Crane Prairie 5/31 & 6/1

I'm headed out to Crane Prairie the weekend after the holiday. I'll be there Friday and Saturday. Looking for bass and I'll probably try for the bows too. Will anyone else be there that weekend? I'm gonna be in my kayak and always interested in meeting other anglers, whether on the water or at camp. Staying at Rock Creek.

hobster

We were up there last week and water temp was good but I can’t remember it. We were fishing for cranebows though, found a bunch! They are still spread out, although the channels are a good bet. I would explore, our best fishing was not in the channels

We were up there last week and water temp was good but I can’t remember it. We were fishing for cranebows though, found a bunch! They are still spread out, although the channels are a good bet. I would explore, our best fishing was not in the channels
Thanks hobster, good to know. I've only been there once, and it's huge. It was late July so I had my best success in the channel out from the Quinn launch. I'll be in a kayak so total distance is a huge factor for me. Any advice on a ramp to launch from that will bare decent results? I had planned to fish the NW area for bass part of my time, launching near the resort probably. Any chance for trout success up there?

hobster

I have only launched at the Quinn ramp at Crane but we motored around quite a bit. It can be great fishing there, most people we talked to were doing well. Maybe hit a couple of ramps since you'll be there for the weekend? I love Quinn so haven't explored too much outside of that area. I went last year on my toon, was a blast. That wind whips up pretty quick and can be a nightmare on a small craft, I'd stay close to the ramps. Such a special place, have fun!

I have only launched at the Quinn ramp at Crane but we motored around quite a bit. It can be great fishing there, most people we talked to were doing well. Maybe hit a couple of ramps since you'll be there for the weekend? I love Quinn so haven't explored too much outside of that area. I went last year on my toon, was a blast. That wind whips up pretty quick and can be a nightmare on a small craft, I'd stay close to the ramps. Such a special place, have fun!
No doubt about the wind. Last time I had to paddle from basically the dam clear across to Quinn head on into the wind. I had fished my way more or less along the back all the way over, then the wind hit. The waves felt enormous. At times water came right over the bow and into my sit inside kayak. I now have a sit on top that can't swamp, and a lot more experience.
But yeah, I'm going to move around and hit as much water as I can. I liked the Quinn area but didn't do well on bass. I would likely have more confidence in trout there cause my success last time. Thanks!

GaryP1958

Launch at the dam its a bit more protected alot of bass in the channel just down stream from it! Some big ones in there mixed in with the wood and logs can be a challenge to pull them out before the go back into cover!

Dnyed

I've never fished Crane before, but am hoping to try it out in the next few weeks. Do the bass go for flies much? If I use woolly buggers will I have a chance at both bass and trout?