Crane Prairie Res

J
JMac
Hey everybody...my first post! New to Oregon (Portland) and just bought a canoe for some family fishing and camping adventures. Was looking for a nice place to do some late May/early June paddling/camping/fishing and was told that Crane Prairie Resevoir or Wickuip Resevoir would be good places to go and not freeze butt off at night. I'm taking an 8 year old who hasn't been camping and want to ease him in and not show him a cold miseable time. Anyone who has been to this area have any advice on what its like this time of year and what to expect for fishing. I'll mostly be spin fishing but would also bring fly rod alone if advised. Thanks..

O
Outdrsmn
early june and late my can be freezing cold up there or nice and hot...but always the nights are cold. I wouldn't recommend wickiup or crane if you have never fished these places. My suggestion would be south twin or lava...but that doesn;t help the cold situation...

J
JeannaJigs
Lava still has snow, it's cold. Actually all those high cascade lakes are freezing cold at night, dropping into the 30's and 40's. Last august I was at lava, it was about 70 during the day, woke up to snow. The weather at that altitude is very unpredictable, but it's always chilly at night.

J
JMac
Thanks guys...guess I'll look for some lower altitude lakes for the overnight trips then.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Try Diamond Lake!

B
beaverfan
Ya Diamond would be good, but a much closer option is North Fork Reservoir right outside of Estacada.

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

JMac said:
Hey everybody...my first post! New to Oregon (Portland) and just bought a canoe for some family fishing and camping adventures. Was looking for a nice place to do some late May/early June paddling/camping/fishing and was told that Crane Prairie Resevoir or Wickuip Resevoir would be good places to go and not freeze butt off at night. I'm taking an 8 year old who hasn't been camping and want to ease him in and not show him a cold miseable time. Anyone who has been to this area have any advice on what its like this time of year and what to expect for fishing. I'll mostly be spin fishing but would also bring fly rod alone if advised. Thanks..

Welcome to the site, I would say that most of the lakes in Central Oregon will be very cold at night and windy during the day...Spring comes in with a punch in your neck of the woods.
You might try South Twin not only is it a great little lake but the wind isn't as much of a pain...they also have cabins available right on the lake...very cool. One year we spent four days in one of the cabins and fished right in front of our cabin and did very well. With a canoe you will be in a far better position that we were fishing from the shore line.
What ever you choose be safe and take your camera...what a view.

Chuck

S
steelhead_stalkers
Troutski said:
Welcome to the site, I would say that most of the lakes in Central Oregon will be very cold at night and windy during the day...Spring comes in with a punch in your neck of the woods.
You might try South Twin not only is it a great little lake but the wind isn't as much of a pain...they also have cabins available right on the lake...very cool. One year we spent four days in one of the cabins and fished right in front of our cabin and did very well. With a canoe you will be in a far better position that we were fishing from the shore line.
What ever you choose be safe and take your camera...what a view.

Chuck

I do love south twin, fished there once with my dad and uncle. For the most part we camp at twin and fish Wickiup for big browns. The nice thing about that area is that you can be at six different trout fisheries in less than an hour!!

H
Hawk
JMac said:

Howdy BRO & your beloved youngster. Welcome to the Family....................:D:D

You mite like the warmer nites campin' at one of the campgrounds aroun Fern Ridge Lake or Kirk pond. It looked like folks were havin' a lot of Fun thar.......................:D:D:D