crappie help

Z
zarboth
well this guy bye the last name of hartman came two are school a while back and talked about warmwater fish and mentioned crappie and that it was a easy fish to catch so i want to try for em and pepole say a bobber and worm are good so i want to know if anyone has fisshed them at blue lake and if so how highe do i put the bobber how far do i cast what type of pole do i need

troutdude
troutdude
zarboth said:
well this guy bye the last name of hartman came two are school a while back and talked about warmwater fish and mentioned crappie and that it was a easy fish to catch so i want to try for em and pepole say a bobber and worm are good so i want to know if anyone has fisshed them at blue lake and if so how highe do i put the bobber how far do i cast what type of pole do i need

Bobber and worm is "okay" for Crappie. But, you'll catch more bluegill than crappie.

I MUCH prefer Crappie Jigs, instead of worms. Jigs are really cheap, and you can find them in any decent sporting goods department (Freddy's, Bi-Mart, etc).

Try different colors, and start about 3' feet under the bobber. Twitch your rod tip, let the jig sit. Wait 30 seconds or so, and twitch the jig again. Repeat.

Cast just a bit out from the shoreline, just past any weeds or brush. You should do fine.

REMEMBER: Crappie swim in schools. When you get one, remove it as fast as you are able. Then, re-cast your jig right back into the same spot/hole that you got the first fish. WHAM! There will be more.

Enjoy.

P.S. Don't go after 'em w/ a 9 foot Salmon Rod and monster sized reel. Instead use the smallest / lightest rod and reel that you have. It will be MUCH more fun.

Z
zarboth
thanks and bluegill would be good two because i just want to catch somthing lol should i use same thing just this time throw it in and leave it and can you eat bluegill

C
craigatkins
don't discount just casting and retieving as well, without a bobber. We have had good luck on the retrieve, once it gets back to the dock let it rest on the bottom and then just raise and lower it a bit. We use any little jig, yellow, red, white, black etc. I find that the ones made of hair are better than the ones made of plastic, I think the larger plastic ones don't allow the fish to get hooked as well. They are a bit hard to clean at first, but once you get the hang of fileting them you are on your way. Takes about 5-7 fish per person to get a really good meal.

Z
zarboth
im going to fred myer tonight i need some good jgs names pleas

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome ZB.

Bluegill are good to eat, as long as they (like any other fish) aren't coming out of toxic waters. They are smaller than Crappie. But, they are fun to catch.

For bluegill, use the worm and bobber. And you do NOT need more than 1/4 of a worm on the hook (maybe 1/3 depending on the worm's size). Use the same "jigging" technique as for Crappie.

Have fun!

troutdude
troutdude
X 2 on using the jigs w/ hair...plastic ones suck.

Z
zarboth
troutdude could you go to cabella or some other site pull up a good jig and post a link for me?

M
Markcanby
Fredys sells some rubber body jigs I have caught a lot of crappie on this spring go for 1/16 or 1/32 in pearl,white an red or chartreuse. The only bad thing about crappie is if you dont have the color of the day they wont bite. Also you can put a worm on the jig an catch both crappie an bluegill.

F
fishing man
ive always had a lot of luck on crappie nibbles for bluegill and crappie ive also caught smallerbass on them