol::lol::lol:
:cool:

T
Thuggin4Life
Keeping them cold slows them down but keeps them alive. use water from where there are from but remember they are gonna use up the oxygen in the water on a long drive so i think thats why ice helps. some people say to transport them dry and cold. cooking them as soon as you can is the best in boiling water with butter and some seasoning. like pepper, salt, and xltom turned me onto that old bay and i wouldn't eat them without it. I would clean them once they are cooked. and i wont start eating until all the cleaning is done making a way better meal in the end instead of just bites here and there. once you have all the meat in a bowl season again to taste and drizzle some butter with a bit of fresh chopped garlic that had been in the microwave just for a few seconds to melt it all. mmmmmm!

J
JeannaJigs
Making me hungry!! I've never dealt with them, always had them cooked and cleaned and ready to eat by the time they make it to my plate :) so I know nothing...and I like it that way...I feel bad boiling things alive myself, even if they are spineless.

C
cookshot
When I was a kid we used to catch several thousand from Timothy Lake and I seem to remember that we would keep them in a big holding bin in the water (made of the same stuff as crawdad traps) Then we would just put them on ice in Big coolers right before we left. It was from Timothy lake to Molalla, so it was a bit of a drive, but we didn't lose many. We boiled them live and whole.

C
CrawfishPDX
I froze a dozen crawdads alive in my freezer for fish bait a few weeks ago and the next day they were still twitching. So I would suggest keep them in water and when your ready to head home put them on ice in a cooler.

The way I cook my crawdads is I boil them with some garlic salt and a little butter. I usually keep them in for about 10 minutes just to make sure all the bacteria is killed and they are nice and red just like a lobster. I take them out tear off any big claws and like you said give the tail a nice twist. Clean the poop shoot then eat it :)

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I dive for them on the Siletz and have an ice bag made of that space blanket material. I just throw them in there right out of the river and they are tasty at the end of the day and over an hours drive home. To me, getting them chilled with their system slowed down to a near halt immediately out of the water is key.

M
Markcanby
I put them in a paper bag in the freezer one year cause I had about 20 an was going to get more the next day. Well I forgot for a week took them out an after about 15min of warm air they were all still alive!!:shock: So I would keep them in the freezer.

F
Finneus Polebender
Definitely want them live they are like crab will exhaust the oxygen if left in unairated water . will live up to 2 days if kept cool and damp otherwise keep them in cool airated water had one in my fish tank as a kid lived for 3 months ! middle fin half twist and pull boil for 5min or so and a little lemon garlic butter dang makin myself hungry !

C
COOP
Aren't you supposed to put them in salt water or something for them to purge the poop??

N
nwkiller
perging not needed, when you peel then if you do it correctly, that will come with everything...pretty sweet

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
If you ever get the Dairy Queen Popcorn Shrimp, don't ever peel the breaded shell off
If you are worried about poopshoots.

F
Finneus Polebender
COOP said:
Aren't you supposed to put them in salt water or something for them to purge the poop??

Always put salt in the boil not necessary just prefer it ,pot gets to boiling quicker. and yep Zen youd be right on the popcorn thing not just DQ though > luckily would have to eat large amount of undercooked shoots to feel the hurt!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Wow. "The hurt". That's kinda frightening actually haha.

F
Finneus Polebender
GraphiteZen said:
Wow. "The hurt". That's kinda frightening actually haha.

lol looks like the cartoon dudes are runnin for the john that would be the hurt!!!!!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
hahaha OMG OHNOZ!!! haha

M
Markcanby
Finneus Polebender said:
lol looks like the cartoon dudes are runnin for the john that would be the hurt!!!!!

You know they do look like the guys at the shop in the morning when the bathroom is full.LOL