Crane Prairie Res / Hosmer Lake

P
playhooky
Spent a few days on Crane and one on Hosmer this week. Those prize classed rainbows in Crane are scattered throughout the reservoir.....not concentrated to the channels as the water temps I read were 49-54. The bite slow but always worthy when it occurred. Inflated night crawlers seemed to be the featured lunch special but then again I didn't bother soaking any power bait flavors so not sure what that might have produced. Chironomids fished within 10-12" of the bottom (under an indicator) also triggered the strike but again, you had to put in your time. Generally tame waters in the mornings with those stiff Prairie breezes in the afternoons. Chili evenings.

Hosmer: First time on that water for me (beautiful place). Busy little lake for this time of year but nice weather of course and a recent significant planting of cutties brought lots of bug wands to the scene. I stayed in the lower pool with my tube because of the constant light chop. Didn't feel like battling it. After a few hours my feet were calling for coals so I made my exit but not before releasing a beautiful 18" bow, allowing another hook-up to come unpinned and releasing a frisky little Atlantic Salmon. I threw varied OFFerings but hooked all three of these on a size 14 Possie Bugger nymph. Good times! The pic is of a 20" Cranebow I released. Cheers!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430503205.852700.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
This time of the year they are hanging near the shallows under the many logs!

W
wils
which part of the lake has the 50+ temps?

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
50 plus are you joking?

P
playhooky
I put in at the Forest Service Campground launch on the Blue Loop (next to site #113). The temps on Monday were 49 when I launched and 54 later on that afternoon. Water temps varied a little while I was there and showed 45 on Thursday morning. Not sure what it got down to Wednesday night but there was a light frost present on a few things when I rolled out. Nights are still quite nippy at Crane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W
wils
thanks for the temps. good info for bassin'. :)