Crappie fishing tips please

C
cabe
Hi all,

I followed the forum and found suggestions for crappie:

Pine Hollow Lakeside & DEXTER STATE RECREATION SITE

My friend and I are planning to head out around 11am this thursday. We don't have a boat. If you have fish for crappie in these places, could you share some tips about time/place to make the trip worthwhile for us? We are taking half day off and it's about 2 hours drive for us. Thanks in advance. Great forum!!!

Reactions: OnTheFly
1aB
I haven't fished crappie in OR yet but...in another state I can usually catch them where available shoreline fishing off rock dams if present. Think the broken rock faces provides cover structure. Best method for me is throwing 1/16 fluff jigs on 4# mono as far out as possible then retrieving near bottom as slow as possible without snagging. Small plastics like 2 - 3" twisters will work too. In my experience the fish seem to spread out both horizontally and vertically in this type of evironment and covering distance to find them seems advantageous, as opposed to setting in one spot dunking bait. Nice thing about small jig dam walking is bonus other species surprises!

F
FishSchooler
1aB said:
I haven't fished crappie in OR yet but...in another state I can usually catch them where available shoreline fishing off rock dams if present. Think the broken rock faces provides cover structure. Best method for me is throwing 1/16 fluff jigs on 4# mono as far out as possible then retrieving near bottom as slow as possible without snagging. Small plastics like 2 - 3" twisters will work too. In my experience the fish seem to spread out both horizontally and vertically in this type of evironment and covering distance to find them seems advantageous, as opposed to setting in one spot dunking bait. Nice thing about small jig dam walking is bonus other species surprises!

You also could do the count-down method. Cast once, count to 2 then retrieve, cast another, count to 4 then retrieve, and so on and when you catch a fish that's what depth they are at. :cool:

C
cavdad45
Use a one-inch Bass assassin threaded on a 1/16oz jig head under a slide bobber. Just adjust the bobber stops for the depth you find the slabs holding at. My color preferences are white or pearl, but sometime do well with yellow. Tube skirts are okay, but I have found Bass Assassins to be my confidence rig.

C
Chief Jim
cavdad45 said:
Use a one-inch Bass assassin threaded on a 1/16oz jig head under a slide bobber. Just adjust the bobber stops for the depth you find the slabs holding at. My color preferences are white or pearl, but sometime do well with yellow. Tube skirts are okay, but I have found Bass Assassins to be my confidence rig.

I have fished for crappie all over the country from Virgina (3 pounders back there) to Missouri and into Colorado. We almost always used live minnows and crappie love 'em. Problem is you can't fish live minnows in Oregon, and the crappie must be thanking the state for that!
But I was fishing with a friend of mine in a res. just outside of Denver some years ago. We were fishing around some stumps (cover is good when fishing for crappie) and right around the dam. We were using live minnows and jigs and not doing well at all. But just down the way was an old man and his grandson, and they were murdering the crappie like it was it was downtown Chicago and Buggsy Malone! Well, I might not know everything there is to know about fishing, but I know when to pay attention. I walked down there to see what they were using for bait (as they hauled 2 more nice ones out of the water). Shammi -like ya use to wipe down a car. Pieces cut in a small triangle about 1/2" wide at the top and about 3/4" long and nothing else on the hook! Try it. Stuff tends to flutter as it drifts down below a spit shot. Works when even live minnows don't. Well, at least, it did in Colorado!
Chief Jim

C
cavdad45
Chief Jim said:
I have fished for crappie all over the country from Virgina (3 pounders back there) to Missouri and into Colorado. We almost always used live minnows and crappie love 'em. Problem is you can't fish live minnows in Oregon, and the crappie must be thanking the state for that!
But I was fishing with a friend of mine in a res. just outside of Denver some years ago. We were fishing around some stumps (cover is good when fishing for crappie) and right around the dam. We were using live minnows and jigs and not doing well at all. But just down the way was an old man and his grandson, and they were murdering the crappie like it was it was downtown Chicago and Buggsy Malone! Well, I might not know everything there is to know about fishing, but I know when to pay attention. I walked down there to see what they were using for bait (as they hauled 2 more nice ones out of the water). Shammi -like ya use to wipe down a car. Pieces cut in a small triangle about 1/2" wide at the top and about 3/4" long and nothing else on the hook! Try it. Stuff tends to flutter as it drifts down below a spit shot. Works when even live minnows don't. Well, at least, it did in Colorado!
Chief Jim

We used to cut that stuff up and put it in a ziplock bag with Fish Formula attractant. Just enough to soak in to the shammy but not swimming in it.

I agree with the minnows. Used them a couple weeks ago at Lake Toho for crappie that averaged 14 inches. Cheaper than wild shiners, too.

H
Hawk
In OR i've c&r some biggun crappie with rapala shallow diving lures(perch colors)..............:D

in CA at naciemiento lake we caught many crappie with pink 1/16oz jigs....................:D