Crabbing/fishing

C
Crabbed_Out
Going to be in newport this weekend anyone hear anything about the crabbing from the dock out there? Also any good spots to fish from the shore? Anything will help thanks!

Mike.

S
silkiechicken
Most of the dock crabs are red rocks. I've seen very few dungies get pulled up, and the ones that come up are usually female. Chicken seems to be a favorite bait and I think fish would work better, but those sea lions are always around.

B
Bass Ackwards
Crabbed_Out said:
Going to be in newport this weekend anyone hear anything about the crabbing from the dock out there? Also any good spots to fish from the shore? Anything will help thanks!

Mike.
The south jetty is a good spot to fish at. Sandshrimp usually works best. And if your going crabbing I would go to the Historic waterfront right next to tradewinds charters right by the ice cream shop. I usually do better there and it's not usually as crowded as the crabbing pier. I've also caught perch there too. But like silkie said "Most are red rocks". But they're still quite tasty. GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited:
C
Crabbed_Out
Thanks guys hope to do good out there this weekend!

B
BlackBass
Buddy Fished Newport last weekend the Perch were on the bite near the green can he did alright crabbing the bay out of a boat. That was Sunday .

F
Fishydog
If you can't pick any there you might try the Embarcadero. They have a private dock but you can use it, it's further back in the bay and when the weather's nice crabs will more back into the bay to feed and to get away from the crowds on the pier :rolleyes:

S
silkiechicken
I always thought Embarcadero was for residents and people staying there. Isn't it key'ed access?

K
kfallscody
My GF and I are headed to Newport on the 25th for our annual spring getaway to the coast. I plan on fishing and crabbing! I have yet to ever bring fish home from the coast so I am determined this time! :) I seem to have some funky ocean fishing curse or something.... it has got to go though! :)

As you can imagine I am reading any and all topics about fishing/crabbing this area with great interest. So any knowledge that anybody could pass my way will be GREATLY appreciated. :)

C
Crabbed_Out
Stayed at the Embarcadero this weekend got a limit both days of red rock and a few dungeness crab it was a great weekend!

B
Bass Ackwards
Crabbed_Out said:
Stayed at the Embarcadero this weekend got a limit both days of red rock and a few dungeness crab it was a great weekend!

NICE!! Thanks for the report

T
Tom
A few years ago we did very well crabbing in spring by the Rogue Brewery, and the beer is pretty good too!

Is September a good time to crab in Newport? Where would be good crabbing in September north of Newport without a boat?

I think a license in needed now. True?

B
bassman503
The crabs get fat in the Fall. Around Rogue Brewery is pretty fair. You do need a shell fish license